VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
sasktrini
wacko
6 posters

wiring help

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

wiring help Empty wiring help

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Hey,

Just putting my dash back together and have developed a couple problems. When I turn on my parking lights my left dash blinker lights up but not the parking light. If I turn on the turn signal it works fine. Any suggestions? Also none of the lights behind the speedo are working (new Bulbs).

Thanks
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067

wiring help Empty Re: wiring help

Post by sasktrini Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:03 pm

It's possible that you got the park and signal wire switched. Dash blinker should not be on at all. That's my guess is you have two wires in the dash coming from there to the left bulb, and the bullet connectors got switched. So which two wire colors go to your park lamp? Trace those back up under the dash.

BTW, the signal light may appear to work okay, but it's probably running to the park lamp filament in the bulb... probably less intense than the other bulb. What's it look like with your headlights and turn signal on?

Last edited by sasktrini on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BTW)
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 pm

I didn't change of the wiring so that is what has me baffled. I don't beleive I was having this problem before.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:26 pm

maybe a crack developed in the line going to the front left, and it's shorting through the signal circuit. Is the wire brittle? Maybe if so, some tape over any potential shorts could do it. Still, there's a reason why your signal indicator comes on in park...

Gonna ask a dumb question... is it possible you put the gauge illumination bulb in the turn signal indicator location, and except for that everything is okay? My oil light flashed when I first reassembled my gauge cluster, if you know what I mean.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:44 pm

nope, I have the right bulb in the right location. Like I said it flashes when I put the turn signal on.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 pm

The only thing I have done is that I did remove the old Trailer brake control from under the dash which left a pink and I think red wire behind which are currently just taped off.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:57 pm

You also said that the indicator comes on when you turn on the park lights.

Other possibility is to inspect the bulbs and sockets for the side that the indicator comes on in Park mode... for clean contacts, etc.

Trailer wiring... probably tied in with the brake circuit, which probably piggybacks on the turn signal circuit... meaning the brake light uses the turn signal wiring to activate the bright filament in the rear bulbs... double check that the trailer wiring is properly isolated. Other than that, I'm stumped. that's why everybody loves electrical gremlins, right? Good luck,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Take the lens off the turn signal light and run a ground wire to the bulb base and see if it comes on,,,,,,,,,do it to the dash 1st,,,,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 pm

donivan65 wrote:Take the lens off the turn signal light and run a ground wire to the bulb base and see if it comes on,,,,,,,,,do it to the dash 1st,,,,,,,,

Hey Don, do you mean run a ground to the bulb base in the dash first? I did just paint my dash and instrument panel, do you think it may just not be grounding properly?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Yep,,,,,,,,,to test it,,,,,,,the dash has to be in for the bulbs to work,,,,,,,,,and anytime bulbs start acting funny, take a jumper wire and add a temporary ground and see if anything changes,,,,,,,,Like pull out one of those sockets leave its wire hooked up and connect a jumper wire from some metal to the socket ,,,,,,,,see if the bulb lights,,,,,try some other ones,,,,,,,you could of blown a fuse or something, but add a ground and see if that is the problem,,,,,,,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

When I remove the lens cover from the parking light and ground it to the socket the light turns on.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:52 pm

I can not get any of the lights behind the speedo to light up. Tried pulling the sockets and grounding them. Did the same thing with the blinker lights and they light up. Is there a specific fuse for the speedo lights?

Also since the parking light lights up when grounded does this mean I need to adjust the light fixture to make it ground better?
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:19 pm

Sounds like grounding issues, I had the same problem with my 69 after tear everything a part for painting. I had 3-4 issues with grounds before I got everything working again
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 pm

You can sometimes have a back feed through another device if you have a bad ground. I've also had slightly corroded connections that allowed enough power though to show voltage, but not enough to light things up. Mad

Just one of the reasons I love my test light Very Happy
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 pm

You got lots of problems, but after 40 years, thats normal. If you take a 12 volt test light, ground the clip and go touching the bases or sockets of lights and the light or the test light comes on, that means there is a bad connection between the frame and the base of the bulb,,,,,you lost the ground to it,,,,,,and that usually happens where 2 pieces of the base meet,,,,,like a rivet or press fit,,,,,so make the circuit complete,,,,,like add some solder across the joint ,,,the idea is to connect that body of the bulb to the negative post on the battery,,,,,,LOTS of places to for stuff to go wrong,,,,,As for the dash lights,,,,,the headlight switch turns them on,,,,,,,and can also dim and turn them off with the rheostat knob,,,,,,and there is a fuse,,,,,,,so you got 3 suspects right there,,,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 pm

The parking light fixture is new, as of last year. there are two wires that attach to the fixture, is one a ground? Or is the fixture grounded by the bolts holding it to the body? Could the problem be that the socket in the dash for the blinker light is not grounding properly which is causing the parking light not to work?

When I grounded the parking light socket the parking light lit up and the dash light went out.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:50 pm

You did some work on the parking light areas didnt you? I bet its just not grounded at the fixture. might have to make sure the surface where the nuts are on the back is free of paint or whatever is there. One wire is the parking light the other the turn signal . As you know the dash is just held in by those 2 posts on the bottom and those clips on top, maybe it grounds thru the clips?? I'm not sure if there is a jumper ground in the harness to help that out.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 pm

The dash grounds through the 2 screws that hold it in on the bottom,,,,,, reach up under the van and clip the jumper ground to one of the bolts that holds it on,,,,,,if the light works, then you have a bad connection under the nuts that hold it on,,,,,,,,if it still don't come on,,,,,then the base of the light has a bad connection,,,,,,,,,the bulb has a bad connection from its base to the nut that holds the light assembly on,,,,,,,,,just take that jumper and work your way from the bulb base back,,,,,,,you will see where there is a bad connection,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Ah Ha! Filed the bolt holes that the Parking light fixture attaches to and viola!!! it works again!! I guess it just was not grounding at the fixture.

Tomorrow I wil start with the speedo lights.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Right !! Screws, got them mixed up with the guides, I need more memory pills again...
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm

How can I check to see if the Temp/Oil and Generator warning lights work?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Turn the key on. They should light. Its kind of easy to mix up all those light sockets behind the dash. The Alt and the Temp light should have 2 wires on them. So unplug the oil pressure sender by the dipstick and the light should go out with key on/engine not running. Unplugging the Voltage Regulator should put out a light the same way. The Temp and Oil senders are hooked together,,,,,,they just ground out AFTER there is a problem which puts one of those dash light on. The voltage regulator puts that other light on like if the fan belt breaks and the alternator quits turning,,,,,,,then the other light comes on since the fan and waterpump also quit and the engine overheats. But this whole system is pretty sad,,,,,,,Add a Temperature Gauge and a Voltmeter and you will see all you need to know about how your engine is doing.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Post by sasktrini Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 am

wacko, I'm glad you're making progress! Electrical work actually feels quite rewarding when stuff actually starts working, huh?! Cheers!
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:03 am

Ok got 2 of the three speedo lights working. I don't seem to have power at the third outlet.

I also only seem to have an outlet for 1 of the 2 warning lights. I have power to it but the outlet came apart. The brass knob on the end of the one wire came off. Can I purchase a new brass knob and crimp it to the wire or do I replace the whole outlet?

And finally I do have the three guages mounted just below the dash (amp, oil temp, oil pressure). All three light up, but none of them seem to be working. Any tips on where to start? Also, are these aftermarket? and if so could this be why I am missing one of the warning light outlets?

Thanks Again
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

OK,,,,,,the hole story,,,,,,,,,

wiring help Dashed10

Sponsored content