VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
RodStRace
BloodyKnuckles
6 posters

292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It??

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It?? Empty 292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It??

Post by BloodyKnuckles Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:25 pm

I have a fine running 292 coming my way hooked to a 4 speed truck trans from a '62 F100. I like the 200 but I am very tempted in squeezing this sucker in the dog house.

What would you guys do?

One thing you'll figure out about me is that I am passionate about vintage engines. My cars have; a stock 4 banger Model A, 2 flat six Mopars, 401 Nailhead in a gasser, straight 6 in my '63 International truck so this Y-Block would be right at home with my oddball line-up.

Looking forward to your feedback.

BloodyKnuckles
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It?? Empty Re: 292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It??

Post by RodStRace Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:38 am

Bloody, that motor would fit right in over at the HAMB, but I would not go this way.
    For the amount of effort to swap from a straight 6 to a V8, I'd go with a SBF for the best power to size AND the best aftermarket support.
    If I wanted some crazy engine in there and was willing to go through the extra effort to make it fit, I'd go with a lima (429-460). Again, you can go up to and over 600 Cu.In. and there are a lot of good cheap parts.
    Next crazy motor would be the late model modular motor. Strong, light, great aftermarket support, and the basis of hot rodding; stuff the latest greatest motor in an old body.
    The 292 isn't even the largest displacement of the Y blocks, the 312 is. The only thing it has going for it is that it fits the timeframe of the early vans. If you are going to do a full restoration and swap to make it look like a factory prototype, that could be interesting, but that's a ton of work and you would have more issues to resolve than a small block. For anything drivable and not a phantom, it doesn't make sense to me.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It?? Empty Re: 292 Y-Block In A '61? Would You Do It??

Post by Old Skool Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:09 pm

I for one would definitely vote against the Y block. They are FIRSTLY physically much larger than a 289/302 and parts not as versatile to find for upgrades. The 289/302/351W all are the smallest engine for the buck and STILL fit in your "CLASSIC" year idea IF that is really important. The 272/292 and the 312's are all the same basically. The 302's will bolt up to transmissions that already have our Econoline tail stocks. All the figuring out is already done for the 302's also. Really, in my opinion just asking for a headache with no gains.
    vic
    lectricman
    lectricman

Number of posts : 339
    Registration date : 2010-04-07

Post by lectricman Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 pm

I don't know about your van, but it would sure look nice in my '66 F-250... Laughing
    It would definitely be a cool swap but a lot of work .... Don't think I would go through the pain... just my .02
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:35 pm

RodStRace wrote:Bloody, that motor would fit right in over at the HAMB, but I would not go this way.
    For the amount of effort to swap from a straight 6 to a V8, I'd go with a SBF for the best power to size AND the best aftermarket support.
    If I wanted some crazy engine in there and was willing to go through the extra effort to make it fit, I'd go with a lima (429-460). Again, you can go up to and over 600 Cu.In. and there are a lot of good cheap parts.
    Next crazy motor would be the late model modular motor. Strong, light, great aftermarket support, and the basis of hot rodding; stuff the latest greatest motor in an old body.
    The 292 isn't even the largest displacement of the Y blocks, the 312 is. The only thing it has going for it is that it fits the timeframe of the early vans. If you are going to do a full restoration and swap to make it look like a factory prototype, that could be interesting, but that's a ton of work and you would have more issues to resolve than a small block. For anything drivable and not a phantom, it doesn't make sense to me.

Great advice.......
    kgdb
    kgdb

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2009-12-03

Post by kgdb Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Man, I love that thinking outside the box stuff! If its a passion thing for you then do it, lifes too short! But..................the reality is a sbf is a easy swap, tons of a/m, and a drive anywhere at anytime kind of setup.

kgdb
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Passion for me is,,,, some day??????? to get this fancy looking Aussie cross flow I have sitting here PATIENTLY waiting for me,, hint, hint,, LOL....all polished up and installed back in one of the pickups. Fuel injected 250, flow through head like a Hemi, factory cast iron headers, already bolted up to an Econoline tail C4,,,,, all that aluminum stuff all polished up would be something for Foose or Jay Leno????????
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:12 pm