VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon

Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Number of posts : 233
    Registration date : 2011-01-27

Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon Empty Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon

Post by Smallblockbug Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:13 pm

My truck was starting hard when i picked it up so i rebuilt the carb and it starts better but still seems off. When it is near starting it almost wants to kick back which leads me to believe that when it was starting hard the person prior to me advanced the distributor to compensate. It would also lead me to believe that is also the reason i cant get it to run at an idle. When i adjust the idle on the carb to try and lower it it dies out(basically unscrew it all the way to try and set and the butterfly is all the way closed causing it to stall). So what i need is a baseline setting to the distributor advance how the manual says to set it and what total advance should be once set. Thanks for any help.
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon Empty Re: Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon

Post by Smallblockbug Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:18 pm

To add to it it is a 144 cubic inch motor
    elmonto
    elmonto

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2010-07-09

Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon Empty Re: Need to time the 62 econoline truck soon

Post by elmonto Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Find TDC and respike the dist, thats the easiest way. I just had to do that to mine and it came out perfect after about 6 degrees advance.
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Post by Smallblockbug Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:16 am

I believe the only thing they did was losen the distributor and spun it advanced. So i am really looking for a starting point on timing since all vehicles have different static timing starting points. Thanks for the help
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:32 am

just retard the dist & see how it acts -sounds as u describe -it is advanced too much. Remember - if u retard it -the idle must be set up as it will die .
    Smallblockbug
    Smallblockbug

Post by Smallblockbug Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:30 pm

http://www.falconclub.com/Pages/E144.htm

chart for timing and basic engine specs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 2:29 pm