VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
DanTheVanMan
64chevy
donivan65
veefre
8 posters

Noisy rear axle...

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Empty Re: Noisy rear axle...

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:58 pm

The front and rear backing plates are different as well as left and rights,,,,,,and it would depend if you got 2 '' or 2 1/2" brake shoes,,,,,,I would say 64 Chevelle backing plates might be the same,,,,,and I will see if I can find any good ones. Lots of people have converted over to disks,,,,,,but they might want to keep the backing plates in case they have to go back,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 pm

Somewhere on the internet I found a parts listing for this model and it said the backing plate (or flange plate) is "NLA". It wa a fairly old list too.

I'm getting the impression that this particular backing plate is rather unique as it has four mounting holes, as well as little holes to either side of the pivot bolt to hole the spacer plate in place. I figure the solid front axle has something to do with the unique design (most backing plates seem to just have two mounting holes), and figure that a coil over spring design like as in a '64 passenger car might not match up.

I've also compared the photos of rear brake backing plates with what I can see on the vehicle with the hubs and shoes still installed, and the one on the vehicle certainly is different. Had to work a little later than usual today and didn't get around to pulling the backing plate off the passenger side.

If I can't locate new backing plates I'll be looking at a disc brake conversion myself. Is there a kit available for this vehicle? I'm also a bit concerned about the reliability of this design since both front backing plates are showing signs of failure.
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:29 am

There's a guy over on VCVC parting out a 67 that might have what you need:

http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003373.html
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I just sent him an email. He parted out the front axle first thing but maybe he kept the brakes.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Here is my backing plates,,,,,the primered one is what I took off for the disk brake conversion. But its for a 1st Gen,,,,you ought to look for 2nd Gen ones first,,, the back ones are drilled for the parking brake cable, the fronts for the steering stops,,,,,

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair16

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair17

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair18
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:13 pm

I checked the backing plates on my '67. These have holes where the steering stops could go, but the stops are actually attached to the steering knuckle. Not sure why the holes are there, but the one in your photo looks just about identical to the one on my van. Is it for a 9-1/2" drum? Can't see any other differences at this point.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:09 am

Veefre - I once owned a 1966 Chevy van that had a complete 1967 Chevy Bel-Air drive train in it. 283 / powerglide/ and the whole rear axle ass'y that was a little wider than the chevy van's. The nice part of it was the 3.08 gears. I also had a 1964 Chevy van that I parted out and found out it had a 1968 Camaro rear axle under it. Both of these axles were attached to the original van leaf springs. I don't recall if the mounting pads were moved and rewelded. Maybe these are some ideas to consider if you're looking to replace your complete van axle.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Don,
    Is there anything you "Don't" have a picture of? You got the best photo's I have ever seen, and of just about everything. Thinking maybe you should put together a "how to" CD. You seem to have done it all and always give great advice. I'd buy one....lol

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:59 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Don,
    Is there anything you "Don't" have a picture of? You got the best photo's I have ever seen, and of just about everything. Thinking maybe you should put together a "how to" CD. You seem to have done it all and always give great advice. I'd buy one....lol

Dan

+1 Surprised
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:57 pm

I sure got a lot of pictures,,,,,I am having trouble finding them at times. But I got a lot of sources around me to get pictures if I need any. And I got a lot of spare parts for my van laying around. But pictures sure help everyone to see and understand what we are talking about.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:58 am

Yes they do. Thank you for all the extra effort and Support. We all appreciate it.

Thank you,

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Well, four month update. Rear axle is running just fine. No leaks that I can see from the seals, which is good news. The van rides much quieter now as well.

And of course the front drum brakes have been fixed - thanks to Scott for sending me his backing plates.

Noticed some squeaking coming from front springs... so jacked up the van body till front wheels left ground, springs fully extended. Then got a flux brush dipped in Permatex anti-seize compound (the bright silver stuff) and got as much of it as possible in between the leaves. Squeaks gone, and I could swear the van rides smoother as well.

Former owner says he had the front leaf springs re-arced a while back because he wanted the van to ride lower. Side effect is that it probably rides stiffer. Positive result is that it seems to have very little body roll w/o anti-sway bar.

Will see how long the anti-seize compound lasts. It's almost impossible to wipe/wash off things, so it should last a while.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:18 am

They are supposed to have these teflon leaf spring inserts in them, between the tips of the leafs,,,,,

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Chevy_24

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair61
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 am

Don,
    Do you know where to get the teflon leaf spring inserts?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm

They are part# 21-69 (6 leaf spring inset set, 55-57 chevy car). They come 16 in that package, I paid $13. Do a search for Ecklers or classicchevy.com,,,, or google the 55 chevys,,,,,,last time I checked, Vanish kept buying all the companys out to get enough for his 14 leaf project on the TreeVan,,,,,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Ah yes, the tree van. That's funny.
    OK, I'll check to see if any of them have restocked since Vanish's ordering frenzy.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Update: Just ordered some. Thx, Don
    http://www.danchuk.com/09_02_leaf_insert_liners.html

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 am

DanTheVanMan wrote:Yes they do. Thank you for all the extra effort and Support. We all appreciate it.
    +2 Very Happy

Thank you,
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 am

Do I understand correctly that those longer Timken (always pleased with their bearings) replacement bearings have an internal seal? Otherwise, if the stick out 1/4" how could we put a seal on the outside of the bearing? And, thanks to all who contributed to this thread as discovering an oversized bearing kit for these hard to find rears is a lifesaver, happy motoring!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:37 pm

When the original bearings chew up the axle, they make that REPAIR bearing which rides about a 1/2" outward of the original bearing on a fresh unused part of the axle,,,,and the outer seal is built into them,,,,and I even seen some that have an inner seal on them too now,,,and they stick out about an 1/8" ,,,,,,sometimes you might need to grind a little off the backside of the axle just to let the axle slip in a little deeper so you can put the C clips on the end,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 pm

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair34
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 am

It's been a while since I did this job, but as I recall I had to get the repair bearings and the associated seals as separate items. I don't recall the seals being built into the bearings. I didn't have to grind anything to get it to fit. I did clean up the fillet on the outer end of the axle a bit, but not much. It took a little tap with a soft hammer on the end of the LH axle to get it in far enough to fit the c-clip, but after about 5,000 miles and 12 months it's been just fine. No leaks no runs no errors.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:10 pm

That seal is really thin,,,,and specifically made for that bearing,,,,they don't seem to stand up real well,,,,they tend to leak,,,,,,and if you hit the axles to seat them for the c clips to fit on,,,,,it can damage that seal,,,,,but unless you find good axles, thats what you got to live with,,,,,I would like to find a source for that seal,,,,,

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repair72
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Well, as usual... Donivan is right.

It's been a couple of years since I renewed the rear axle bearings with the Timken repair bearings. Lately I've been noticing some grumbling form the right rear brake. Actually grabbing sometimes, when pulling away from a parked position after the parking brake has been on for a time, and backing. I figured something was up, so I pulled both rear drums. Lo and behold the left rear drum and shoes were coated with what looks like moly grease - I recall I used a fair amount of that stuff to lube the repair bearings and seal for the install way back when. Since it's been two years and several thousand miles, I figure it's more of a seepage than a major leak, but I suspect the bearing seals are seeping. I cleaned up the mess as best I could, with brake cleaner and all. I have new shoes so I can fix that problem. But the issue is, are the seals leaking? Quite possibly. I checked the other side, the right rear brakes, and they seem to have a kind of waxy build up on the shoes and drums. Not as much or as "wet" as the other side. This might help to explain the grabbing, not sure.

Anyway I have two new sets of repair bearings with intergral seals on order, will pick them up after overtime/work tomorrow (end of quarter rush) and will probably put them in on Sunday, work permitting.

Don, I noticed in the prior discussion you were talking about putting "real" bearings on a friend's van. How does that work? Do you have to modify the rear brake assembly?

Later...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 pm

So lets start over,,,,,,,do you have an original bearing and a separate seal in there now or one of those new fangled repair bearing with the seal built into it installed right now? And how were the axles,,,,,nice and smooth and shiny like a spark plug socket or dark rings cut into them? So if you got GOOD AXLES ,,,,,,you can put these 13 big roller type bearings in and a new heavy duty seal. The original 15 rollers are smaller and tend to chew up axles. Hey Ritchie,,,,,,finish the story for me,,,,,,

Noisy rear axle... - Page 2 Repai167
    veefre
    veefre

Post by veefre Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

These axles were chewed up by the original bearings, and I put in the repair bearings, which are working quite well except for the seepage issue.

I gather the 13 roller beefy bearings require that the axle not be worn in the original bearing seating area. Unless they ride outside that area, like the repair bearings?

I posted a photo of the orignal axle condition a few pages back. Let me see if I can copy it from there and repost in in the next message...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:35 pm