VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

7 blade mechanical fan

supernaut
    supernaut

Number of posts : 73
    Registration date : 2012-10-15

7 blade mechanical fan Empty 7 blade mechanical fan

Post by supernaut Thu May 23, 2013 7:17 pm

what do you guys think about these? will it work with the stock shroud in my 318? i want something that pulls more air and i can't find an online review of this fan. the original fan that's in there is kinda banged up and i figured while i had the front of the doghouse out to replace the water pump (i ordered a FlowKooler 1700), i'd throw on a new fan to help cool this thing down as much as possible. if this thing sucks, are there any other fans you guys would recommend?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-1817
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

7 blade mechanical fan Empty Re: 7 blade mechanical fan

Post by Gothboy Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 am

Ive had NOTHING BUT trouble with flex fans. The theory is good, and Im sure there are good ones out there, but I wont use them. What happens in my cases is that they will tend to flex too much, causing not enough air to be pulled when at idle or pretty much any speed for my liking.

If you want to use one heres the key. measure the distance from the mounting flange back towards the engine. Go to the "most sticky outy bit" that the fan might hit. Then measure the "rearward extending" portion of the fan to make sure it wont hit the engine when spinning. Next, measure the diameter of your original fan and make sure its nearly exactly the same diameter or it will mostlikely hit your shroud when you step on the gas and the flexes its mounts.

As for any other fans, I always run a mechanical non flex fan with approximately 7 blades (im not racing, horsepower loss is of no concern to me) AND an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator for when idling as the temperature starts creeping up.

If all the measurements work out, the fan should too. As for its performance Thats up to you to judge my friend. I hope it is exactly what you need! Smile
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri May 24, 2013 7:54 am

I totally agree even if a cluth fan is used also. Flex fans were invented to allow less horsepower loss. wont ever do as good job as metal fans
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Sat May 25, 2013 7:18 pm

ok. i picked up an electric pusher/puller fan with a thermostatic wiring kit and i'm hoping to get it in this week, when i'm changing the water pump. it looks like it will clear the engine only if the spacer thing between the old fan and pulley comes out. the fan is 4.25 inches thick. i've also considered trying to put it in front of the radiator and moving the trans cooler to the back side of the radiator (between the rad and the engine). is that a thing? would the fan even fit up inside the front doghouse panel? oh, i also put some marine vinyl on the console i built today as a rainy day project. check it out

7 blade mechanical fan Photo-10

p.s. sorry it's so sideways. please turn your monitor accordingly
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun May 26, 2013 3:57 am

Nice Job!!!
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:48 pm

my update for the week:

how do you remove the front of the doghouse from the van?!? do you seriously have to take apart the throttle linkage? it seems to run through that inner sheetmetal that goes down below the floor.

i removed the radiator and i'm gonna get it checked by the guy who recored it for leaks. i realized that i have no coolant overflow reservoir, so i'm gonna add one of those.

i've pulled the water pump and i'm waiting for the right one to show up (i accidentaly ordered one for 1970 and up models and had to send it back) from FlowKooler. with a high flow water pump, i need to install a high flow thermostat as well, correct? would you guys use a 180* or a 160* thermostat? i'm trying to do everything possible to keep temps low, since i live in one of the hottest places imaginable. i don't know if a lower temp thermostat would just keep coolant cycling through without giving it a chance to cool. let me know what you guys think!
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm

just got home to a new water pump on the doorstep! over the weekend, i pulled the valve covers, cleaned them, then painted them. also painted the water neck and the WP pulley as well. high temp primer, montana "freedom blue" paint, and a couple coats of clear. surprisingly, everything inside looked pretty clean. i got under the engine and trans with some krud kutter and a towel and knocked out some of the grease mud. it smelled weird

7 blade mechanical fan Engine10

I'm still kicking around ideas on how to mount the electric fan. would it help if i cut a flat sheet of aluminum/steel and used it as a makeshift shroud, and mounted the puller fan to it? no real shape to it, just a flat sheet with the fan bolted to it. i have to put the trans cooler somewhere too.

any help on the doghouse removal thing, by the way? there's got to be an easier way
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 am

I typically take the front doghouse completely out of the van to get it out of my way.

I use a Summit Heavy Duty (high flow) flex fan on my van with no problems. It moves a ton more air than the OEM 5 blade one and I had room to go from a 16" OEM fan to a 17" high flow.

I also mounted an electric fan on the front of the radiator and use it as a "pusher" fan when I'm in traffic and its really hot out (pretty much all summer here). I don't need the electric fan as long as I'm moving but things start going south quickly if I get stuck in traffic.

Here's the fan Im using:
    Part Number: SUM-G4920
    7 blade mechanical fan IMG-20100912-00012

The electric (out of the van)
    7 blade mechanical fan IMG00432-20100314-1037

in the van from the top:

7 blade mechanical fan IMG00447-20100327-1356
    supernaut
    supernaut

Post by supernaut Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:45 pm

i have a pretty solid update for you guys coming soon, but i have a quick question.  how thick is the mechanical fan spacer?  it got lost somewhere in the garage and i can't find it anywhere. i finally got my electric fan hooked up, but it's just not keeping the engine cool enough, so i'm gonna do both  mechanical and electric fan setup.

ok, so fan spacer thickness?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm