VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Trans / block Questions=??

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Trans / block  Questions=?? Empty Trans / block Questions=??

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:21 am

since i havent been under my 61 econoline since i bought it-winter / snows- Im curious as to how many bolts mount the trans to block?? It has the 170 cube ,otor. Im thinking of installing a C4 trans and i know that the fords had some changes in the bolt patterns - like 5 to 6 or something like that - thye 170 is the origional engine - thanx for the advise

Trans / block  Questions=?? Empty Re: Trans / block Questions=??

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 am

you need the C4 with the small bell housing.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:15 am

That would be for the small block?if so im still curious as if the 61 econo 170 cube block has the early bolt pattern like the 64 mustangs had -before ford changed them./

Post by Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:05 pm

the big bell fits the 240 and 302. the small bell fits the 170 and 200. Some 200s had bolt patterns for both size dog houses.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:30 am

Thanx- Im finding maybe I will need a different x-member?? What is the eng/tranny combo (largest cube) size that will slip right in ??

Post by Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 am

a 200 and a small bell C4 will work. Vic makes the trans crossmember
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 pm

The ONLY bolt in will be a 64 only!!!!! as it has the donout mount tail stock. ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!! You WILL NEED THE 64 ONLY special dropped sheet metal engine hangers to lower the front of the motor ALSO.... Its a one year one model, highly sought after tail stock,, even without the whole C4 tranny. Mike just purchase the one that I had, even though its on a case fill C4 with the big bell for a V8,, THAT tail stock can be put on any C4,, but I wish you good luck in finding it AND the special arms. They drop down, and use the later single stud type motor mounts, not the two bolt ones.
    And need to say Thank You to Mike, as I do make a cross member to get past the problem. It uses an under tranny type mount that is MUCH stronger than the donout mount, but the most important thing about it, is,, I JUST HAPPEN to also sell short tail stocks with an under tranny type mount to use with the cross member and it can be put on any C4,,, The picture with the cross member is a C6 and my cross member on a truck I am building now, but the C4 short tail is the same idea, except for the speedo is on the drivers side, not like this C6 short tail. BTW,,, I now have short tails for the C6's with the same setup as the C4 one in the picture. Dratzzzz, still working on the picture size,, take it easy on me please,,
    vic

Trans / block  Questions=?? 100_1310

Trans / block  Questions=?? 100_1112

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:47 pm