VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried

OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Number of posts : 51
    Registration date : 2011-11-19

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried Empty Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried

Post by OldSkoolVannin Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 pm

My coils are being fried so I want to replace my regulator. I got a solid state unit to replace there big clunky mechanical one. But the connections are not even close to the same. See from the picture they do not have the same connections and I can't figure how to adapt it to the solid state connections. The wiring diagram does not refer to anything that would match the regulator I got. He was emphatic at the auto parts store that this solid state unit will fit my engine, a 1963 170.

Can this regulator be installed? I hope so because i like the idea of solid state, and it would make it easier to get the radiator out. Anybody have the ah ha moment that will provide the answer? I hope this is an easy one.

https://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/Jimcozine/?action=view¤t=image.jpg&evt=user_media_share

https://2img.net/h/i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i479/Jimcozine/image.jpg
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried Empty Re: Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Do you have a Generator or an Alternator,,,,,and what is the voltage at the battery? What is the voltage at the coil? The Ballast resistor controls the voltage to the coil,,,,,and that coil, and points, like 6 volts,,,,,
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried Empty Re: Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 am

All very good questions Very Happy

If I had the skill to answer them, I would. I think it is a generator, probably installed in the last 5,000 miles, which could be as much as 10 years ago but I have NO idea. I replaced the coil (they all say 12volt) and she fired up like a champ. I replaced one about 1,000 miles ago and got about 900 miles out of it. That coil actually breached thru the top and all the oil came out. The 2nd one lasted about 100 miles and crapped out. The one I just put in is the 3rd.

So I have new all new spark wires, plugs, new (rebuilt) distributor (including rotor, cap, points, condenser), starter relay, ignition switch, battery cables, starter, etc. I am going to change the resistor wire as you mentioned and from what I gather that should fix it, no?

The only thing left would be the regulator, which I still want to switch to the solid state one unless you have reason to avoid that. I can't see any similarities to the connections to the old mechanical one physically or in the wiring diagram, am I missing something?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:43 am

I'm not up on every nuance of Fords, but the solid state regulator is probably for an alternator, not a generator. They use different regulators.
    As said, the coil REQUIRES a resistor to drop the voltage so it does not overheat and fail like yours.
    You need to ensure the charging system is operating properly first. It must not exceed 14.7 volts running. This must be confirmed and repaired if needed.
    Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried 2009-06-21_021845_alternator_to_ford_GENERATOR
    More gen info...
    http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/474757-wiring-problems-generator-voltage-regulator-2.html

Then you can check the ignition system.

The link below shows a good simple ignition system wiring schematic. It's too big to post here. I found the alt/gen. wiring there too, using google images to search for wiring diagrams. You may spend some time at that forum for more answers.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1039331-explanation-of-engine-electrical.html

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:03 am

You need to find out what you got,,,,stuff gets changed and modified over the years,,,,and a generator system is REALLY primitive,,,,,there is nothing good about it,,,,,,people upgrade their charging systems to more efficient, dependable and higher output systems. In my world, this 3rd Gen Chevy Alternator with the regulator built inside, is the way to go,,,,,it's cheap, simple and dependable,,,,,hook up 2 wires and you are done,,,,,you will have to mount it to your engine, but a Ford guy could tell you how to do it....it's just a Chevy guys idea to fix your problem,,,Ford guys have different ideas,,,,but all we care about is getting 14 volts into that battery....

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried 29_dol15

Replace a mechanical regulator with a solid state unit , coils are being fried 3rd_ge27
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 am

I definitely have a generator and really like the idea of the Alternator with the regulator inside. I am going to get that done!

I ordered a new resistance wire, I have to presume that has failed, what else could it be, everything else is new but that!

Thanks guys.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm

You really need to check the voltage at the coil and battery,,,,,find clues,,,collect evidence,,,that will point you to the problems,,,,,,otherwise we are just guessing,,,,
    OldSkoolVannin
    OldSkoolVannin

Post by OldSkoolVannin Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 am

Yep, you were right, over 8 volts going into the coil, manual says nothing over 6.6. So I have the resistor wire, found the onebullet plug end end near the ignition switch, but were does the other bullet plug end physically go? The diagrams in the manual are schematic in nature and do not actually show the physical location? The connection out the back of the ignition goes into the wire harness and I can't seem to find the other plug end anywhere (of course it is somewhere). Can't even find a wire with a similar cloth covering on it, hope it a a simple find? I guess I could just run a while new wire and splice it into the connection on the coil. Appreciate the help.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:44 pm

What is the voltage at the battery? If it is over 14, the voltage of the resistance wire will be higher than 6 volts also,,,,,The resistance wire needs to go between the ignition switch and the positive side of the coil,,,,it cold be at the beginning, end,,,,,OR,,,,to a wire that goes to the positive side of the coil,,,,AND,,,,the R terminal on the starter relay does just that,,,,so you could hook the resistance wire between the ignition RUN wire and that terminal and let the resistance wire send it's juice to the coil that way,,,,,,pull off those 2 little wires on the starter relay,,,,,if you get voltage when the key is ON,,,,,that is RUN,,,,,turn the key to START, that voltage will be to turn the relay on to crank the starter,,,,, you are looking to see if one wire has juice when the key is ON,,,,,the other only gets juice when the key is on START,,,,,just so we know that we have coming out of those wires,,,,because people do weird things to the vans over the past 50 years..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am