VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine Swap?!

WhiteDove63

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Engine Swap?! Empty Engine Swap?!

Post by WhiteDove63 Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm

So I'm torn and looking for some advice and/or takers on a possible 170 out of my 63 Econ...I am in the process of having several things done to the van and am contemplating dropping a 302 in with an Automatic trans and moving the doghouse back a bit to accommodate the change in engine size and some interior customization. If I do this, would anybody be interested in my straight 170? It runs and shifts, but needs a valve job and the tran prob needs new seals and gaskets. If interested, PM me with what you think it would be worth to you. I haven't decided to do this for sure, as I'm a little apprehensive on such a major change. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks guys!
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Engine Swap?! Empty Re: Engine Swap?!

Post by EconoCarl Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:00 pm

You got here just in time, this was posted earlier today:
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t19152-v8-engine-swap-by-hellfish
    WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Yea I read the article and bookmarked it...I'm definitely going to follow the lead on the engine swap, but he stuck with a manual, whereas I'm thinking about making mine an auto. Either way, I was throwing the post up to see if anyone was looking for a motor as well.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Why a V8 swap? Need more power???? You can get more horse power and torque out of a built 200 than you would get out of a stock 302 plus better mileage and a whole lot less work. You would also need the larger dog house, 9" rear and a lot more to do the V8 swap when the 200 will bolt right in. I have done the V8 swap and unless you just want to say I have a V8 in my van I would strongly suggest the built 200.
    WhiteDove63

Post by WhiteDove63 Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Its really not about the power...I'm just looking at a 302 because I have access to one with less than 3k miles on it and the tranny for $700 and no transportation costs. It's on site where the van sits right now...also, I was thinking about moving the location of the engine and rebuilding a custom DH out of wood to allow for a bench seat in the front so the extra space and modifying how the engine would bolt in shouldn't hinder me too much since I'd be starting from scratch. I don't know, I may be in over my head with these ideas, but I just feel like it should work and would be a unique customization that truly involves some real personal functionality. Am I crazy?
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Good write up.If you want a 302 then put in a 302.I have had289/302 engines in many different cars and trucks over the years great little motor.Add a cam and some headers a good set of mufflers and they sound awesome too go for it.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:22 pm

I have a friend that made a custom doghouse out of wood. He made it look like a coffin. He put a 351 C in it then totaled it by running into a pole. The bench seat has been done many times. in many ways. Saw one guy use three wooden wine barrels that he fashioned into a front seat. Looked pretty cool.
    kltcustoms
    kltcustoms

Number of posts : 199
    Registration date : 2008-07-07

Post by kltcustoms Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 am

vanishingbreed wrote:I have a friend that made a custom doghouse out of wood. He made it look like a coffin. He put a 351 C in it then totaled it by running into a pole. The bench seat has been done many times. in many ways. Saw one guy use three wooden wine barrels that he fashioned into a front seat. Looked pretty cool.

That sounds like a total 70's car show thing...... I love it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:04 am