VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Question on A-100 automatic transmissions

Optik
    Optik

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-06-15

Question on A-100 automatic transmissions Empty Question on A-100 automatic transmissions

Post by Optik Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 am

I have a 1964 Dodge Dart that originally had a pushbutton shifter, I know that the best year of transmission to look for in passenger cars is the 1965 only because it is still shifted with the two seperate cables yet has the slip-yoke output shaft. Is the same true of A-100 truck/van transmissions? Are 64 and 65 shifted by two cables, one for drive gears and one for park? I'm going to the junkyard to look for a possible transmission to swap into my Dart so I can use the pushbuttons again, I had to delete them because they weren't compatible with the later model trans I already have in it. Also how do I look at the A-100 vin and tell what year it is?
    thanks!
    -Tim
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Question on A-100 automatic transmissions Empty Re: Question on A-100 automatic transmissions

Post by RodStRace Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:34 pm

All the A-100s have the bolt on yoke AFAIK.
    Maybe some of the A-108s didn't.

As far as the shifter, the later ones had a standard external linkage, the shifter just used a cable to move it. I don't know about the 64-65s. Getting a service manual for yours will answer this and a ton of other questions.
    Optik
    Optik

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2010-06-15

Question on A-100 automatic transmissions Empty Re: Question on A-100 automatic transmissions

Post by Optik Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I don't actually have an A-100, I'm just considering them as a possible donor for my 64 Dart for a transmission that I can use with my pushbutton shifter instead of the stupid B&M floor shifter I have right now.
    I know all the passenger car automatics up through 65 used the pushbutton- or "cable-shifted" trans which actually uses two cables, one for park which goes in the rear of the trans, and a seperate one for the rest of the gears and neutral. Both 727's and 904's were this way. Its nearly impossible or at least big $$$ to make a post-65 trans work with the pushbuttons so I'm trying to figure out if an A-100 trans from 65 or earlier will also work. I know where there are several auto trans A-100's so if I can find the trans I need it would be a score as the 65 trans's are worth a lot of money to mopar guys who want to use the pushbuttons but also keep the slip yoke. Thanks for your help!
    -Tim
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:53 pm

no . the a's all used a single cable that i ever saw. your two cable trans from your dart is unique and difficult to find parts for. the push button automatic vehicles included everything from darts to big chrysler wagons and some half tons had a two cable trans but i personally never saw one in an a-series van or pickup. dvap.com is a place in arizona to check or wildcat auto.com in oregon. if wildcat dosen't have a complete trans with shifter cables and select buttons ill eat my keyboard. just kidding , i,m fat enough...
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:16 pm

The A-100 autos are a bit tough to find, so if you can grab a few cores, do so. Guys here can use them and they would be good trading material for the trans you need.
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 pm

My '65 Sportsman w/ a 273 V8 has the separate cable for Park. I believe '64s and '65s had 'em. I also believe the Park cable is no longer manufactured.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:31 pm