VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
67a 100 pickup
dix
oo3
westcoastvanner
8 posters

Gas tank sending unit question...

westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Gas tank sending unit question... Empty Gas tank sending unit question...

Post by westcoastvanner Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:20 pm

oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Gas tank sending unit question... Empty Re: Gas tank sending unit question...

Post by oo3 Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:10 am

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8731
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm

I BOUGHT 1 OVER THE SPRING MINE WORKS FINE. SOME GUYS HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT SEALING SO I WENT TO THE HARDWARE STORE AN PUT 2 GASKETS ON MINE.. CLEAN YOUR WIRE AND THE GROUND CONNECTION YOU SHOULD BE FINE.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:35 pm

I had to double gasket mine and use my old lock nut to get a good seal.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am

I just put one in my tank, same as the other guys said, save your OEM lock ring and use that instead of the one that comes with the new sender. The new one is flimsy and doesn't have as much angle to the locking tabs.

I was able to use a single gasket, the OEM lock ring and some good gasket sealer to lock it in good. I don't know if my sender works or not yet as I still cant get my gauge to work. I just had a spare gauge rebuilt and tested but haven't had time to put it in yet (with an external limiter).
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:03 am

What is the 411 on testing dodge sending units ?? I pulled mine out and stuck an ohm meter on it and the numbers seem to be all over the place. The float had a hole in it and was full of gasoline so that was obvious. But I was getting numbers from 199 down to 34 and all points in between, whats up with that?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 am

That sending unit is a variable resistor,,,,,if you hook an ohm meter between the wire and the metal frame, you should be able to watch the readings change while you move the float up and down. When you move it up to the FULL position, you get a reading,,,,,move it down to EMPTY, you get a reading,,,,,,,move it to 1/2 and the reading will be 1/2 way between the the 2 numbers you got. Sending units are matched to the gauge,,,,,the sending unit needs to send the correct number to the gauge to make it read correctly. So you need to know what those resistance numbers are so you can test the sending unit by measuring it while moving the float arm from EMPTY, to 1/2, to FULL. And if there is a hole in the float, gas will get it and it will sink keeping the arm from going up and always sending out the EMPTY signal. (So can someone post the FULL, 1/2 and EMPTY resistance values for him to test his sending unit? )
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:06 am

Empty = 73 ohms
    Full = 11 Ohms

THese were taken from a brand new unit that (Yahoo Group) George got me. My 40 some year old gauge may be off a little, but at least I can tell if I should fill up.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Thank You !
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Digz wrote:Thank You !

No problem Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:14 pm