VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Windshield washer ?

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Windshield washer ? Empty Windshield washer ?

Post by Digz Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I havent checked locally yet , but are the washer mechanisms available for the 1st gens? , any part numbers to toss around? for some reason mine wont disengage, I had it apart today but Im flying blind here and dont know what to look for in the wear department, I disconnected the plug for the solenoid and that didnt change anything, things seem to be free moving when its apart. I dont have a service manual for this stuff so even a pic of the wiper/washer system may help. Anything I should just check? Thanks,
    Digz
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Windshield washer ? Empty Re: Windshield washer ?

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 pm

,,,,,,,,must be nice to have a 2 speed wiper motor with spray washers on it. So, lets see how this works,,,,,you have a wire from the switch that activates the solenoid which causes the motor to start the pump pumpin,,,,,,so maybe that wire is grounded or the cam is just stuck in the energized position so the motor is always hooked to the pump. Or maybe it's raining out,,,,,,,,

Windshield washer ? Wiper_10
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:00 pm

These things are such a Rube Goldberg contraption I have a hard time following how they work. That accuator rides against a star drive that sticks back from the wiper motor. That might have some wear on it but again I dont know what good one looks like. the accuator slides back and forth and cocks the plunger ( loads the spring). The solenoid pulls the pawl in to keep it from unloading. That cogged/stepped wheel goes around until it lifts a contact apart and also allows the spring to unload, the contact breaking should stop the solenoid from keeping the pawl engaged until you hit the button again. I get the idea the accuator moves with the star drive all the time the wipers are on? I'm missing something somewhere,,,,LOL , I'll have to bench test the circuits tomorrow I guess . And Thanks Don !
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Since heater or wiper problems are not much of a concern out here, I don't see too many,,,,,,but,,,,,,,I would guess that you need to check that solenoid out to see if the switch turns it on or off and if it actually moves something. So that would mean that you got an electrical test to do and see what the solenoid's job is. Maybe a piece is broken or froze up,,,,,,,see what actually makes that pump, pump. There is got to be some kind of arm or cam that can be disengaged by the solenoid to stop the pump arm from moving. Another thing funny about wipers is that they have a Park position that they return to after you turn off the switch,,,,,,,so I would think there is no instant off,,,,,,,,,stuff keeps going until the the wipers are parked,,,,,,,,,so there might be a delay action for you to watch out for.........
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

I found the problem. But Im going to go through this just for reference material . First, the washer drive on the wiper motor, metal, and is on whenever the wiper motor is running.
    Windshield washer ? Washer10
    Overall view of the washer assembly.
    Windshield washer ? Cover_10
    This is the accuator ( or whats left of it) a.k.a. the problem.
    When the circuit is completed, the solenoid holds the pawl in and drags the ratchet around as the accuator is being moved back and forth by the motor drive which grabs a bite and releases for another.
    Windshield washer ? Accuat10

Windshield washer ? Pawl_e10
    There basically 2 grounding circuits, 1 the chasis ground ,which keeps the solenoid activated until the the ratchet comes around far enough to break the circuit. 2 The button on the wiper switch which overrides the broken chasis ground to begin the cycle. The ratchet also has a cam that pulls back the plunger as things turn. Kind of like winding up a catapult it loads the plunger spring until it opens up on the cam. The washer mechanism is then at rest again as the main ground is broken.
    Circuit closed.
    Windshield washer ? Circui10
    Circuit open.
    Windshield washer ? At_res10
    This shows the cam on the bottom side of the ratchet, the tab on the plunger the cam rides against and a good overall of how it works together.
    Windshield washer ? Side_v10
    The problem is the accuator that rides against the star drive off the wiper motor, a good portion of it is worn away only allowing a partial stroke. enough to operate the pump without actually being able to bring the ratchet around to a rest position. Keeping the solenoid grounded and the ratchet not moving once it hits a certain spot.
    Unfortunately my other 2 vans are lacking in the windshield washer department to rob for parts. So I need to find out whats available. Maybe useless information but it was fun figuring this mousetrap out !

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Thats why they went to a separate motor on the washer bottle,,,,,they might just sell a universal washer pump motor to hook in series with your reservoir,,,,,,or a foreign car one with the motor mounted on it might fit,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Well Don ,, if ya run into any at the pick apart out there where they might not have been used so much keep me in mind,,LOL,, a 1/4" nutdriver and 2 minutes ......... Suspect
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Joe, I might have one, Let me look. It Might even be from Cail Laughing
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:17 pm

So what is your preference,,,,,,,another original pump,,,,,,,an external 12 volt pump with a motor on it or a complete reservoir with the pump built in it from another type of vehicle?
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Original !! I have had limited life spans on the little in-line motor pumps in the past and I dont really see a handy place to mount another from something else,,, I got it pretty crowded already ! If I could even just get ahold of one with a good accuator and something else wrong I could fix this one.
    Thanks Tom ,, let me know what ya find. I did a quicky search with Google for a pump and came up with nada, switches galore and rebulid kits for the pump itself but zip on the mechanicals. I would think there would be some crossover to trucks or cars on this item, but maybe not.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I just found them listed in Rockauto, the pic is a littel different but I swiped the part# and will see what my local napa guy can do. it crosses to the malibus and chevelles,,we'll see. If ya got one tho Tom I'll go that way, we can do some trading.
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Joe I found 2 so far. Didn't test them so,send me your address, And I'll get them going your way. Pick up spare at Bakers.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Sent ya a pm Tom.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Well the unit listed everywhere (Anco 6102) definately doesnt fit a 1st gen 2 speed wiper set up. looks similar in the catalogues but bigger overall in a couple ways and the drive system is a little different but I think works the same way. maybe it fits a single speed ??
    Windshield washer ? Anco_610
    savage
    savage

Post by savage Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:23 pm

Joe there on the way
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks Tom !!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Savage fixed me up with 2 to work with ,, at first blush they look good the mechanicals are in real good shape. test the coils tomorrow.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:18 pm

One had a super stiff diaphram and wouldnt move right. NP I tore it apart and took my worn out one and the good mechanical used one and put them together.
    Windshield washer ? All_ap10
    so 2 out of 3 aint bad.
    Windshield washer ? 2_out_10
    There are a couple things to watch for taking these apart but its pretty straight forward. the real sneaky one is the large diaphram to the plunger, it uses a cross lock set up like the springs on brake shoes.
    Windshield washer ? Diaphr10
    and you have to depress the spring to slide the plunger off the base.
    Windshield washer ? Depres10
    So if you can find a kit for the rubber parts it is repairable, that might be a big IF

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:23 am