VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
savage
panelmanrd
Digz
BILLS66
GreyFoxMC
m1dadio
donivan65
Vanish
12 posters

1ST Gen WindShield gasket

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Empty Re: 1ST Gen WindShield gasket

Post by Digz Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 pm

I got 1 from Arrow head truck parts and it fits the opening perfectly, One of you guys gave me the info ! I havent installed the windshield yet tho. Thats my disclaimer..lol
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I bet you brothers just took the part number listing for a G 10 from N.A.G.S. (which is listed wrong) and they belive it is right. But it is actually for a 67 to 70 van.

NAGS is the "national auto glass specifications" that many supliers use when buying and selling parts. Thats why many will tell you they have a listing for the 65 and 66 but they don't know they are giving you the WBL693 gasket for the 2nd gen.

Somebody here might contact brothers and tell them, or find out thier source part number to conferm.

When I bought mine from the weatherstrip connection I went through this BS with the sales guy who insisted he had the listing and I had to tell him I didn't want his listed part number , I gave him the WBL653 number and told him thats what I want, he gave me the "well I can't return it if its wrong" routeen.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

,,,,,,,someone ought to grab them up at THAT PRICE! I will try it out on a 2nd Gen windshield,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:29 pm

More Glass stuff,,,,,,,, I can see how someone would end up with a smaller windshield IF they measured the window opening,,,,,,the Windshield is really 1/4" larger than the opening and fits ON the frame, not in it.....

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor72

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor73

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor74
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I think the pieces are falling together,,,,,,,there probably is a 64-70 Van windshield gasket and it also fits a 64-66 Pick Up,,,,,,but probably the FINE PRINT says,,,,," you need to cut this gasket down and glue it together to fit the 64-66 Van and the 64-66 pick up",,,,,,,, so this gasket really is a 67-70 Van gasket,,, BUT can be made to work on a 64-66 Pick up and Van,,,,,,there surely is not much demand for a 64-66 Van gasket to make them or keep them in stock. Now the Pick ups are popular,,,,,,they make real gaskets for them and they just happen to fit the 64-66 Vans. So this Brothers is a real 67-70 Van gasket. And it fits a 2nd Gen Windshield. However,,,,,,someone don't want me cutting his new Brothers gasket so today we go the TruckandCarshop store in L.A. and we buy their pick up gasket,,,,,,,so lets see how that compares to this ALLEGED Chevy pick up gasket from Brothers........
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Don, as I remember, "a little long" means; when installed on the glass it feels and looks to be about one or so inches to long maybe. It is loose enough to just about fall off the glass in a couple spots, but stays on the glass all around.

But not looking like what you have there; yours is clearly about 5 or 6 inches too long and is falling off in some spots.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Thats right Michel, I got another one from TruckandCar shop,,,,,,its pretty big also on the glass,,,,,,but I will see how it fits on the frame before cutting it,,,,,,,and speaking of cutting it,,,,,,I don't know about putting the seam in the middle at the bottom,,,,,,,seems to me,,,,,WHEN,,,,,,not IF,,,,,,the gasket shrinks,,,,,,the wipers are pushing water right into the seam and that area is a trouble spot,,,,,,,water gets trapped on the channel and rusts it out and also goes onto the dash,,,drips down on the fuse box and floor,,,,,,and it looks UGLY sitting right there on the front of the van,,,,,so the seam on top is a better choice for me,,,,,,,,easier to get to,,,,,,easier to hide,,,,,,,,

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor18

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor19
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Don, is the first picture the gasket you got from the truck and car shop?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Thats right,,,,,,,,me and Vanish went to their store in LA and bought 2,,,,,,,,and I brought a box of Van parts and asked them to show me the closest pick up parts that they got so I could modify them to fit our vans,,,,,,But, even the glass guy says,,,,its cut to fit or stretch on a lot of these windshield gaskets,,,,,so maybe thats the story,,,,,,cut out the hunk you need,,,,,and maybe there still are some REAL pick up gaskets out there,,,,,,there really can't be too many different manufacturers left,,,,,,,that makes like 3 different places that have the big gasket,,,,,,I think the next guess would be to try the pick up one from ArrowHeadParts and see if it is a direct fit..........
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 pm

the windshield rubber i got i didn`t have to trim or cut, just
    worked the excess around the glass before taping to glass, let
    set for a while then installed into the van with a length of rope
    in the grove the steel lip fits into.
    here is the website address classicparts.com.
    they are located in Riverside Missouri, and they will ship you one,
    I paid 29.99 for mine. I would not cut the rubber and try to glue it
    togeather. Rubber shrinks with time. the gap in the bottom of
    all the old ones are proof of that, don`t cut it,
    massage in into place just takes a little time.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 pm

I put a ClassicParts gasket on my van 5 years ago,,,,,I did cut it and the seam still has not come apart,,,,,but my van never probably never sees any temps below 60 degrees out here. And here is a pic of the Brothers,,,,fits right on a 2nd Gen windshield. But I don't have my razor knife out yet,,,,,I will let the TruckShop gasket sit out in the sun and try and stuff it in next week,,,,,,but,,,,,the less time you spend touching that windshield the better off both of you will be,,,,,,

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor20
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:49 am

Don; maybe you guys are not understanding what I said earlier in this stream.

From my research; most of these auto part supliers and glass shops order thier stuf by part number listing. Many order through Precision and they all use the N.A.G.S part number listings (National Auto Glass Specificationss) and then like Brothers attach thier own part number to the product.

Unfortunatly the N,A,G,S, llistings are wrong and shows a gasket (we know to be a 2nd gen gasket) NAGS claims it as being for the 65-69 G10 van. In other words they all think they have the gasket for the 65 or 66 by part number listing but we can see by the N.A.G.S. part number that it is in fact a 2nd gen gasket.

What I am saying is what ever your part suplier is telling you about the gasket he suplys is based in wrong imformation comming right from the manufacturer.

You need to order the gasket by part number and not vehicle application.

The "WBL653" is the one that fits the 1st gen without cutting.

I even had to argue with the guy at Weatherstrip connection to get him to order the part number I wanted, he insisted I was wrong because his listing told him the 65 G10 used the WBL693 .He was so stuck in a world of his part listing being Gosple and couldn't think outside of his little box that he agressivly told me there would be NO Returning the gasket if it didn't fit .

Unfortunatly, many of these part supliers have no way of knowing the listing they used to purchase the part is incorect, and they unkowingly trasnfer the mistake on to the consumer.

When visiting your suplier, try to find out where he got the part from and what his supliers part number was?? Eventually down the chain of middle men you are going to find the "WBL" number of the part from its origine ,and thats where you will find the N.A.G.S. number listing that is incorrect.

Anyways; if you get the right gasket you wont have to cut it and it is about $28

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 am

It would be better to get the right one,,,,,,,,,but like you say, it's lost in the translation,,,,,and hidden deep under layers of numbers, cross references and re labeling. But this was a good post,,,,,,,we got to learn more about windshields,,,,,,,,it's not over yet,,,,,,,,cutting and gluing is not the end of the world,,,,,,,,easy to pop a windshield out and put in the RIGHT GASKET if we stumble across it,,,,,,,,and even my glassman said,,,,,,,they do a lot of cutting, gluing and stretching to install some of this junk gaskets that they get,,,,,,,but we will find the Genuine Thing eventually,,,,,,,,,,,and you are right about ordering it by part number,,,,,and not application,,,,,,but that is the problem right now that is taking so much time and holding everything up.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:08 am

Look at this catalog at Restoration Specialties. They list a windshield gasket for our vans:

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009%20Catalog%20ebook/2009%20Catalog%20ebook.pdf

This is a very long catalog! Look on page 58 to see their kits for all our other window rubber too. You can look in different sections to see various cross sections of the seals but I assume they've pulled together everything for these kits.

Has anyone ordered from this place?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:55 am

Ok,,,,lets see todays progress,,,,,,,I went to the TruckandCarshop store,,,,said give me a 64-66 pick up windshield gasket with the standard trim,,,,,package says,,,,you open it,,,,,you bought it,,,,,,and here is what it looks like, same as the one from Brothers,,,,,,,so I have to say IF you order a pick up gasket you better ask if it is a WBL 653 or you will be cutting it to fit......or using it on a 2nd Gen......

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Nodoor21
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:12 pm

So we need a cross-reference of WBL653 to see what other vehicles it was used on.
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 pm

I Googled the number and found a few places that sell them for $31.00
    but it shows 10 different truck models so I think a phone call is the best choice. Maybe we can get someone that can actually help. These days it's just punch a number into the computer and what you see is what you get.

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/precision-parts-wbl653--precision-parts-c371305-windshield-weatherstrip?p=g25_50&gclid=CJPfr57izaICFSKkiQodnAq1xg
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:45 pm

Ok,,,,,good job, guys,,,,,,,,I guess we aint going to find a REAL 1st Gen Van gasket and have to settle for a REAL pick up gasket,,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,I guess the best bet is one of the ones that at least mention WBL 653,,,,,,,,,,

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Gasket10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 pm

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Gasket11
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:31 am

Well there is lots of confusion for sure. That resotoration specialties list does show the correct number for 67 tp 70 van and a different number for 64-66 vans. I would have some confadence in that, at least they recognise the two different gaskets.

All I can tell you for for sure is I recieved the part number " WBL653" gasket and it fit the my 65 without cutting.

M1D
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 pm

So did you get yours from a Canadian Company? Could be that the West Coast gets their gaskets from one company,,,,,the East Coast, a different one,,,,,so I think I will order one from a different area,,,,,, This place here shows the same gasket for the pick up and van,,,,,,,(Well at least it looks like we made some profit on these 2nd Gen gaskets we ended up with)

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 Gasket12
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm not sure where my gasket came from but I am off the belief that they are all made by these people anyway.

http://www.prp.com/

M1d
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 am

Don(or Bill) i'm looking for a windshield gasket for my 68. if you want to get rid of one of your growing supply of "not 1st gen van" ones. Then well know if it fits a 2nd gen
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:46 am

Hey Tom PM Donivan ... he's got a pile of them over there ... LOL ......

Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:53 am

We Are Going with this One next !!!!!!!

1ST Gen  WindShield gasket  - Page 2 KGrHqMHCMEvC3Une4iBL6H18W0w_12-vi

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content