VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Indian640
64van-james
6 posters

looking for a complete steering wheel column

looking for a complete steering wheel column Empty looking for a complete steering wheel column

Post by Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:52 pm

its for a 63 pickup, need the whole thing.
    let me know whats up
    thanks

looking for a complete steering wheel column Empty Re: looking for a complete steering wheel column

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:36 pm

are they the same for van and for pick up?
    what year model can be used?
    64van-james

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2010-11-07

looking for a complete steering wheel column Empty Re: looking for a complete steering wheel column

Post by 64van-james Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

If having an original is not an issue, Flaming River makes steering columns

Post by Guest Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm

pm Vic (oldschool) on these forums, that is his specialty. Also vanish has one from a 62 van

Post by Guest Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I have a speed column from a 67 econo van.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Tim (econoUSAparts) also has everything you need at the best price for the DIY
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Do you need the steering box or the steering box shaft sleeve itself? Thats the hollow tube that slides over the shaft and houses the turn signal switch, lever,and shift tube attaches to. They are kinda year specific so would need to know what year you have and also which column attach plate you have as the bracket on the tubes are different styles and in different height locations. For the most part,61 and 62 interchange and some early 63's also. Later 63 and 64 interchange,again late 64 or early 65 *may* be an exception,dont ask me how but its possible( I ve seen it),and almost all 65-67 are the same. That said,if you dont have the correct year matching column and plate,some brackets can be relocated or you can use a different coulmn plate on the 61-64 models only. In 65 the column is at a different angle and only the 65-67 plates will work with a miniscule possible exception of a late 64 or early 65 odd ball for unknown reason. Some things have no explanation,they just are,and I ve run into it before on these old rigs.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:30 pm

ALL earlies (61-->64) I have seen have the steering box mounted in a different angle than the 65-->67's.. You can put in a 64 steering column into a 61 as the steering box is mounted at the same mounting angle, simply use the matching dash bracket for the 61-->64 steering column you want to use. The 64 is all by itself, using the EXACT same mounting bracket ON THE TUBE as the 65-->67's , HOWEVER mounted in a lower position and using its matching dash mounting bracket. I have also seen wrong year ones pushed, however that creates a bind on the upper bearing in the steering box. You can re drill and or augur your mounting holes for the steering box to use the 65-->67 in an early, vice versa. I have the columns used if that is what you want or rebuilt, or also I make a custom triangle mount 61-->63 automatic column for the ones that never were. I also, have the H/D upper shift tube supports in stock also. (the pc riveted in and usually broken)
    vic~~~~ just tried the pics again, I give up,, just when it seemed so easy,, duh
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Vic Just copy and past the Image Code ....

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Vic Just Copy the Image Code out of your album and post it directly in the message space here and your Picture will show up here !!!! don't mess with serving .....

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:30 pm

I am nervous as it takes it out of my documents and stuff??? does that mean someone could access my pc that way,, dummy me,, just cautious.
    vic

Post by Guest Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Old Skool wrote:I am nervous as it takes it out of my documents and stuff??? does that mean someone could access my pc that way,, dummy me,, just cautious.
    vic
    Nope they cannot access your PC. Do you have photobucket" it is really easy. Or if you want you can email me any pics you want posted and I'll post them for you.
    mdcsr173rd@yahoo.com
    Sebastien1988

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by Sebastien1988 Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:40 am

Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 am

I would bet that is actually a 65 by the height of the mounting bracket
    vic
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Old Skool wrote:I would bet that is actually a 65 by the height of the mounting bracket
    vic

Right you are Vic. Thats a 65 Spring Special if I ever saw one. The white gauge cover and steering wheel,plus under dash heater give that away plus the obvious 65 style column support tray.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm