VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
mo_1040
Scott
DanTheVanMan
itruns
PolarBear2
savage
donivan65
11 posters

Chevy Radiators

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 Empty Re: Chevy Radiators

Post by Digz Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Well if you could get it running and up to temp , take the rad cap off and see if its circulating okay, If it blows out of the cap it can either be plugged or bad head gasket ( making air) . I mean if you have to pull the radiator anyway to change it , Id make sure that was the problem before I'd go thru the trouble of riggin up a different one in there. without knowing the history, its a guess, If they had stuck the rad in , I have run into stuff like mice making a mess in them and no one bothered to check the rad first. pop the rad and turn it upside down and stick a garden hose in it. its a cheap look see.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:50 pm

those are fantastic suggestions. thank you sir..

gonna try to pick her up this week or next. if i get my hands on her, i'll post photos for you guys to see.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm

raditator related...is this a L6 0r 8 shroud? 1st or 2nd gen?
    Chevy Radiators - Page 2 6c43_110
    Chevy Radiators - Page 2 767f_110
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Dont think Ive ever seen a shroud onna 1st gen.
    I want to add something ,, take the cap off the radiator before you bring it up to temp, that way if its blowing bubbles right away ya know its a head gasket or something like that and it wont blow coolant all over you. sometimes I am sure Im half brain dead. confused
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Looks like a 2nd gen shroud. Is it yours????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 pm

The EconoWest guys have 2 2nd Gen V8 radiator shrouds for sale,,,,,,,

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 Cruisi22
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:28 pm

A good radiator is the most important thing on your van. I woudnt mess with an old one. They still make cores for the 1st Gens,,,,,,,get a 3 row one put in and be done with it,,,,,,,

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 Cool10
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:07 am

Naw,not mine.I found these for sale,did'nt know what motor or gen it was for.My van don't have one,was just curious.
    Don...the number, CT5520a,what is that? core num for rad shop to order?I know my 2nd gen leaks,water hits me up side of the head.1st gens rad. is laying in the back.no tellin whats up with it.
    Just tryin to do a prevention thing,before problems occur.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:20 am

Don I know for sure the one shroud is for a 2nd gen v8, but is the smaller one for a 6???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:45 am

That CT5520a is a 3 row core number for a 1st Gen. But you need to measure your core to make sure it will fit into your tanks. And that smaller shroud came out of a 2nd Gen with a 455 engine, he said it had the stock radiator in it, so they must used it also from the Olds.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Scott, I had great performace increase when Iinstalled a banks package on my motorhome!! they use a fresh air intake. This is something I'm sorting out now I'm installing a 454 in my 67 I'm sure the motor will benifit from this!!
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm a little way away from it, but am thinking about adapting the setup from a 98 S-10 Style Blazer. I used to have that model and it seems like it would be easy to adapt.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Just make sure you run some kind of rain seprater. I have good luck with k+n I know there pricey but there washable and preform well!!
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:39 pm

The one I'm thinking of has a hose about the size of a dryer hose that feeds into a box that holds the filter, from there another hose the same size goes from the box to the Carburetor.

Once thing I'm trying to sort out is the fresh air source. I thought it would be cool to have some kind of scoop high on the side behind the driver’s door. But I'm not sure what I would use for that, and I would have to sort out the rain separator.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Depending on which way your air scoop faces, with that setup you probily won't need a separator. I'm not sure where my fresh air will come from,The banks pkg. has separ. mounted to inside of grill. and lrg. tube straight in to carb. I'll let you know how it works out. It will be a little bit.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:40 pm

I guess it really wouldnt benifit from having the scoop forward, so I agree with you that I probably wouldnt have to worry about a separator. My thought behind placing it so high on the side of the van is for the cooler air. I figure sucking the air from near the road is still going to be really hot.

Like you, its going to be a while for me before I can get to this.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:17 pm

I had a leak in my 2nd gen L6,pulled it out last week,carried it to a reputable ( i thought) shop.Gotta call today told me bad news.They fixed leak up top,then started leakin other places. 'We can recore it' Then started talkin like $400.Is he pullin my chain or what?
    I went on line found a couple that listed mine,for about half,but I don't know the right measurement.They are showing 26x17x2.Dont sound right to me.
    Don't get me wrong,I don't mind spending a lil on a good radiator.But have I been out of the loop too long on todays prices?
    Input somebody?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I paid $190 to have mine re-cored here in Fort Worth..

Thanks to Donivan, heres the measurments you asked about..

donivan65 wrote:You will probably not find too many people that know about our vans,,,,,,,The 2nd Gens came with 2 different types of radiators, downflow in the 6 cylinders, and crossflow for the V8's. The most important part is airflow through the radiator. So on the 2nd Gens, they raised the floor and put the crossflow radiator real low in the doghouse to increase the air flow. And since the fan don't like to pull the air through the radiator fins, they put a shroud around it so it don't have a choice. And that low radiator traps air in the engine so they put a surge tank on top of it so you get a place to fill the system up completely and purge the air out. The REAL 2nd Gen V8 crossflow radiator HAS NO PLACE for a radiator cap. It just uses like a heater hose to get its coolant from the surge tank. Corvettes might use this radiator set up. And if you are not moving, you are not cooling,,,,especially in hot weather. You should put an electric fan on top of the bellypan, to force air
    towards the radiator. If the temp gauge goes up, turn on the fan until it goes down. I have a 60 minute wind up house timer that I turn on to cool down my engine for 15 minutes so I don't have the fumes and carb loading up when I get back in it.

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 Radiat10

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 Radz_210

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 P6220110
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm

So Scott,,,,,,,did you get a 3 row or 4?
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri May 01, 2009 5:03 am

I've got a 3 row, they told me the tanks on the side were not wide enough to convert to 4.

By the time you posted the measurments mine was already down there. Although the tanks look the same on mine, its not the original radiator, the original is about two inches wider then mine. I'm learning real quick to measure twice anytime I buy stuff for this van.

Anyway, an original might take the conversion to 4.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri May 01, 2009 7:16 am

$400.00....go somewhere else!!! I have been to a few websites that would build a completely new custom radiator to your specs for $400.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Fri May 01, 2009 7:21 am

Thats what I was thinkin too Mo.When I go back and get mine from him,think I'll tell him to he needs to put his crack pipe down.Then I'll can get something done.Man,I'm ready to get this road worthy.Y'all are killin me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri May 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Here are some more specs of a REAL 4 row of tubes 2nd Gen crossflow radiator. I would say the price of brass shot up big time and radiators got real expensive,,,,,,but now its down again,,,,,,maybe some radiator shops didn't get the memo,,,,,,,and after all these years, who knows what radiators got put in to keep the vans on the road,,,,,,,but if the top tank is about 3 1/4" wide, then a 4 or 3 row core fits in it..........

Chevy Radiators - Page 2 4_row_11

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:18 pm