VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition

slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition Empty Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition

Post by slowflapper Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:13 am

Everyone loves heat management threads right Smile

I wanted to replace the stock 16" 5 bladed mechanical fan on my 273 with something that would move more air. I priced NOS/Used 7 bladed fans for these engines and they were everywhere from $40 to $80 and more than I wanted to spend. I finally settled in on a Summit Racing 17" 6-bladed "heavy duty/high volume" universal fan for $27.

The blade pitch is steep so it moves a heap of air at idle and low speed when you really need it. I also have an electric fan installed and I'll include some details on that as well.

Note that in a 65" Dodge with a 273 that a 17" fan will still clear the radiator brace (OEM is 16"), an 18" fan is too close for my comfort unless the brace is cut out for clearance.

There is only about 3" of clearance from the fan bolts to the radiator so the bolts wont come all the way out. You have to loosen the alternator belts, loosen the bolts until they clear the threads, and then the fan and spacer will slide off sideways. You can then remove the bolts, put the new fan on the spacer, put the bolts in the holes, slide it back into place and tighten the bolts down. It's tight, but it can be done.

Here's the new fan:
    Summit 17" Heavy Duty Six Bladed Fan
    Part Number: SUM-G4920

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100912-00012

Note the pitch:
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100912-00013

Here's the old fan:
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100917-00018

similar pitch but fewer blades and smaller diameter:
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100917-00019

Here it is installed:
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100912-00014

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG-20100912-00015

Here's some picts of the Hayden:
    Note that the Hayden can be installed without removing the radiator if you have someone to help you. I put mine on an 18 fuse, fed directly off the battery and switched it through a 30 lighted switch on the dash (I use a piece of 1.75 angle iron to mount switches on and mount it under the dash.)
    16" Hayden Automotive 3710 electric fan, "pusher" mounted on the front of the radiator.
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG00432-20100314-1037

from the top:
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG00447-20100327-1356

from the front (through the grill)
    Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition IMG00469-20100327-1417
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition Empty Re: Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition

Post by 61econoline Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for the info and pics.I went with a late model Taurus electric fan on my 289 powered Econoline.Had to upgrade the charging system also.quite a bit more work but I am happy with the outcome.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition Empty Re: Mechanical Fan Replacement / Electric Fan Addition

Post by slowflapper Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I'll eventually have to upgrade the charging system on mine as well, electronic voltage regulator etc. I think the Dodges charging systems are only good for 60 amps and I'm always worried about the AMP gauge catching fire like they are known to do.

I need to add another fuse box for accessories, lights, radio etc. so I'll probably do all the other electrical work then as well.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:16 pm

man them 7 blade chrysler fans mooove some air
    Indian640
    Indian640

Number of posts : 256
    Registration date : 2010-06-27

Post by Indian640 Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:55 am

I`m looking for a 16" pusher fan to use on idle and when the truck is shut down for the A/C system I`m installing. The CFM`s don`t need to be very high as this is just used as added backup cooling for the mechanical WP fan. Looking for the best price as this build is starting to run wild..... Art

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

skip white on flebay has great prices on elec fans.
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:09 am

bowtie56jw wrote:skip white on flebay has great prices on elec fans.
    Great advice Bowtie, bought one last night from them and got some great tech advice for my perticular setup......... Art
    Indian640
    Indian640

Post by Indian640 Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am

Slowflapper, Any problems with this fan blocking air-flow when not in use with the engine running or do you have it run all the time? You set it up on a manual switch?
    I`m planning on setting up mine this weekend, but as stated, I just want to use it as a backup when the motor is shut down to help cool things down, ie aluminum radiator, etc. Considering this, I`m not sure what thermostat set up I should go with. Maybe the style that sits out in the open that can be tethered on to the side or top of the radiator? Don`t know. Anyone care to weigh in on this? Donovan? Thanks in advance, Art Indian640

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 am