VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+15
VANagain
ViewMaster
G-Man
67a 100 pickup
lectricman
m1dadio
mo_1040
sasktrini
wylee
Nightmoves
BILLS66
Vanish
Van Halen
whopman
DanTheVanMan
19 posters

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :)

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Empty Re: Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :)

Post by VANagain Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 am

Yeah, check it out -- three rare Deluxes, all located within a 5 mile radius in San Diego! (Of course, I paid to transport two of them across country to get them here!)

BTW, there's a guy with a very original Deluxe in Florida, Tampa I think. I missed my chance to buy it several years ago. Still kicking myself. He decided to keep it and is very happy he did.

I love that little window. I think it gives it a real retro style.

You'll notice that while Don pretends to have a disdain for Sportvans, his van is doing a good imitation of one! His has those dealer-installed windows. But he was able to mount speakers where that little window would be.

Unfortunately for you, the passenger door trim piece is the one I got from Don's set. Driver's side is nearly the same, just a different angle at the door edge.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Empty Re: Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :)

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 am

I love Don's van! I really never noticed. The little window does look cool! but that is where I put my speakers on that panel. It's the perfect spot.. So the window always seemed in the way... Guess I can just as easily mount them lower on the panel below the window on the Sportvan. Think I will post under Wanted: and see if anyone responds for that trim piece... Ya never know till you ask, right?

Thanks,
    Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm with ya on that Dan.Don has a sharp van.It took me a bit to figure out what was unusual about it,when I first started learnin.No small windows behind seats! I didn't know what the deal was.I've only seen one other like it,It belongs to Gotavan Dan.Thanks for edjumating me.
    Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Gotava10
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:32 pm

The van I'm probably going to pick up next spring has the trim on the sides soooooo..... there might be a possibility you could end up with a missing piece you might need Shocked If I make it back out that way I'll try to get some pics....
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:02 am

mo_1040 wrote:The van I'm probably going to pick up next spring has the trim on the sides soooooo..... there might be a possibility you could end up with a missing piece you might need Shocked If I make it back out that way I'll try to get some pics....

That would be very cool! Let me know.....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    EconoCarl
    EconoCarl

Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by EconoCarl Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 am

Great find Dan!
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:41 am

Items like that waistband trim is so hard to find, we gotta keep them out of the crusher!

I have one of those fiberglass covers for the step linkage. I'm going to give it to a Sportvanner I recently met here. His dog was in the back sleeping with his head resting on that lever! He'll be much happier with that round cover in place!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:56 am

I seem to recall a picture of a Sportvan member with a dog in the back.. Mine has a small piece broken at the hole, I think. I've never seen a perfect one. Do you have a picture?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 am

Dan,

If you go back there, grab those bucket seats and the mounting brackets... lots of people looking for stock 1st gen buckets!!
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm

Dan,I believe the guy with the dog in back your talkin about is 64Handivan.Him & Elvis.I looked for his Members Gallery page,couldn't find it.(?)It IS a sharp,clean,stocker van.
    KK...you talkin about these? People want 'em??
    Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 09080010
    In 1st Gen,one is short back seat,one is like a jump seat though.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm

KK, I'm with Moe.
    Not sure on the supply and demand on 1st Gen seats either. I couldn't "Give" mine away. And I tried! And ended up throwing a set away. Still got a full size set too.
    2nd Gen maybe, if your putting them in 1st Gen. Generally the first thing to go in a 1st Gen is the seats....

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Here is a picture of the step linkage cover that clutters up a SportVan along with the Battery box. A SportVan VIN number is G126,,,,,panels are G125,,,,,,,and SportVans came out in Late 65',,,,,,,,,mine is a panel with windows,,,,,actually an Early 65' which is the 1964 body with the 5 slot grille. The thing about the RARE SportVans was that Rich was constantly telling me how rare they are and he couldn't find one to buy. I bought him this StorageVan off Ebay,,,,,,sight unseen, since I was evacuated from the fires in 2003. He looks happy until he realizes that its not a DELUXE,,,,and that was the end for StorageVan. And then a few years later, I see 4 of those ALLEGED RARE SportVans,,,,,,all in HIS neighborhood.

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Rich_i10

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Vanaga17

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Vanaga18
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Thanks Don.
    That is the same shape hole mine has in it. Guess that's the way they are and there's nothing damaged about mine.

And as far as "Rare" goes..... I really think the panel vans that were converted to "Window vans" are what are rare!

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Agree.There's probably no way to track the converted either.Like I said,I've only seen pics of two.
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm

donivan65 wrote:Here is a picture of the step linkage cover that clutters up a SportVan along with the Battery box. A SportVan VIN number is G126,,,,,panels are G125,,,,,,,and SportVans came out in Late 65',,,,,,,,,mine is a panel with windows,,,,,actually an Early 65' which is the 1964 body with the 5 slot grille. The thing about the RARE SportVans was that Rich was constantly telling me how rare they are and he couldn't find one to buy. I bought him this StorageVan off Ebay,,,,,,sight unseen, since I was evacuated from the fires in 2003. He looks happy until he realizes that its not a DELUXE,,,,and that was the end for StorageVan. And then a few years later, I see 4 of those ALLEGED RARE SportVans,,,,,,all in HIS neighborhood.

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Rich_i10

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Vanaga17

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Vanaga18

And this is what that sports van Looked Like when the Party was Over !!!!!!!

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 245481078_MBwTMM-vi

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 283258796_AbVPVM-vi

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 239213575_5o5veM-vi

And Finally Me hauling off the Dead skelleton with the fork Lift !!!!!!!!

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 242383814_EpM64M-vi

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:21 pm

I don't think they were converted,,,,,,,it's just that they were ordered that way,,,,,,they paid extra for the extra windows,,,,,,RipVanArkie has the 13 windows also,,,,,,,I seen a green one for sale once,,,,,,but they sure are rare,,,,,so there are probably less than 5 in the World,,,,,and of course there were those people who did not want to spend the $27.50 for side doors,,,,,,,,,,,
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Sawzalls are so cool. Bill
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Post by Nightmoves Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:29 pm

lol! lol! lol! But that was some money in '65.What was avg wage then,0.45-0.65 an hr?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Now here is my club,,,,,,13 window 1st Gen panel vans,,,,,,,not to be confused with the 15 window SportVans that show off with all their fancy chrome and interiors and pop out windows,,,,,,,

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Chevy_10

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Rips_110

Sometimes it pays to chase a "RUMOR"...... :) - Page 2 Don_st11

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 am

Don,
    When I was talking to the GM historian, he referred to yours as a "Convert-a-Van". The dealer conversion package came with all the windows and seals, Cutting template and 8 bolt-in floor mounts for bench seats (for 2 bench seats), (Seats sold Separately.. lol)

Wouldn’t it be cool to find one of these packages at an old dealership somewhere?

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:20 am

We need to find out what year that happened,,,,,,mine does not have any holes for rear seats,,,,,,and I doubt Rips 64' does,,,,,,,however,,,,,,,,there are some sort of SportVan looking vans that do not actually say SportVan on them,,,,,,come to think of it,,,,,,a real 1st Gen Chevy SportVan, does not even say its a Chevy Van,,,,,,like the rest of the 64-66 models. I have Commercial license plates on mine,,,,,,,VanAgain was insulted when DMV wanted to issue Commercial license plates on his last month.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm

Late 1965.
    They were for the 1964 & 65 G10's (Sure they found their way into other years). Since they made 22805 in 1964 all were panels. No Sportvans were made in 64.
    In 1965 they made 35270 panels and only 7729 Sportvans. And at some point the Sportvan became very popular and dealers couldn't keep them on the lot and had dozens of panels they couldn't sell so GM produced this "Conversion kit" to fix the whole "Supply and Demand" issue.
    The kit did not come with seats, only the brackets so if you didn't buy the seats there was no sense in dealers putting in the brackets I guess.

And as far as the DMV goes... "No comment" I've had too many issues with them as well...

Dan

FYI:
    In 1966 they made:
    Panel Vans- 28180
    Sport Vans- 4209
    Sport Vans (Custom)- 2674
    Sport Vans (Deluxe)- 2341

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Don, I knew it wouldn't be long before you mentioned that Sportvans don't say "Chevy Van" anywhere on them!! I guess you've got the best of both worlds: "Chevy Van" and windows.

I was looking at the type style used on the Sportvan emblem and wondered if it was the same as "Super Sport" used on other 65 Chevys. Drop in a big block and we could call it a Super Sportvan!

Dan, do you have the production numbers for 65 vans? I've seen them somewhere and the Deluxes were similar, around 2000. I'd call that rare. They were just so deluxe that people hung on to them, kept them in good shape, thus we still see survivors! Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Then that would not apply to my van,,,,,since the kit came out in late 65',,,,,,,it would only apply to the unsold late 65' panel vans,,,,,,,,I don't think too many people would be bringing their 64 and Early 65 panel vans to back to the dealer for them to start cutting holes in the sides for windows. Those SportVans have different sized glass on the sides and the pop out windows, as well as the glass fits IN the body as opposed to the glass on mine fits flush with the body,,,,,but the window pattern is my concern,,,,,,2 square ones and one rectangular one mounted flush on each side. I was excited to buy a SportVan a while back for the Pop Outs,,,,,finally air in the back of the van,,,,,,the door ones fit but the passenger side ones would need you to cut and weld a channel iron frame inside the van for the windows to fit inside the van. So the SportVan window openings are way different in size and shape than a panel with windows. And then you also got that triangle window in SportVans,,,,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Hmm... all the talk about how cool the Sportvans do get me wanting to look for one to buy. Image me - a PANEL vanner thinking of a WINDOW van to buy ... Laughing

I'd best hit every nook of country around me on my trips wherever i have the chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:15 pm