VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

body issue

plumcrazy704406
    plumcrazy704406

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-07-28

body issue Empty body issue

Post by plumcrazy704406 Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:04 am

can someone explain whats going on with this area of the body? Is this a common thing for these vehicles? If I start cleaning it up, is it going to be a can of worms?
    body issue Dsc04312
    body issue Dsc04313
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

body issue Empty Re: body issue

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 am

Plum,

Looks to be some past bodywork and it's starting to come apart water has got in and starting to rust.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

body issue Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 pm

DanTheVanMan wrote:Plum,

Looks to be some past bodywork and it's starting to come apart water has got in and starting to rust.

Yep.

It looks like rust leaking out from under bondo to me, that's what happens when you don't treat for rust (with something like Ospho) first. Look at it from the back side and see if it looks like it was damaged/repaired. It will take a little work but you wont know what you've got until you get into it.

If you want to try and fix it you'll need to sand the paint off the work area, take the old bondo out and remove any scale or surface rust. Treat it with a rust catalyst like Ospho/Prep-n-Prime etc, repair/replace any rusted out metal with new metal, prime, replace bondo, sand and paint. Home Depot, Lowes and all kinds of auto-parts places sell rust catalyst under a variety of names, Prep-n-Etch, Prep-and-Prime, Right Stuff, Rust Mort, Ospho... HD/Lowes will probably have it cheapest. Clean the area of dirt, treat the rust, clean up with Mineral Spirits if needed, be careful, it will eat your clothes/eyes and sensitive areas. I made the mistake of wiping the sweat off my neck with the same rag I was wiping up Right Stuff with without thinking about it (durr) I wont do that again.

My van has some surface rust and a few pinholes here and there so I'm going through the same process. I really cant swing a $3k paint job so I plan on doing most of the easy rust treatment and sheet metal repair myself. Take a good look at it before you start, it might turn into a bigger project than you were looking for.
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:44 pm

normal " rocker panel and dog leg" rust. it will get bigger if you don't open that can of worms and fix it correctly now before you put a good paint job on your vehicle.
    plumcrazy704406
    plumcrazy704406

Post by plumcrazy704406 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:32 pm

thank-you for the responses. I am by no mean an expert in these trucks, but I my thought line is on the same wavelength of the responses. Generally speaking, what would a proper repair price range be for this area? Does someone make replacement dogleg piece for these trucks? like eg: fender for a car?
    plumcrazy704406
    plumcrazy704406

Post by plumcrazy704406 Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:04 pm

the deal for this truck has fallen apart. thx everyone for your answers on the dogleg photos. back to looking for one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 pm