VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Spray Adhesive for stock headliner?

wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Spray Adhesive for stock headliner? Empty Spray Adhesive for stock headliner?

Post by wacko Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Hey Folks,

Been doing some work on the windshield frame and had to pull down part of the stock headliner in my '66. Question is, what is the best thing to re-attach it to the roof? Is there a specific spray adhesive that anyone has used for this?

Thanks
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Spray Adhesive for stock headliner? Empty Re: Spray Adhesive for stock headliner?

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:09 pm

That spray stuff is Ok for cloth, but if you got something like cardboard or paneling, then I think G-Man, the Carpet man, would know what to use,,,,,,,,,what did it look like was on it,,,,,, Liquid Nails?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Spray Adhesive for stock headliner? Empty Re: Spray Adhesive for stock headliner?

Post by Digz Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:09 am

I have used the spray contact adhesive on the 1" thick sound deadening foam in the tractors and equipment and it worked okay. The metal surface needs to be clean and free from any layers of dust or rust. If your headliner is the fabric like I took out of mine it has a layer of fiber-like padding on it, that will be the trouble spot, perhaps a gentle wire brushing would freshen that up?
    And mask off anything you dont want sticky ,,that stuff wanders a bit when you spray it. You've got me thinking about trying to re-use mine now... the worst that can happen is it falls back down, As far as a brand name maybe the guys will have a good idea, the stuff I have used came with the kit for sound proofing and was a kinda generic looking can.
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I think it is actually leather or vinyl type material. I has left a bit of fuzz type matierial behind where it has been pulled down.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:10 pm

i recently tore the sagging headliner out of my '86 Ford F-150 and used some mossy oak material to match my seat cover {its my redneck truck} i grabbed 2 cans of 3M headliner adhesive spray from the auto department at wal-mart. its awesome stuff, has a rotating nozzle for spray width. It ran me about $6/per can, but worked excellent. Follow the directions and FOR SURE scrape off any foam before you shoot. otherwise it tends to try to dry in the pores before you apply your headliner
    wacko
    wacko

Post by wacko Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Cool, I will check out the local Wal-mart.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:23 am