VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ?

69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ? Empty 69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:30 pm

I've had some electrical bother lately, which for me is the worst kind. My wipers stopped working after a short on the live between the starter and the ignition relay. My mechanical regulator welded up, as did the circuit breaker on the wiper switch. On the sorting of these problem's (which I should finish tomorrow) I realised it was using both types of regulator. I'd originally thought the chrysler electronic ignition did just that, not realising it also regulated the voltage. Anyone know why my wipers are still wired to the old mechanical box ? Thank you. Simon.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ? Empty Re: 69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ?

Post by donivan65 Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:12 pm

So what equipment do you have on your van,,,,,,a points distributor or an electronic one with a control unit? Also,,,,,what charging system a mechanical voltage regulator with a mechanical alternator or an electronic type alternator with an electronic voltage regulator?,,,,,,and have YOU changed any of the the electronic equipment recently?

69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ? Empty Re: 69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 am

Hello, its got an electronic ignition with an electronic control unit. When I first got the van it had its original alternator and a mechanical regulator. The first thing I did was to change the alternator (as it wasnt working) for a petrol vauxhall astra, being the same physical size and readily available in english scrap yards. This has worked together perfectly for 7 years, until now. The previous owner mentioned having trouble sorting the wipers and there was a recent receipt for the mechanical regulator. The electrical control unit and ignition were fitted by the original keeper in california, way back. I'm the third keeper and it seems all the duff work has been done by second (importers/dealers)
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 pm

So it sounds like something went wrong and that has caused other problems in other areas. The 1st thing an Early Van owner needs to have, or install is a fusible link in the line where the positive battery cable ends and the smaller feed wires connect to it. In this way, WHEN not IF, any wire shorts out, the wiring loom does not burn out,,,,only the Fusible link pops and no current flows or fires start. Here is a wiring diagram of a 66 Dodge Van,,,,,,it is probably not the same as yours but its a place to start. And you should start at the wiper switch,,,,start checking things,,,,terminal B on the switch gets its power from terminal A on the ignition switch, which also sends power to the fuse box, who then sends the power through the alt/reg fuse to the ignition terminal on the mechanical voltage regulator. Now thats the flow of electricity,,,,So by unplugging the wiper switch and running 12 volts to the R wire, that should cause the wipers to operate,,,,that P wire is to park them after you shut them off. I am just saying this is a guide to get you started and and sort out the problems that you have. The regulator is just there to watch the battery voltage and then tell the alternator how many amps to put out to keep 14 volts in the battery. You need to test the wiper motor to see if it still works. And see what the battery voltage is at the battery,,,,,,bad things happen when you got low battery voltage,,,,,the equipment draws more amps to try and run and that means more heat in that circuit. An ammeter is a useless piece of equipment to have on your van,,,,,,a Voltmeter tells you exactly whats going on. So,,,,,hope this helps you get started,,,,,,you have a lot of different parts and systems added to you van,,,,,and that is not always a good thing,,,,,but you start with 1 piece at a time to sort out what you got and fix it if necessary,,,,,

69 a100 using both solid state and mechanical regulators. ? ? Dodge_32

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks for that donivan, I love mechanics but the electric side causes me a real headache. To add to the confusion I've got a citreon (intermittant) wiper motor which hasn't a relay like the old prestolite one. I can eventually get the correct parts but have to adapt to get by. cheers. simon.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 pm

We need to be on the same page here, Simon,,,,,,,and I don't even have a page on Vauxhall,,,,,,but,,,,,Contacts that weld together is a sign of low voltage which causes high amperage and excessive heat,,,,,thats why they put ballast resistors with a points distributor,,,,,,to limit the amperage flow through the points so they dont burn up. And we are talking about 3 types of Voltage regulators here,,,,,,An Electronic one is for the newer type alternators with the 2 field wires,,,,,,and the mechanical, and its Solid state version, are for the 1 wire field alternator,,,,,,AND that Vauxhall Alternator may not be happy with whatever regulator you are running and puts out lower voltage which raises the amperage needed to run everything. Another thing is, if you took an ohm meter and measured across the field terminals of the alternator,,,,,3.5 ohms needs a mechanical regulator, while 1.5 ohms needs the electronic one. It's just another test for you to run. I don't know exactly what you have so I am just giving you some ideas on what I think,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm gonna borrow my mates electrical testing stuff tomorrow and do just that. At the time of fitting the vauxhall astra alternator I didn't know any of this stuff. I just looked for one of a similar size from a 12v petrol vehicle. Wish I hadn't stripped my bike before this problem happened,. the van's full of kz1000 as I'm a bit stuck for space. Thanks again.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Having those Vauxhall and Citreon parts on a Dodge sure aint making things easy to figure out,,,,,, HOWEVER,,,,,,,,,if you take one system at a time and check it out to see what is wrong, then we can come up with a fix for it,,,,,,Seems to me,,,,,,,,If I was tired of messing with Voltage Regulators I would get a 1 wire Hot Rod or 70's Chevy Alternator with the regulator built in and be done with it,,,,,,,
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:57 am

Simon... If you need a wiper motor or switch let me know. I might be slow in answering, I am on night shift right now and it has been snowing way to much for this time of year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 pm