VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild

cculella
    cculella

Number of posts : 110
    Registration date : 2011-02-03

Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild Empty Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild

Post by cculella Mon May 16, 2011 5:18 pm

I just got my new weather stripping for my front vent windows and have started figuring out how to actually go about replacing it. All the pieces are held together with rivets. Do I need to go ahead and cut and replace the rivets, or is there some other trick I need to know about? If I remove the rivets, what do I use to reassemble the windows? It seems that the only rivets that I have are very bulky, unlike the flat style that are in the window hardware. As usual, any help is appreciated from the van gods.

- Charlie
    1965 Chevy Van

Here's a pic of how she stands as of right now.
    Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild Photo
    free image hosting
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild Empty Re: Front Triangle Vent Window Rebuild

Post by G-Man Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

You need a special tool for those rivets, to get the old out you'll have to drill them out. You can get the rivets at LMC, but there has to be a place that has them cheaper
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm

yes - the rivets must be drilled out!! The new seals - sometimes will come with rivets- Mine did! dont use a pop rivet! olets water thru them=rust - call the rubber seal seller & ask them about rivets??
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Mon May 16, 2011 7:33 pm

I found this site that sells all I think I will need for the rivets. There is a set of 26 rivets.

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=Chevy+Truck+Rivet&mode=list

Do anyone know if each window takes 26 rivets or if both together take 26 rivets?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks for finding that, I also I'm in the process of rebuilding my vent windows also. From taking mine apart I think 26 should do the job for both
    cculella
    cculella

Post by cculella Tue May 17, 2011 7:14 am

I ended up buying two sets of the 26 rivets. Figured I would need a few extra for practice or for other door assemblies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm