VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
mo_1040
Scott
DanTheVanMan
itruns
PolarBear2
savage
donivan65
11 posters

Chevy Radiators

Chevy Radiators Empty Chevy Radiators

Post by Guest Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:59 am

I have an inquiry....

Us early Dodge guys are S.O.L. when it comes to new radiators. Our old ones need to be recored if we want new sometimes at a very expensive pricetag.

My question...are new radiators available for the early Chevys? If so, who makes them? I was thinking an early Chevy radiator could be made to work in an early Dodge.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Chevy Radiators Empty Re: Chevy Radiators

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:22 pm

You can get the parts to build a 1st Gen if it is this size,,,,,a 2nd Gen is a little bigger,,,,,

Chevy Radiators Cool10

Chevy Radiators Repair13
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Nate My 65 from NY got a Dodge rad in it.(not sure what Dodge??) Troy & I were at the JY and it looks like a rad out of a Chevy II is just about the same size as the one in my 64??.
    PolarBear2
    PolarBear2

Number of posts : 183
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by PolarBear2 Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm

I've got a cross flow in my 2nd Gen?

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:36 am

Hmmmm so I wonder if a rad from a Chevy II (Nova) will fit in an A-100. Let me check that out.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:05 am

I fit a 1970 A-108 (6/auto) radiator into a 1969 GMC handibus (6/auto) and the flanges on the sides of the radiator fit nice. I had to drill new holes in the GMC sheetmetal to use original holes on Dodge radiator. Hope this inspires you to consider using a Chevy radiator to do the opposite.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 am

Hey Nate, Still thinking of using that Ford radiator?
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:06 am

When I couldn't find one for my 64(back in 70 something??) I put one out a Econo in it. Must of had a v-8 it was real thick and the van never seemed to warm up,or over heat?? Which is what took out the old one,after I put the 250 in???
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Chevy Radiators Empty 65 Mustang Radiator

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm

itruns wrote:Hey Nate, Still thinking of using that Ford radiator?
    Got a almost new 65 Mustang Rad. if anyone needs on..

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 am

itruns wrote:Hey Nate, Still thinking of using that Ford radiator?

I think I'm just going to get the Dodge radiator checked out. We pulled one out of storage that was marked good/no leaks. The core looks really good and the inside is not all gummed up.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Help me out here, I'm a little behind when it comes to radiators..

I pulled mine from my 2nd Gen. Chevy while working on another project, and want to know if I should have any work done to it before putting it back.

My Chevy has a stock 250, and a stock radiator. I'm guessing the three rows of tubes I see means its a 3 core. Is this going to be enough for sitting on the freeway in 110 heat this summer? If not, what are my upgrade options, and how much does it usually cost?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Your stock radiator, a downflow, would of been 2 rows of tubes,,,,,so 3 rows would be a heavy duty one. But in the heat, you need to make sure the radiator is clean,,,,,,,have it flow tested and rodded out as necessary,,,,And a shroud would help,,,,,,,also an electric fan, with a switch, pushing air towards the radiator when the temp gauge rises, should keep you out of trouble. If you got a hold of a 4 row, crossflow, V8 radiator with a surge tank, that would be another option......
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:46 am

I'll pop some pictures of the radiator when I get it back, its down at the shop now getting rebuilt. They charge $58 to rebuild it like new, I figure that’s cheap if it means I won't be pulling it back out in a few months.

They pointed out that what I have isn't a Chevy radiator though, then showed me a picture of what they thought I should have, but what they show is the wrong one too.

Mine is a cross flow with 3 rows of tubes, no cap, just a place to connect the surge tank. I'm not concerned with it being the wrong one as long as it works. But I wonder if this one is smaller, and won't cool as well. Also, mine has the automatic transmission setup too. I don’t have a fan shroud; I may have to hunt one down if just adding the electric fans to the front of the radiator doesn’t cool it enough.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:56 am

You will probably not find too many people that know about our vans,,,,,,,The 2nd Gens came with 2 different types of radiators, downflow in the 6 cylinders, and crossflow for the V8's. The most important part is airflow through the radiator. So on the 2nd Gens, they raised the floor and put the crossflow radiator real low in the doghouse to increase the air flow. And since the fan don't like to pull the air through the radiator fins, they put a shroud around it so it don't have a choice. And that low radiator traps air in the engine so they put a surge tank on top of it so you get a place to fill the system up completely and purge the air out. The REAL 2nd Gen V8 crossflow radiator HAS NO PLACE for a radiator cap. It just uses like a heater hose to get its coolant from the surge tank. Corvettes might use this radiator set up. And if you are not moving, you are not cooling,,,,especially in hot weather. You should put an electric fan on top of the bellypan, to force air
    towards the radiator. If the temp gauge goes up, turn on the fan until it goes down. I have a 60 minute wind up house timer that I turn on to cool down my engine for 15 minutes so I don't have the fumes and carb loading up when I get back in it.

Chevy Radiators Radiat10

Chevy Radiators Radz_210

Chevy Radiators P6220110
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am

Hey Donivan, thanks for all the great pics, you always make it look so easy. Wish I had the sway bar to hang my fan off of, but I’m sure I can come up with something till then and good idea with the timer too.

My radiator looks just like the ’67-70 8 cylinder / crossflow’ in your picture. Turns out the radiator I took in has a lot of problems, once they started working on it the core started coming apart and leaking all over the place. Although it hadn’t leaked while it sat in the garage, when I pulled it out it looked as though the previous owner had used some kind of glue in several places. I told them to go ahead and build it with a new core. I asked about converting it to a four but they said it wasn’t an option because the tanks aren’t wide enough.

What are the opinions on removing the fan from the engine and just installing an electric fan directly to the radiator? Do any of you have a setup like that, what are the pros / cons?

I have also been toying with the idea of having the Carb pull its air from outside the doghouse. Maybe use an air filter canister mounted under the passenger seat, pull its air from under the side, or from inside if it’s not too loud. Seems like the engine would like the cooler air during the summer.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:41 pm

I see the 2nd Gens running an electric fan instead of the mechanical one on the waterpump. You need a sensor and relay kit installed to control the operation of the fan. And look at a Mercedes,,,,,,it pushes air into the radiator,,,,so you can put a fan on either side of a radiator,,,,,,,A cold air intake tube would make your van happier,,,,maybe even better mileage,,,,,,

Chevy Radiators Tanda_11
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm

If you go with an electric fan do a little research and make sure your getting a high cfm fan considering how not so great the air flow is to the radiator already. I would recommend a fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII. It claims to have the highest cfm of electric fans out there. The shroud on this fan should almost completely cover the core on your crossflow radiator as well and can be fastened by using the same zip ties that many external tranny coolers use. One drawback of this fan however is it draws high amps which may require a higher amp alternator and higher amp relays.
    Here's a link for ya to look at if your interested....
    http://www.creeperjeepers.org/Electric%20fan%20install%20in%20a%202.5L%20TJ.html
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Chevy Radiators Pictur11

I picked my radiator up from the shop yesterday. When I dropped it off it was to have it flow tested and rodded out, not rebuilt like I put in a previous post. After cleaning it they were able to show me a number of problems. Here is the finished radiator; they replaced the core for $190. The tape is still over the holes for the automatic transmission. They didn’t do a good job at painting it, but I didn’t want to stick around for them to paint it again and wait for it to dry.
    They said it was radiator paint, I know it’s a thicker paint, but is there any other difference?

Does radiator paint help with the heat transfer?

I figured I would check NAPA for it when I get back home next Thursday.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:37 pm

That Paint is almost Tar Like Paint ... it's called 77'' Core Black.... it Let's the Core and Tanks Breath... and dissipate Heat..... But otherwise it sucks...

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey I Just Looked at the Picture... and they used a Good Core... I think it's a Craig Core !!!!!!

savage
    savage

Post by savage Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:41 am

Vanish, Is it normal to have that tag on it(down by bottom) Mark sent me 2 ,2nd gen rads with all the stuff in the vans from CA. He said he had had them redone?? They look like it ,and have those tags??/
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:51 am

There are two tags on it, one flat one near the bottom that I planned to cut off flush; it’s just a flimsy piece. The second one is closer to the top right, its fastened with a cable looped through the core. I was told by the radiator place that it’s the warranty tag, don’t remove.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:26 pm

i'm looking at picking up a 65 chevy and the guy who has it says his overheats after about 25 minutes of driving at 55 mph... so i'm assuming nobody makes a new radiator for this from what i've gathered...

so what are the alternatives? i like the fan ideas, but i'm not sure i'm skilled enough to pull anything like that off.

any more modern rads that would possibly be made to fit and work better???

any answers appreciated.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:53 pm

If its the stock radiator and 6 cyl engine , it might just need backflushed or cleaned out if it isnt rotted out. might even be problems somewhere else if it does it like clockwork.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:16 pm

yeah, it's a 6 230 3 on the tree.... and he said it happens all the time.

i figured just dropping a new one in there would be easiest to alleviate any further issue before they arise.

also had some other car guys (non-vanners) tell me to just find something that kinda fits and mount it any way possible...

sound like a decent idea or a bad one?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 pm