VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

complete steering loss

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

complete steering loss Empty complete steering loss

Post by Donn Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:26 pm

I am / was having problems with my front end, I posted another thread few days ago, had a lot of play in the steering wheel, about 6 inches. I also felt the truck was "floating " at high speed. So today me and a buddy took the truck to a chassis guy he knows. This guy builds pro-mods so be knows his stuff. He found a few things he did not like, so I made an appointment next week to bring it to him.
    His shop was about 10 miles from my house. We took a three lane highway to get there. On the way home I kept it about 50 mph just to be safe. Dropped my buddy off and continued home, everything felt the same, as far as the front end was concerned. I made a left on to my block and lost complete steering capabilities. The wheel turns full circle without the wheels turning..Had to push the rest of the way kicking the tires to turn. I have never had anything like this happen. If this would have failed 5 minutes earlier it would have been really bad.
    Everything under the truck looks fine, no broken parts or fluids anywhere. I am thinking the steering box must be blown apart on the inside. This steering box was supposedly rebuilt a year or so ago. Guess I got ripped off. Not happy about it but it was real close to being much worse.
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14774
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

complete steering loss Empty Re: complete steering loss

Post by vanny Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Glad to hear that you and the van are OK...let us know what you end up doing to get it back on the road again. I'd be interested in seeing pics of what they end up finding. Good Luck with it, Donn!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Sounds like when I broke my steering shaft. Can you pull the steering wheel towards you? My shaft broke just as it entered the steering box. Luckily I was stopped and turning to park. I pulled out the wheel and shaft and handed it to the passenger and said "you park it!"
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 pm

That Could Get Ugly quick .. Glad it worked out !!! and your safe !!!!!

Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Code:
    [url=https://servimg.com/view/13987272/273][img]https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/13/98/72/72/img_3412.jpg[/img][/url]
    complete steering loss Img_3410complete steering loss Img_3411" />
    complete steering loss Img_3413
    So after a better look the steering arm failed. Bought the front axle from Speedway. I wonder if they will back their product after almost killing me. Not sure I would use it even if they do. Might be better off finding another company with stronger parts.
    It never ends one step forward two back
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Post by uante Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Unfortunately it seems like there are a lot of poorly made parts out there. I work in aerospace and we investigate failing parts...castings, forgings, solenoids all the time. Workmanship seems to be taking a back seat to low cost and profits.

Glad you and your truck are ok after that scary failure!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14774
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Wow, that's just Scary!!! Someone was looking out for you...glad you're OK!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks Vanny
    Speedway is sending me a new piece , free of charge. I have a fabricator here that's going to trace out their part and make me a stronger version. Not going to trust the same piece again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am