VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
dan nachel
RipVanArkie
Twinpilot001
Magic Bus
8 posters

Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc....

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc.... Empty Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc....

Post by Magic Bus Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:34 am

Im getting ready to paint..have a guy lined up with a paint booth...he's gonna spray it....I had  a metallic factory color picked out..

Stunned by paint prices...ie dupont chromabase  398 dollars for one gallon plus reducer.

I need about 3 gallons plus clear coat..

Leaning toward a matte/satin finish inside and out, kinda limits my single stage options.

Squeeg's has an interesting low cost option, but cant find any images of anything shot with it.  Of course no metallics, 19 colors.

http://www.squeegshotrodconnection.com/automotive-coatings/

Ive only got about 2k in this van so far so Im struggling with spending 1500 on paint alone

I never knew there were so many brands of paint, my painter has a standox paint station and has told me its big money for his paint, thus looking for alternatives.

Id appreciate any feedback you guys can offer, brands, quality, painter friendly etc...

I smell paint..Very Happy

Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc.... Primed10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc.... Empty Re: Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc....

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:14 am

I have used about every paint brand  made till about 1990. I have always had best results with PPG products. Also =Dupont. Ill also add i do not like painting with  the new clearcoat type finishes. Due to having to paint the vehicle  two times. just my ways & views . I learned to paint all on my own - wasnt very hard to do & just pat attention to how all flows when applied too! Now- a secret an old car painter & body man taught me - when you think you have that body work done satisfactorily???? get a simple  shop towel / rag/ cotton cloth. Put it on those body panels  & go along any panel with your bare hand. It will show up every high/low place that you thought was perfect!! It Works!! Magnifys the areas  !!affraid Twisted Evil Sad

Ill also add =whatever brand paint you choose- remember this - when you need some again?? for touchups or a fix on a panel?? is that place that you get your paint from?? still in buisness?????????? Use a name brand , quality product & never any problems!!cheers 
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc.... Empty Re: Dupont PPG Nason Matrix Pro Spray Metal Lux paint etc....

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:41 am

heres a company - sells all materials =paint and everything!! u might ever need too - u can even get online & request a free catalogue & also email them for some nice paint charts -prices are not 300-400 bux a gallion too:affraid: :cheers:https://blu180.mail.live.com/default.aspx#n=1202696926&fid=1&mid=80e6be5c-0b36-11e3-961b-00215ad96570&fv=1
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:44 am

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/

You realize it would be simple enough to put some plastic on the sides where u have that van parked in & paint it easily ? just a thought?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:55 am

another cheaper place 4 paints too==)) http://www.eastwood.com/
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am

Looking good! Wish you could bring it up the Mtn this year!

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Check out "hot rod flats" They have some good paint at reasonable prices
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Well, it seems there is a "@#$% paint costs" thread in every forum for the past ten years.
    There is cheap paint and there is good paint. There are some paints that are just crazy priced, but let's ignore them.
    So you want a decent single stage and enough to cover every surface inside and out? I ask because I was able to shoot my 108 just on the outside (no jambs, no interior or underside) with less than a gallon of paint. Remember, the activator is another quart at 4:1. And it was my first complete job, so I used more than a pro would to cover. 3 gallons (plus another 3/4 gallon activator) should be able to cover top bottom, and inside, with plenty to do the doghouse, suspension, engine, etc.
    Rather than ask a bunch of guys all over what paint you should buy, I'd suggest asking the guy that's going to pull the trigger. He should be comfortable with the stuff and how it covers and lays out.
    I use and like U-POL primers, PPG, and Nason. I used Advantage (low line single stage) in a stock color on the 108. It didn't flow out quite as nice, but you can always color sand and buff those big ol' panels!

I will say that I prefer a base/clear when shooting metallics. You can worry about coverage and laying out the metallic evenly on the base coat without worrying about drips (you shoot lighter) or orange peel. Then you shoot the clear and just worry about getting it to lay out nice. A bit more work, but the results are easier to achieve and look better right out of the gate.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Post by Magic Bus Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies, I am working with the guys that are gonna spray it, leaning towards standox.  Base Clear, metallic, in the meantime the temperature is rising and Im developing a real close relationship with sandpaper.....Im trying to dry sand but sometimes the sweat is pouring so hard it turns into wet sanding!

Rod...as far as a paint cost thread on other forums, Im not sure about that cuz I really only look here regularly and Im just beginning to learn about the different qualities and prices of paint..

I think it was you that encouraged me 2 years ago..I posted a dumb thread saying ok I have a rusty van and a D/A sander and didnt really know where to begin...You said you were glad to see a newbie give  it a go and its really been a learning experience...Ive transformed this thing from a rustbucket to a pretty straight rig and I absolutely cant wait to get the paint on it and get some pics posted..

As far as the amount I need, I need enough base to paint the entire van inside and out, doghouse roof bumpers all of it....then enough clear to cover all that. Thinking maybe 2 gallons of paint and 2 of clear, trying to work that out with the guy thats gonna paint it for me.

Last edited by Magic Bus on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Glad you got into it and it's looking like the home stretch!

I frequent a Mopar site and still hang around the HAMB.
    Both have the 50 dollar roll on paint threads and at least one questioning or explaining paint/body costs a year. I've heard that other forums are the same.

The local paint shop is having a Labor Day sale. I'd strongly suggest finding out when your local shop has sales. It might pay off to wait a bit if you can save a couple hundred! Talk to the local body shops to find this out.

2 gallons each sounds better. Depends on how well the color covers, how good the shooter is and how many rounds in the booth it's going to be.
    I'd suggest shooting the roof base and clear first, then mask and shoot the inside, then mask and shoot the outside. Last round is all the extra parts. Depends on how they like to handle doors and jambs.

Don't expect perfect straight out of the booth. There will always be some (hopefully small) issue.
    My teacher and other experts have said " I can teach any monkey to shoot. A REAL painter is the one who can fix the problems!" Base/Clear make repairs much easier too.
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Post by Magic Bus Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:00 pm

Rod, thanks again and I'll check on any "sales" that might be going on.

And I think your probably spot on on the sequence as far as what gets painted first and last etc..

Post by Guest Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Your on the one yard line now, make sure you give the ball to the good player that's gona score.Came to fare to drop the ball now. But that just my opinion and you know what there like.  joe c
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:50 pm

,,, Kirker stuff is good enough for me,,,,,,,

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/
    chester42
    chester42

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2009-04-06

Post by chester42 Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 am

I also used Kirker from Smartshopper and love it. Has held up well and is easy to use. They have kits with everything needed to do the job. My van has received some best of shows and also 2 best paint awards. Not bad for first complete paint job and my being a retired ironworker.
    back2thewoods
    back2thewoods

Number of posts : 842
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by back2thewoods Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:37 am

I use smart shopper also, great prices, the paint holds up. also they supply ,eastwood and summits paint, all kirker products.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:06 am