VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Timing Cover

Walker
    Walker

Number of posts : 144
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Timing Cover Empty Timing Cover

Post by Walker Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:05 pm

The JB weld on my 318 timing cover let loose pale , I need a cover so one of the questions I had is will the 70 and later work. I can see that the older (68) has 3 mount holes on the lower left and 2 holes on the lower right while the 70 and newer has 2 lower for mounting on both sides. Ebay has a bunch of the 70 & up version for about 45.

If anyone has one they want to get rid of??? Or if you know where to get one any info would be appreciated. I checked Oreilly, napa, rockauto and autozone with no luck. I hate to buy something like this off ebay.

I was going to put off opening the engine up to inspect for a possible rebuild until next year but I guess that it is going to begin sooner than I thought. The engine was running pretty good also, a little tired but it is the original.

Thanks

Doug
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Timing Cover Empty Re: Timing Cover

Post by G-Man Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Walker
    Walker

Post by Walker Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 am

This looks almost the same as my 68, I guess I will have to take it off. I have seen the same cover for 45$ though. I am trying to figure out the difference in the covers because 1970 and up is different than the years prior. Probably doesn't make any difference though?
    BADBADGER
    BADBADGER

Number of posts : 246
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Timing Cover Empty timing cover

Post by BADBADGER Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:00 am

Doug

I may have the tming cover you are looking for but wont be able to confirm it till later today. If it is the right one how does 25.00 plus shipping sound?
    Walker
    Walker

Post by Walker Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:48 am

BADBADGER,

Sounds good. I will send you a PM with my info.

Thanks

Doug
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:08 pm

the biggest difference i remember was that some had the timing marks an the drivers side (early version) and later versions were on the passengers side of the cover. other than that they were mostly the same. i stand to be corrected though.
    Walker
    Walker

Post by Walker Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 pm

My 68 has a separate plate that attaches to the lower 2 bolts of the water pump and that has the timing marks on it. So as long as that is what is used to set timing with the timing cover marks should not matter.

I was going to get a timing light in the next few weeks, just set it by ear for now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 am