VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Scott
DanTheVanMan
VANagain
kookykrispy
wacko
G-Man
m1dadio
donivan65
BILLS66
VanGo66
14 posters

New Guy...Old Box O Windows

VanGo66

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2010-09-08

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Empty Re: New Guy...Old Box O Windows

Post by VanGo66 Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah I'd never seen diverters like these even on the pickups. they are pretty cool which would be why i had to have them. They were mounted facing the driver. I wish i had another set to put in my 71 2wd Blazer.

The label on the air cleaner is in bad shape, ill have to see if i can make out what is on it.

Whats the story on these mirrors, I got them off a 68 GMC Handivan (the white one pictured above) Were they GMC only or were they optional on Chevys also?

They would be in great shape exept one of the mirrors broke off the mount. Ill just use the mounts with some nice new round mirrors.
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am

I believe all the vans i looked through had Automatics in them. Where the automatics more common than one would think?
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:13 am

The label on my '66 sportvan's air cleaner said 'hi-torque 230'

The automatics seem to be more common on sportvans, at least in 1st gens.

VanGo66, that is a nice stash of parts you found. I sent you a PM about some stuff I'm looking for.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Here is a picture of the rear side window from a SportVan,,,,it is about 6" longer which would of meant that they had to move the inner brace rearward to make room for it,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,here is the official CHEVY VAN emblem on a 64 and 65 Chevy Panel Van,,,,,,,,,AND,,,,,,,M1D,,,,,,how about you post a picture of your illegal 65 Chevy Van emblem mounted in the wrong place? And maybe someone else can post their emblems from the 66 Chevy Van and all the SportVans and 2nd Gens,,,,,,,,,

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Workin10

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Workin11
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:53 pm

new stance
    New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 09-27-12
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey Don, something I noticed looking ove many van pictures. It seems the 64 and early 65,s with the smaller grill openeing all have the emblem mounted above the body line like yours and all the later 65,s have the emblem mounted under the body line like mine. And in 66 they put them on the door.

As you can see it would not be posible for my emblem to be above the line.

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 DSCN0384-1

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 pm

I don't know about the Late 65, but lets see if anyone has the Chevy Van emblem below the bodyline on their 65 Chevy Van. (66 is on the door). But you got an illegal use of the CHEVY VAN emblem,,,,,,,,,it goes above the body line,,,,and when you have those SportVan triangular windows, it will say SportVan , Custom or Deluxe and it goes below that body line. Your van definitely was rare BEFORE you started making adjustments to it!

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Rich11
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:41 pm

I can assure you that emblem has been on that van since day one or a long long time. Its got overspray from the last two paint jobs and inside its the factory instalation.

I have seen other vans like mine.
    Heres one other

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 5f_110

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 pm

I know they came on there,,,,,,but at that time, they must of been a transition period at Chevrolet,,,,,,,,you got the SportVan body without the other equipment a real SportVan comes with,,,,,,your VIN says panel,,,,,,your emblem says panel,,,,,,,but its not just a panel with windows like mine is,,,,,,There are not many vans that look like ours,,,,,,,your model something in the middle and THAT is what is interesting,,,,,might have something to do with that Dealer program to add windows and seats to a panel,,,,,,,maybe that was the plan,,,,,,just weld the 2 SportVan side panels on a panel body...maybe a special order,,,,,I like history,,,,,how stuff came to be,,,,,,and what caused it,,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:28 pm

I love the mystry of the history too. My van is an odd one for sure My van has the chrome bumpers, the windows, it had dealer installed power brake booster. The horn ring, the full passenger front seat, chrome head light rings and the swan mirrors.

Its posible some of that was added cuz the van has been cleaned up a re-painted a few times. And I'm going to do it again.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 pm

We sure learn a lot hanging out here,,,,,,more still to come,,,,,,,it's sad that there are not many people still alive that actually were involved in designing and building our vans,,,,,,,,they could tell us the REAL stories about the vans,,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Don,
    My father works as a spot welder on the Chevy line all through the 1960" and was on the G10 second shift line from 1965-69. Which is why he bought a 66 back in the day. He also knows the retired GM historian from that time period and I have talked to him several time since getting my 66. Very interesting man with "Lots" of stories..... To include the cutting of the extra grill slot half way through 1965....Funny story!! Very Happy

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Well Dan, whats the story on the grill?

You know we aren't going to be able to sleep until we hear it..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Then you better show him these vans and get all the information while you still can,,,,,,,There are only a few books and a couple of pieces of literature on these vans,,,,,there surely was a change every year starting with the 1964 model,,,,,,,and a story behind every change,,,,,,,,,so Danny Boy,,,,,,unless you get a hold of that information,,,,,,,IT'S GONE FOREVER,,,,,,,,,,
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:08 am

OK Scott,
    I remember this one pretty well since it was the first thing I asked him when we met.

Here's what I remember:
    The vans were hyped up within the company to be the first "Multi-use" family travel van in 1964. He had told me about one of the senior designers at GM had bought a 1964 Panel and had both the “Convert-a-Van” and “Expand-a-Van” conversions done for an upcoming trip.

"The first 1964 ChevyVan was originally marketed and sold as a panel van for purely utilitarian purposes. Windows were available as an option, but were simply cut into the sides from the factory (Convert-a-Van Pkg.)."

The story goes that it was a standard 90 hp. 153 cu in four-cylinder engine (Not the optional 120 hp, 194ci L6.). He had bought it to be use on his next yearly vacation trip to Florida with his wife. And in late 1964 this guy loaded up the van front to back with everything including the kitchen sink, hooked up the Airstream (No details on what size it was) but hey, Van, loaded to the gills, towing an Airstream camper with a four-banger. You can see where this is going right?

Anyway, he told me that they left Detroit heading south and all was going well (Guessing slow as well) on what is now I-75 to Cincinnati. He pulled over for the night and in the morning started again towards Lexington and then Knoxville. An hour or so after starting they entered the hills of Kentucky and the van started to overheat every time they got half way up every hill. They would have to pull over and let it cool down and then continued. Keep in mind that I-75 wasn't completed yet so getting over hills involved a lot of winding roads.

So, their three day trip took five just to get to Florida and the story goes that his wife demanded to be flown by airplane back to Michigan "Guessing if divorce was socially acceptable back then, she would have been gone".

Upon returning to work after his two-week vacation (ten days of which was spent driving) he set out to solve the overheating issue.

As a result the extra grill slot was added because it was the only place that was available to allow increased airflow without redesigning the whole front end. They also dumped the 153 four-banger and made the 194 6-cylinder engine standard equipment, with an available 'Hi-Torque' 140 hp 230 cu in six-cylinder for 1965. He also mentioned that after this guys adventure he all but demanded that a “Full-Size” seat be added to the passenger side (Guess he got an ear full during the entire trip!)….

And when asked “Why did you load so much?” He said: “I read the brouchres!”
    Chevrolet ad quote: “The NEW 1964 Chevy G10 van can handle any job no matter how large or small, this new Chevy van does it all.”

Apparently he “believed it all” and honestly I think he would have been alright without the Airstream in tow…..

He said he has tons of old manuals, GM track tests and old company info sheets on everything “Chevy” and if he finds any more info on our vans he would save it and give it to my father for me. But told me not to get too excited or hold my breath since he has no idea what he has anymore. But if I came home to visit I could come over and rummage through all of it if I wanted.

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Wn269310

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Fd6d_310

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 09030910

Last edited by DanTheVanMan on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 am

Great story and materials Dan!
    B.W. Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:27 am

I would have to say that 47 years ago, in 1963,,,,,,,the world got to see the 1st Chevy Vans in the dealer showrooms,,,,,,I think all the 64's did not have any rear seats and were lucky to have a fold up jump seat for the passenger,,,,,,,and the Early 65's, were the same,,,,,,,,,The SportVans had the 1st passenger carrying capabilities,,,,,,,,I don't see how putting an extra slot BEHIND the front bumper does anything for cooling,,,,,,even widening the other slots,,,,,,,the bellypan shoots the air up. And if you ain't moving, you ain't cooling,,,,,,other changes in the 65's were the wheel cylinder sizes and remove one of the doghouse latches to save weight????? And what about transmission changes,,,,,,the 64, 65 and 66 manual transmissions are different,,,,,,,I think they waited to see what went wrong during the year and made a change in the next years model,,,,,,,
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:18 am

Great story Dan,thats funny.I guess the designer said,'Hey,it looks good on paper,lets try it out'.Sure that loaded down '64 was sweatin like crazy in the hills & hollows of Ky.
    Its great you still have some of the blue collar boys to share the stories from days of old from the lines and info too.Like above,stated,once those stories are gone,their gone.
    I'm sure some of the old brochures and paperwork are worth their weight in gold to the right collector or historian.Not just for the Almighty Dollar.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 pm

That's really funny, thanks for sharing.

After a couple of weeks with the wife in that van I'm sure he couldn't wait to get back to work.

That's pretty cool to hear stories from the guys on the line, I'm sure way more have been forgotten then will ever be remembered.
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:32 pm

You guys totally highjacked my thread to talk about emblems. lol. Theives I tell you...
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:11 pm

,,,,,,,,,but you got to admit,,,,,,,,,you learned something about SportVans,,,,,,,looks like we ain't done yet,,,,,,,,

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Sportv10
    VanGo66

Post by VanGo66 Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 am

yes....more than I needed about badge placement, and trim packages. Now how bout the wedge windows behind front doors. Most sporties have them. Donivans does not?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 am

VanGo,
    Don's is a "Convert-a-Van". Van's that were dealer converted to a "window" van from a panel van.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 am

My van is nothing like a SportVan,,,,,SportVans have slide out steps, chrome bumpers, headlight and tail light rings,,,, pop out windows,,,,,chrome horn button, real passenger seat,,,,,rear seats,,,,plastic moldings around the inside windows,,,,,vinyl inside door panels and a finished interior. It has the battery sitting under the passenger seat because the step is mounted where the battery normally goes,,,,,the VIN number on mine says panel,,,,,so my van is just a panel van with windows,,,,,there was nothing else inside it,,,,,,,I don't think by adding 1 extra window behind the drivers door qualifies it as a Con-Verta-Van,,,,,,but it is rare,,,,,,I have only seen a few of those 13 window vans,,,,,,,,,a SportVan has a different body,,,,,the windows are mounted INSIDE the body,,,,mine are OUTSIDE the body..........

New Guy...Old Box O Windows - Page 2 Don_st12

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 am

VanGo,
    As you can see. It's not good to call Don's van Sportvan.... He takes offense to it.

lol!

And Don's right. There are fewer converted vans like his than any other van making then the rarest of all...

Nice picture Don... Just noticed the street sign!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:25 am