VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine relocation concerns...

WhiteDove63

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Engine relocation concerns... Empty Engine relocation concerns...

Post by WhiteDove63 Sun May 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Has anyone ever moved their motor and tranny back closer to the rear before? I'm looking to move mine back about 16 inches due to some logistical issues with the front seats, radiator, doghouse, etc (it's a long story). Anyway, it seems like it shouldn't be too difficult of a task and also seems like a good idea concerning the weight ratio/balance of the entire van. Anyone done it? Run into any unforeseen problems?
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282

Engine relocation concerns... Empty Re: Engine relocation concerns...

Post by Big W Sun May 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Not sure how long of a drive shaft one needs before U-joints start wearing prematurely. Your drive shaft might get really short, and may need to keep a spare U-joint in the glove box
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon May 16, 2011 12:24 am

mmmmmmmm......I smell a wheel-stander in the making Wink
    WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Mon May 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Smile kiwimopar...I have the same concerns, but the majority of the weight will still be in front of the van's center-line. Plus, I don't plan on driving it in such a way that's going to help it get on it's feet. Anyhow, I like the input about the premature wear on the u-joints, but that's still pretty minimal stuff so hopefully it'll be all I encounter.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 pm

My thoughts are there will be a larger hole on the rear of the cab which will need panelwork. Also, there will be many adjustments to make as far as mounting the trans, engine, throttle rods (a cable throttle will be easier), clutch rods and shifter rods for a manual.

I think it will look vastly different in the cab, and I would like to see progress shots - or maybe a mockup when the engine and doghouse are removed. That will give you a much clearer picture of how the coversion will work.

One thing I regret doing is I should have relocated my ignition switch - on the A100, it is so close to the door it gets awkward sometimes starting the engine.
    Show us pics as you go please Cool
    WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 pm

I'll be taking pics along the way...first thing we're doing is replacing the floorpan from the bottom of the nose panel all the way to the rear of the existing doghouse hole...then we're planning to shift the motor/tranny back 16 inches and remount to the frame (doesn't look like there will need to be any adjustments made to the mounts), obviously cutting out a new DH hole. Also, I am going with a cable throttle, as well as a cable shifter for the auto tranny-no clutch/shifter rods needed.

As far as the different look in the cab, since the DH will no longer sit between the front seats, I'm doing away with the buckets and slapping a bench across the wheel hubs...I'm "campering" out the rest of the cab, building a custom murphy bed that will flip up to the driver-side wall and when laid down will be supported on the front by the new doghouse.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm going to give a stab at installing power steering with a tilt wheel that has my ignition, blinkers, and wipers all on the column so my dash will only have my new gauge setup and a/c controls.

Lotsa work ahead....
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue May 17, 2011 6:44 pm

This should answer a lot of your questions. Its a local van.

http://shadoworksart.com/econofine.htm

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 10:15 pm

i have a 66 econoline superduty. i took the 6 banger out, and installed a
    v-8 260. i cut the old engine mount and the v-8 dropped right in the exsisting mount. i had no problems .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:57 pm