VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next?

Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next? Empty Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next?

Post by Guest Mon May 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi guys,

I have a 1965 Chevy Sportvan that has a slight leak in the fuel tank. I removed it and did all the prepwork perfectly and used a fuel tank sealer to coat the inside of it. I thought I had done it all correctly. However, the next day I looked inside and saw a couple of large puddles made from the sealant. Everyone everywhere says 'don't let it puddle'. But there is no information about what to do if it does puddle.

Did I just ruin my tank?

Also, I would be interested in buying another one but can't find one anywhere. I'm in Washington State just north or Portland.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS - Still looking for a shift lever as well (between the linkage rod and the tranny).
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next? Empty Re: Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next?

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next? Empty Re: Help! Fuel Tank Sealer Puddled... What next?

Post by Guest Mon May 17, 2010 1:07 pm

You are awesome. Thanks for finding that shift lever. I've been looking for that part for awhile.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm

And tip that tank on its side to let the puddles flow until they dry up,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Mon May 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Does it dry hard, or like rubber? You should probably call the company who made it, maybe they can tell you what to do. I can't imagine that it would do anything more then take up space that gas could be using. Oh, and maybe since it pooled it didn't get enough someplace else in the tank.

Post by Guest Mon May 17, 2010 1:54 pm

The company told me to basically strip it and seal it again. That's pretty much what I was guessing was gonna happen. I might just strip and quit messing with it all together. I'd rather have a few small leaks than a clogged fuel system.

Post by Guest Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

All of this has made me want to get a replacement fuel tank. Any ideas of where I should go? I've called every junk yard and manufacturer and can't find anything. Thanks.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:16 am

I have a fuel tank that has about a half inch of settled fuel tank liner in the bottom. I softened it up with gelled paint thinner and took it out in pieces. A real PITA. I suspect the company that makes the stuff deals with that all the time. Frankly, I if I know the first puddle was secure and I had done the original acid treatment well, I would probably just do the goop again and make sure it didn't puddle. Maybe you lose a quart of fuel capacity yet I doubt that much after that stuff shrinks.

If the sealer company tells you what to do, please post it. I think getting a stock tank for our old vans is pretty difficult.

Good luck, Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:54 am