VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Well, it beat me.

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Well, it beat me. Empty Well, it beat me.

Post by slowflapper Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

I tried doing the spring bushing job in the drive way this weekend by myself, I couldn't be every where I needed to be under the van at the same time so I had to call it quits. I was afraid Id get a spring out and wouldn't be able to get it back in (stranding it in my driveway) Sad

Taking to a local shop next week to have the bushings done, on the upside the guy invited me to hang around during the install so I could get an eye on what they were doing. Going to do a clutch/trans inspection, new shocks and rear u-joint while its on the lift. It burns me to pay $65 an hour but I trust this guy with a wrench and thats saying something.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Well, it beat me. Empty Re: Well, it beat me.

Post by G-Man Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

sometimes it better if you don't have the tools!!!! Don't feel bad it has happened to most of us
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Ok, took it into the shop yesterday to have the spring bushings replaced, they ended up having to cut the rear U-bolts off with a torch as even an impact wrench wouldn't get the nuts off.

They are going to inspect the clutch (through the access plate), change the shocks and put in a new rear u-joint while they've got it on the rack.

Here's some cell phone picts:

We had to take the side pipes off so the rack arms would clear.
    Well, it beat me. IMG-20110301-00231

front axle:
    Well, it beat me. IMG-20110301-00235

Shop owner is wrenching on my van (I think he was enjoying himself with an old hot rod)
    Well, it beat me. IMG-20110301-00232

shot of the fuel tank (notice the surface rust on the right wheel well where the factory missed the paint)
    Well, it beat me. IMG-20110301-00233

shot of the trans and drive shaft, the trans lube is extra that came out of the "blow hole" on top of the transmission. you can also see the electric fuel pump and before/after fuel filters on the right frame rail.
    Well, it beat me. IMG-20110301-00234
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Post by slowflapper Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am

Got more picts coming, I stopped by and paid for the work today, six hours of labor and they got a lot done.

The van looks like its sitting a good 1-2" (or more) higher with the new bushings/shocks under it Definately got to have new tires now, it's standing up like it has hydraulics under it.

The rear u-joint was original (45 years old) and the grease in it was more like toothpaste, glad I changed that out. He also said the clutch/PP/throwout bearing looked brand new so that's a plus.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Bet there was a BIG SMILE on ur face - when u drove it home!!= What a Face

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:25 am