VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
richie61
Scott
6 posters

What Carb is it?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

What Carb is it? Empty What Carb is it?

Post by Scott Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 am

This carb is in my 66 Sports Van, which gets started once a week, but is pouring gas from its side onto the manifold. While I work out where and why its leaking I figure this carb is the perfect guinea-pig for me to do my first rebuild. First problem I have is knowing what rebuild kit to buy for it.

Any of you recognize what Mono carb this is, and possible what rebuild kit it takes? scratch

What Carb is it? Dsc05410

What Carb is it? Dsc05411

What Carb is it? Dsc05412

What Carb is it? Dsc05413
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

What Carb is it? Empty Re: What Carb is it?

Post by richie61 Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:53 am

Don't know much about rebuilding the carb but mine was pouring out of both sides when I got it and I changed the gasket and it's been fine ever since.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:33 am

Get the carb # off the bowl, (its on the lower section, facing the drivers seat) and have them look up the kit for it.

What Carb is it? Yf_kit10
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:23 am

I haven't taken it apart yet, but if there is a gasket at the bottom of the bowl, thats were its leaking. Looks like the bowl drains when its not running. When I try to start it, it fills up and starts, but as the pressure builds it starts pouring onto the manifolds.

I pulled the carb yesterday and checked the # on the lower section of the bowl, it looks like I'm the owner of a Carter YF 1895.

It was nice to see the "Made in USA" on the side of that Carb too. To bad we don't see that much anymore, and when we do its not always completely true.

Thanks y'all for the help on this..
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Did a little more cleaning on this and found the right number..

YF 4375s

donivan65 wrote:Get the carb # off the bowl, (its on the lower section, facing the drivers seat) and have them look up the kit for it.

I know you told me to look at the bottom of the bowl, but I guess I still looked in the wrong place. Digging around I found this site that helps identify different carbs. Yeah, it's a Camaro site, but it covers from 67-69.

http://www.camaros.org/carb.shtml

This picture shows where I found my model number, I was looking on that thing to the left.
    What Carb is it? Carb_y10

Here are the two kits that Autozone has listed..
    What Carb is it? Pictur15

What Carb is it? Pictur16
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue May 04, 2010 9:53 am

I finished rebuilding the Carb, and spending three days looking for the key. When I did the rebuild I found a lot of crud, and no filter. So now its rebuilt, I put in an inline filter, and it starts just fine.

It no longer idles when its warmed up, I have to leave the choke on or it dies. I haven't adjusted the idle screw yet. It started pouring rain, I was just happy to hear it running again. I'm going out of town for a week, so it will have to wait.

One thing though, I probably should have asked this before the rebuild, was I suppose to use any kind of gasket spray when I did the carb rebuild? I didnt, and I could see the gasket seeping a little. Is that normal for a fresh rebuild? The directions for the rebuild were pretty worthless.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu May 13, 2010 8:55 am

Bump
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu May 13, 2010 9:15 am

You definately need to adjust the mixture,,,,,and you need to spray or soak the carb in carb cleaner and blow the passages out with air. But where is it leaking from? ,,,,,AND,,,,,did any NEW problems show up AFTER you worked on it? There are some problems that show up on these carbs,,,,sometimes the ball check falls out of the pump housing, or the metering jet gets tightened too much and it cracks the housing. and did you put the correct lower bowl gasket on it? After you adjust the mixture and if it still acts up, spray
    some carb cleaner starting at the base and work your way up and into the carb and see if the engine idles better,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon May 17, 2010 7:17 am

Before I started it would start fine, then pour gas from the gasket that seals the top of the bowl. But it would warm-up and idle fine. Not too smooth when I tried to drive it, it would sputter and die a few times before I could get it rolling. That was before it started leaking though.

Using about half a can of carb cleaner, swabs, shop towels, and an air-compressor, I cleaned all the parts inside and out. There was a layer of red powdery stuff in the bottom of the bowl, and the gaskets were brittle.

The check valve ball was still in the pump housing, kind of snug, but it moved around a little. I basically took it apart, cleaned it up, and put it together with new gaskets. While taking it apart I found that some of the screws had been put in the wrong holes, the closest screw to where it leaked before was too short and wouldn’t tighten down. I got the screws arranged correctly, and used the thick gasket between the carb and the intake.

When I adjust the mixture does it give the engine more gas when I loosen it, or tighten it? Right now it only idles with the choke on. Where its leaking now is more like seeping, that’s why I wondered if I would suppose to use any kind of gasket cement, or if it was just normal for new carb gaskets to seep a little when the gas fills the bowl for the first time.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 9:11 am

There should be no leaks unless there is a crack or the part is warped. Another thing is that they used 2 different sized needle and seats and floats on this carb,,,,and it would be easy to have a carb that has mixed up parts on it. The float should never let the gas level go within 1/2" of the top of the bowl, so it should never overflow. And is the gas really coming out the top of the bowl or leaking out the filter fitting? The mixture screw is fuel,,,,,screwing it out lets more fuel in,,,,,it should be like 1 turn out if the carb is working right,,,,,and screwing it in and out from there should slow down the engine also. Do you have the bowl vent set right,,,,,it should be open letting air in at idle. Did you replace the accelerator pump rubber diaphram? Did you check and straighten the pump base so it seals correctly,,that ball needs to be loose in that hole,,,,,,,,Did you adjust the metering rod correctly,,,,,,,,spray carb cleaner at the base to see if the idle smooths out,,,,,AND don't be asssuming that those gaskets are correct on that carb and be installing the wrong ones,,,,there is a vacuum passage that feeds the accelerator pump diaphram that can leak in that lower bowl gasket and lean out the mixture,,,,,,,anything else Scott,while I sit here in my motorhome,,,,in a driveway,,,,,in Chicago,,,while I wait for the rain to stop,,,,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am

donivan65 wrote:,,,,,in Chicago,,,while I wait for the rain to stop,,,,,,,,,

Don't you have a rain suit? You should be out getting your fill of Chicago Hot Dogs. You going to be back in time for the Pick Your Part 1/2 price Memorial Day weekend sale?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm

The fun meter sure is running pretty low,,,like maybe the sun has come out 2 times in the last 9 days I have been here. And the wind wants to blow you off the road if you are still on it after hitting the pot holes. So Joey, you planning on coming to Southern California on Memorial Day? I will probably be back at the end of next week,,,,,,,,and don't worry about me going hungry,,,,,there is like a Hot Dog/Beef/Sausage shop on every corner,,,,,,
    64chevy
    64chevy

Number of posts : 364
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Post by 64chevy Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 pm

It's raining here today if that's any consolation.

I'm thinking about heading South for the big weekend if work doesn't get in the way.

A few weeks ago I heard your Car Talk Guys commenting about the abundance of San Diego potholes. But their probably bigger in Chicago.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon May 17, 2010 12:55 pm

If you would like something to do I can pack a Carb up for you to rebuild. Very Happy

I’ll recheck the screws, but it sounds like I have a different problem going on since the bowl shouldn’t get that full. The rebuild kit doesn’t come with much for instructions, so I was just kind of winging it. Looking through one of the Dealer Shop Manuals last night I found a few pages on carb rebuilds. Wish I had looked before I did the rebuild, it would have been been a lot easier. You have given me a lot to chew on, I’ll take another look, and I might have to take it apart again.

Thanks for the help and info, hope the weather clears-up for you.

Last edited by Scott on Mon May 17, 2010 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 12:58 pm

,,,,,,,,maybe VanAgain will give us a ride in his van,,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon May 17, 2010 1:05 pm

And Scott,,,,,look at my 2 pictures of those Carters,,,,,,see what bowl vent you have and if you used the correct kit,,,,,,,the float should sit level when you turn it upside down and it rests on the needle,,,,,,not at an angle,,,,there is like an 1/8" difference in needle and seat heights,,,,,and if you bend the float arm to adjust it, it won't run right,,,,,,,,,
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 am

On Sunday I worked on the 66 a little..

I noticed the oil filter was rusted so I pulled the filter I had just put in the 68 a few months before I pulled the engine, i also put fresh oil in the 66. When I pulled one of the heater hoses out of my way to put on the replacement filter the hose snapped in half. Guess you can say someone got their moneys worth out of them. Going back to the 68 I pulled the heater hoses and put one on the 66, just looped it and skipped the heater core for now.

I also snugged-up the carb screws, and checked the fuel line bolt where it enters the carb. After all that he started right up, and nothing seeped from the carb this time. After it warmed-up I gave the idle screw a couple small turns out and it idled fine.

If I ease into the gas it revs OK, but if I give it a good push it sounds like its sucking a bunch of air and dies.

I'm sure I got the right kit, but that kit covered more then one carb. I was real careful to look over the different gaskets to make sure I used the right ones.

So, at this point I don't know if it's the distributor, maybe not advancing, or if I still have the carb out of whack.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 am

Are the points and condenser new and adjusted?
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 25, 2010 9:20 am

I had a leak in my gas line that was sucking air and would cause it to do something like that . Once I changed all the rubber hoses and the metal gas line from the tank it stopped. Like Don always says you got to know what you have and any 44 year old lines got to go. I'm on my 2nd set of fuel filters just from the rust in my tank I thought I had cleaned out??? I'm on the third adjustment of the points now and going to HEI soon. The fun never stops!!!
    I've got to the point like Vanagain where I'm pulling stuff off, cleaning, checking and replaceing if needed. Don and others have taught me well and I'm glad.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue May 25, 2010 9:35 am

I installed a clear fuel filter about six inches before it feeds the carb. It's nice to see what floats into that thing. So far its been pretty clean, not sure why, if I was driving it around it would probably stir some stuff up off the bottom of the tank.

Right now I have the old fuel line pulled from my 68, not sure if I should just put it back, or replace it. Is there any reason to replace an old fuel line if it doesn't have any holes, or isn't plugged?
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 25, 2010 9:54 am

Since there was rust in my tank there must of been rust in the line as well. I probably wouldn't of changed it right away if it wasn't leaking and dripping on my head when I was under it last time. But what I've been able to read and learn so far I would of changed it anyway. I never read this much in school, my wife keeps saying what are you reading now, and I tell her there is a lot wrong with my van and this is my library so be quite and let me learn!!!
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am

When the heater hose is rotten and the fuel line was changed, it's time to replace ALL hoses. The one at the tank, the one at the pump, the one at the carb, the vacuum lines, the radiator hoses and heater hoses. It may end up over a hundred bucks with coolant, but you will know when they were all done and not chase issues.
    It's a good time to check the belts and brake hoses too. Then you know all the rubber is fresh.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:05 pm

donivan65 wrote:Are the points and condenser new and adjusted?

Just saw this last night, don't know how I missed it.

I guess it's time I figured out how to work on the points and condenser..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 pm

The points and condenser are the root of all evil,,,,,,
    veefre
    veefre

Number of posts : 424
    Registration date : 2008-09-10

Post by veefre Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:53 pm

If the carb kit didn't come with float level adjustment instructions, perhaps you'll find it on-line or in the factory service manual.

When I rebuild the carb for my '67 V8 (2 barrel), the float level was way off, as well as the adjustment for the accelerator pump.

And yes, you definitely need to adjust the idle jet screw. You must have taken it out to clean the carb, right? If not, now is the time to do it... Like Don said, 1 turn out is a good place to start.

Basically you want to set the idle to the rpm specified by Chevy for that motor. You also want to check that the distributor timing is set right. Then you adjust the idle screw inward (leaner) until the engine starts to stumble, then adjust about 1/4 turn out from that. All this once the motor is warmed up. Don't over tighten the idle adjustment screw; it could damage the screw and seat and then it never will idle right.

A single barrel carb is twice as easy to adjust... you only have to set one idle screw...

The best way to clean a carb is to get yourself a 1 gallon bucket of the original formula Berryman "Chem Dip". It's nasty stuff, with creosols and chlorinated hydrocarbons in it, but it really gets rid of the varnish and gunk. It's also getting harder to find in some states (I had to buy a five gallon can of the stuff from a performance shop because all the 1 gallon cans have been pulled from the shelves in California). If you do get it, make sure you don't store the can on metal or directly on concrete. Set it on a piece of wood for storage - at least that's what the instructions say). And the spray carb cleaners have also been neutered - they used to contain chlorinated hydrocarbons, which worked well, but now they are mostly flammable solvents like hexane, toluene, etc, which are more of a fire danger and don't dissolve deposits as well.

The modern substitutes simply don't work as well as the older nastier stuff. Although I have heard that 100% biodiesel is a good carb cleaner.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:01 am