VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

PCV Question V8

Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

PCV Question V8 Empty PCV Question V8

Post by Digz Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Okay I have a small oil pan to timing cover leak , I didnt notice the cover has a very small bend at the dowel pins, I'm presuming from a previous tear down and they pulled it off wrong, the leak is minor, but When I tromp on the gas I get a little more oil escaping and it is not coming from the crank seal, My question is this , Im running a single pcv that is plumbed with a 1/2 inch hose, the fittings of course restrict this further, Should I consider running a double , one to each valve cover or am I just getting "splash" towards the front of the pan? I know I need to repair the cover but it is not a big enough issue to keep me from driving it for the season.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

PCV Question V8 Empty Re: PCV Question V8

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:33 pm

So do you have excessive blowby???? Even if you do, you should have a fresh air vent from the valve cover to the air cleaner or a vented oil filler cap to relieve any excess pressure anyways,,,,,,I would wipe some silicone sealer over the area to stop the leak and make sure the fuel pump shaft jack bolt hole is not the source if it is an 8 cylinder,,,,,,,,,,that timing chain probably has a spray nozzle aimed at it so there would be a lot of pressure hitting the backside of a timing cover,,,,,,,,
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:02 pm

No blow-by that I am aware of. I'll dbbl check that bolt. Oil running down the inside of the timing cover makes sense to me. So a little silicone it will get for now! Thanks for the insight,, again,, lol
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Often when someone pulls the timing cover off without removing the oil pan first it will bend the cover down at the bottom near the dowl pins.

Your 1/2" PVC hose and fitings are fine. Make sure the other valve cover has a filter or atleast open to let air in.
    I don't think there is a jet spraying oil but you may have a blow by issue. Otherwise its oil flying off the slinger under the crank gear.

Once the leak has started I have never had success trying to goop it up.

But you can loosen the timing cover bolts near the bend by about 1/2 a turn then use a flat ended bar and hammer, and hammer the cover down straight right in place. Then re-tighten the bolts. That sometimes works.

M1D
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 am

make sure you have the correct pcv valve and that it is not plugged

M1D
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:28 am

One way to goop stuff up until it can be fixed properly is to drain the oil, clean the area as much as possible, then block off the PCV and vent holes in the valve covers. Now, rig up something to draw a vacuum on the dipstick. Not a big suction, just a negative pressure in the engine. While this is happening, apply the goop to the leak area. The vacuum will draw the goop into the opening.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Just wondering how you determine whats the right PCV valve? M1 ?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:08 pm

Go by application. If your combo is not stock, try something that is close.
    Say you went from a 250 to a 350 with a bit of a cam and a 4 bbl. Look up a 1970 LT-1 Camaro 350. That's a pretty radical small block and should work for your application.
    The valves are designed for idle flow and total flow, with a flow curve that is from the spring and the end of the valve. Too much flow at idle and the carb can't be adjusted properly. Too little and the crankcase pressure will vent or worse, blow seals.
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Quite honestly I never thought they were more than a simple generic check valve. I am lacking a vent one of the rocker covers, but have a place to go with one on the carb bonnet. The pcv i have wasn't sized ,,it is a Mr Gasket type of thing that worked with the valve covers, I dont remember the catalogue even listing anything for applications. learn something new all the time !
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Post by m1dadio Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Make sure the pcv hose and intake port are wide open. They get restricted with sludge and sometimes plugged right shut.
    M1D
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for the info/tip there Rod & M1.Damn I love this site.Always learnin!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 pm