VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Pop-out windows.

Viking
    Viking

Number of posts : 59
    Registration date : 2012-03-07

Pop-out windows.   Empty Pop-out windows.

Post by Viking Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Does anyone know of a replacement for the window latch? I found some pop outs and the frames and hinges look good but the latch is either broken or beat up pretty good? Please let me know.
    gkpost
    gkpost

Number of posts : 224
    Registration date : 2010-10-16

Pop-out windows.   Empty Re: Pop-out windows.

Post by gkpost Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Viking I hope you don't mind but if I could add to your post I would also like to know if 1st gen side and rear windows fit 2nd gen vans also. I read a post some time ago about 84 duravan pop out windows almost fitting you'll need to cut them down a bit but from what I remember its not a big job. Much like everything else about these vans, I think donivan knows. ~ GK.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:59 pm

,,,all the pop outs are the same,,,,,,,,the 2nd Gen latches just look different.....
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:21 pm

I told you!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Pop-out windows.   Repair60
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:46 pm

gkpost wrote:Viking I hope you don't mind but if I could add to your post I would also like to know if 1st gen  side and rear windows fit  2nd gen vans also. I read a post some time ago about 84 duravan pop out windows almost fitting you'll need to cut them down a bit but from what I remember its not a big job.  Much like everything else about these vans, I think donivan knows. ~ GK.

Not at all Gk. I read that post Donivan out up about converting the Vandura pop-outs to our vans. I hope this is the case as just went to the junk yard and pulled 4 of them. I was originally hoping to get the OG pop-outs but the junk crush the sport van they had there. It was a shame.. But maybe Donivan can shed a bit more light on the Vandura Pop-out conversion.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 pm

That 80's van Swing out windows is way better quality than the pop outs,,,,,you don't use the glass,,,,,unless you want to get some new stuff cut,,,,,you need to cut the frame  to fit depending on which glass you use,,,,,pop outs are bigger glass than the stationary door glass,,,,you can weld or solder the bottom frame back together,,,,same on the top but the hinge will hold it together,,,,,,,so you can have a choice between  the swing outs with the hinge on top or the the pop out with the hinge on the side,,,,,,,

Pop-out windows.   Red_0210

Pop-out windows.   Red_0310
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Pop-out windows.   Red_0710
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Donivan,
    So let me get this straight. I can't use my existing door glass?  I have 4 Vandura windows. I was going to pull the frames put them on my existing door glass.  Will that not work?  Will I need to get new glass cut for the window?

If that is the case and I have to get new glass made. Can you give me measurements of the glass? Maybe a source to get it?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm

A pop out glass goes ON the window frame,,,,,,it is 17 1/4" high,  20 3/8" wide,,,,,,,a stationary glass goes IN the frame,,,,it is 16 1/2" high,   19 11/16" wide,,,,,,,so a pop out glass is like 3/4" higher....5/8" wider,,,,,,,so if you have pop out glass, you are good to go,,,,,I took a pop out glass and moved the hinge to the top,,,,,that made the window a tight fit since the pop out glass is made for a side hinge,,,,,,do you have a glass gasket that holds the glass in the frame as well as a frame gasket that seals the frame to the door?    I think window tape will work to hold the glass into the frame,,,,,,a Chrysler mini van sliding door  pop out gasket can be cut down to fit the door pretty good,,,,,,,,now if you are using the small stationary glass and building a frame,,,,,,it might work,,,,,there might be a problem sealing and locking the window because it is smaller than a REAL pop out window,,,,,,,,I might build a stationary glass pop out from some rusted out frames and see how they fit some old doors I have after I get back from the Arizona Desert on Jan 25,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 pm

I put a stationary door glass in a pop out frame for a test today,,,,,,,it is just too small,,,,,that glass is about 1/2" smaller than the opening  in the door all the way around,,,,,even if you made a frame for it,,,,,it would probably still fall through the opening and the hinge needs to be mounted right to the door frame,,,,so those door glasses are out,,,,,,,I would say a glass company will make you fresh glass that breaks into a million pieces when you hit it for about $35  or so,,,,,,,or find pop out glass which surely is easier to find since most frames are rusted out.....

Pop-out windows.   Repair61
    Viking
    Viking

Post by Viking Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:06 pm

donivan65 wrote:I put a stationary door glass in a pop out frame for a test today,,,,,,,it is just too small,,,,,that glass is about 1/2" smaller than the opening  in the door all the way around,,,,,even if you made a frame for it,,,,,it would probably still fall through the opening and the hinge needs to be mounted right to the door frame,,,,so those door glasses are out,,,,,,,I would say a glass company will make you fresh glass that breaks into a million pieces when you hit it for about $35  or so,,,,,,,or find pop out glass which surely is easier to find since most frames are rusted out.....

Pop-out windows.   Repair61

Dang, ok thanks for visual. Well Im in the market for Pop out glass.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

,,, the rest of the World would like to know what it will cost for a glass company to make you up a window glass........
    gkpost
    gkpost

Post by gkpost Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:07 pm

OK so donivan you have the pop outs on the back doors. I remember a post about how the exhaust gets sucked in the back windows and because you've cured everything else and I want to have rear pop outs on my van, where do I have my exhaust exit.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 pm

I have pop outs on the side doors,,,,,,the rear right door has that swing out window that I built from a 84 GMC van,,,,,,,its just there for air when camping,,,,,,I think I would die or loose brain cells if I left it open when driving,,,,,It would do a better job in the rain, if it ever did out here, than the pop outs that open from the side,,,,,,,a sunroof, the front vent and my vent windows do a great job cooling me in the 100 degree weather,,,,,,I think there is no way to stop the exhaust from being sucked in if you got any openings in the rear doors,,,,,,,drive around with a rear door cracked open about an inch,,,,,,maybe bring a co2 detector with you,,,see see how it acts,,,,you can add like a drier vent hose on the tailpipe as a test, and move it around if you think exhaust is getting in,,,,,,,I guess you could hang some drier sheets near the exhaust pipe or some perfume for a road test to see if anything is being sucked in the van when you are driving and start opening some windows,,,,,,,
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 am

what if your exhaust vents out in front of the rear tires? will you still get exhaust in the rear pop-outs?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:16 am

Li8kely =WILL!! ESP=@ slower speeds! Remember the old 50-60's station wagons??- As an option=they had a air diverter mounted on top of the rear area to divert wind down onto the rear window areas to prevent exhaust & also to keep the rear window clean from rain & dirt while driving!! I have used these on later trucks(PU's) with a camper shell = to do just that!! Likely the rear pop-outs wern't allowed @ factory levels due to liability issues with the exhausts!! affraid 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am