VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Van newb

lemuiexm

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2010-07-28

Van newb Empty Van newb

Post by lemuiexm Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

so I was checking out some old vans because I do a lot of hauling crusty motorcycle bits around and I fell in love with the a100. Id really like a 60's slant 6 panel van and I have no idea what I'm getting into. I have a few general questions:

Is it relatively easy to find parts?
    what problems can I expect? e.g. what always seems to need replacing, etc.

I restore/rebuild old jap bikes but this will be my first big vehicle project.

thanks,
    Mitch
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Van newb Empty Re: Van newb

Post by RodStRace Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Parts: older vehicles in general are not a visit to the local parts store, but they do have quite a bit for these. There are some parts that are only on the net and some that are specific and hard.
    Nothing that someone that does old bikes would not already have experience with! Very Happy
    Problems: These are pretty basic vehicles, but the average person doesn't know about or remember lube jobs, tune-ups with points and the other stuff that have been built out of newer cars. Unless you find a pristine one, expect to find some or all of these; fuel system clogged up with old gas and rust, worn and brittle wiring, sloppy steering, worn/sloppy clutch and shifter linkages, worn suspension bushings, tired engine, suspect charging system, rust issues, and the bane of all cheap older cars with multiple owners - modifications and "fixes" that are often worse than the original problem.
    Again, if you tackle old bikes, this should be a breeze. There may be a spot or 2 that your experience just doesn't cover, but that's what the manual and the forum are here for!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Welcome Mitch. Rod about covered it. Our Forums are for all van lovers and cover just about every problem any vanner ever had. If you need parts just ask in the "Parts wanted" section. If you have a question do a "Search" and if you still can't find it just ask. You'll get lots of replies...

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van newb Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Welcome to the board Mitch.Just to add to the above,don't leave out,on the main page of VV,there is an Old Forum for reference too.Might get some good answers and reading material.Try to find as decent of a body you can,might save some headaches down the road.Mechanical,I bet you can handle if you've fooled with the old Kz's,GS's & CB's.Good luck man.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Ahhhh Yes. Good one Moe. I tend to forget the old forums sometimes...

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Van newb Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Welcome!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content