VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

what engine

what engine Empty what engine

Post by Guest Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:24 pm

hello all
    i am having a great time on my first "early" adventure. please forgive me if these question are too novice. so i figured since i have so much of my 64 8 door 170 dismantled i thought i would start to think about getting a bigger, faster more powerful engine. no idea where to start. any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. where is a good starting point to track down a solid engine? how big can i go before i need to start reinforcing the frame? once i find an engine will it bolt right in(for lack of a more knowledgeable phrase) or will i need some kind of kit to make it fit? will i need a new transmission as well? can i get a faster inline 6 or do i have to go to a V8? dont know if i want to go that big, something that fits in the existing dog house maybe? i know its alot of questions.
    thanks in advance
    matt

what engine Dscn2910

what engine Empty Re: what engine

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:18 am

I know a feller on Vannin.com (Woodchuck) who has the 300 I-6 in his Econoline. At some point though Ford went to a bigger doghouse to house the 240 (same block as the 300), but not sure what year they did that.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:49 am

cool thanks nate. i'll look into it
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:41 am

I believe it was 67???

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 am

What it that late? Oh Ford folks..........

Smile

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:41 pm

I recommend a 200ci. It will bolt right in and give you up to 180 HP as compared to the 110hp on the 170. You can also go with the Clifford performance 6=8 and get great milage as well as more hp than you will on a stock 170 or 200 ci. Another way to go is the Classicinlines.com aluminum head with separate aluminum intake, weber carb, 264 cam DUI distributor. A little pricy but you will be ecstatic over the outstanding performance. Clifford is in Murrietta and classicinlines is in Arizona.
    jreese

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by jreese Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:30 pm

I can attest to what vanishingbreed said, as I have a 250 six in my 1969 car with all the equipment he mentioned from Classicinlines and it really made a huge difference. The only things I did that he did not mention is roller rockers and a dual outlet header into 2.125 pipes. Sounds great and runs great. I am running a 4 barrel carb also.

Jim

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 pm

hey guys. thanks for the suggestions. i am actually going in a different direction. i just won a 65 econoline, with a caved in front corner, on ebay. it has a mustang 289 in it and a 9" rearend. i'm going to attempt to rebuild the engine, anybody ever do this? it has alot of stuff on the 65 that i am going to be able to use. even the body is in god shape besides that front corner. picking it up friday, cant wait. i will post pictures.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:22 pm

I put a 347 stroker with 419 hp in my 66 Econo, Vanishing Breed. The 289 is a good motor. I hope whoever did the swap did it right. I am building a 65 Econo right now but went with the 200 ci inline six with Clifford performance headers. Close to 200 hp when it is finished and still 24-26 mpg. Your 64 will need some changes to accept that 289 like a bigger doghouse but the one in the 65 should work. You will need to swap the cross members too. Remember to put in the larger radiator too. I had a 64 8 door once. Wish I still had it.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:40 pm

It was in 65 that they changed to a taller doghouse to accomodate the 240 inline. Look at the 67-70 chevy doghouse lid (only) it will fit the econo doghouse and give a more user friendly surface (it's flat) I think it gives a bit of extra clearance as well.

Later,
    Rip

Post by Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:49 pm

i can use the dog house from the 65. they did do quite abit of changes to the 65 as far as supports. i dont see way i cant just switch everything over to the 8 door. any ideas where to get the replacement parts when i rebuild the engine?
    fmc56
    fmc56

Number of posts : 553
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by fmc56 Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Matt,
    I have a freind in Coventry that has a complete Chevy van motor box. The bottom is rusted a bit but you will have to cut 1 " off the bottom anyway so your seats will fit properly. With the V-8 you'll have a lot more room to work on the engine with the Chevy box. He has a 64 Econoline and is looking for a stock motor box. He'll probably trade for it.
    I'll be in Maine this week but if you are going to working on the parts truck on Saturday I can probably come up.
    Fred

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:00 am

hey fred
    come on up. give me a call
    matt

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:03 am