VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Magic Bus
RodStRace
texasjohn
61econoline
mcfly
itruns
rev.chuck
G-Man
Digz
BloodyKnuckles
14 posters

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! Empty New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Just a quick intro.

My name is Ron and I'm from Concord, NC. I have a horrible disease; I am addicted to old cars, especially traditionally styed customs and hot rods. I have a 1931 Model A, 1950 Austin, 1951 Plymouth, 1954 DeSoto, 1961 Buick Skylark and a 1963 International. 2 of them are drivers and 3 of them are about 80% completed projects. All of them were drivers when I got them but I can't leave well enough alone.

So, I saw a friend of mine a few weeks ago and we got to talking about different old cars and I mentioned the early Econoline vans. He procedes to tell me that he knows where one is and he will get it. I didn't think anything about it until he calls me and tells me to swing by his place to check it out. I get to his house and he tells me to get in the truck. We drive over his property to a barn that is way out in the field. We get out of the truck and what do I see? A well neglected 1961 Econoline van that has been in the barn since 1980.

It was beautiful (..in my little mind..). It had a rather large bail of hay that at some point fell over and rested on the side of the van. When I saw it I knew I had to have it.

Well today we went to pick it up. I planned on unearthing it from the barn but my friend already did the hard work for us and brought it up to his house.

Here is what I saw when I got there;

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! 0307150036_01

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! 0307150116_01

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! 0307150058

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! 0307150046_01

What a beaut! Huh??

Anyway, It is 100% complete. It has been sitting since around 1982. It has so much dust, wasp and other animal nests all through it but it is in great shape. It has no rust other than surface on the outside. It rolls and steers just fine. It has only 1 dent that is actually creased and a few that I already popped out. The seats are torn.

Since I was a little kid I have always wanted a van like this; Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Jeep. I never really thought I would end up with one but when I saw this one I knew it was meant to be.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about these things. It has a 6 cylinder which from a little bit of reasearch I did it could be a 144 which is a whopping 85, yes, 85 HP. It has a super small rear axle that has a rear removable cover. I hooked up a battery and check for something. I found that the solenoid clicks but the starter does not. The lights work but the turn signals don't. The wipers and the heater will not turn on.

It was stuck when I got it but I did a bit of work and...

It runs!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and it runs damn good. I have replaced the starter, cap, rotor, points, condensor and coil.

I pulled the gas tank out and it had 30 year old gas that was pretty nasty. It also has a few rust holes that have me concerned. I am going to look for other options as I feel that a replacement tank may be hard to come by.

I also pulled the radiator. I believe it is split at the bottom so I am on the look out for a new one.

Then on to the fuel pump, water pump, brakes and tires.

I know this is going to start to add up but what I'll have in it would be less than if I bought one running and driving already.

I have no real plans for this other than to get it running and driving and to just enjoy it for what it is for now. I have a list of projects that are so close to completion I can't even think of a full blown project on this one.

If anyone could shed some light on reference materials or web links that they would recommend it would be greatly appreciated.

So with all that being said, am I an Idiot?

BloodyKnuckles
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! Empty Re: New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

Post by Digz Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Welcome to the site !! Looks like a very good score to me , Im not a ford guy but there are plenty here who can help you out for sure.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! Empty Re: New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

Post by G-Man Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm

Welcome to the site!!! Once you get early's in your blood there no turning back. I also I'm not a Ford guy, but do a search on econoline gas tanks and there a thread about modding a Mustang tank to work. From what I see you made a hell of a find. All the parts there just some cleaning and prep for paint and you have a criuser Very Happy
    rev.chuck

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2010-03-08

Post by rev.chuck Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm

i believe dont quote me but i believe a 65 mustang tank is the same gas tank
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:39 pm

Welcome to the site.

Gotta love those barn find stories!

If loving my Early is wrong, I don't want to be right. Smile
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:51 pm

mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Well BloodyKnuckles if your an idiot, them welcome to the Looney Bin.New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! Themou12

mike

Post by Guest Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

GOOD FIND. The Mustang gas tank needs to be modified since the fill hose in in the rear and the Econo one is on the side. You can buy a very nice aluminum radiator three or four core from Champion Radiators for under $250.00. Just google Champion Radiators or run a search on ebay. That is where I got mine. I had an aluminum 20 gallon gas tank made for $200.00 so that is an option.
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks alot guys for the welcome.

I've been guided here through another site. They said that there is a bunch of good info and people so I'm glad to be here.

Thanks for the mustang info also.

I'll keep you posted throughout my progress.

BloodyKnuckles
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Looks like a great find to me welcome to the site.Macs antique auto parts is a good source dennis carpenter and green auto in kentucky a few guys here sell parts and oldeconolines on yahoo is another great sit.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:53 pm

texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Like G-man said....once you get one, its in your blood. I'm leaving in the morning to get #8....Saving the world one Econo at a time....
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:30 pm

the lil woman evensold her scooter for the cause....god love her
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 am

Good to see you over here BK!
    This place isn't nearly as frenetic as HAMB, but lots of good info.
    Glad to hear it's running and your TLC has been rewarded so far. Like most old cars and trucks, it's more about that than parts, although they all need some parts!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 am

i'm just glad that 'barn finds' still exist!!

awesome econoline, and welcome aboard!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 am

Awesome find, Your a lucky Man.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Nice find! cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I'll tell you, this is one of the nicest greetings I have ever recieved!

You guys are great! Thanks!

Do you guys know if a carb rebuild kit comes with the plastic accelerator pump cam that mounts on the side and has linkage attached? I broke mine when I was trying to get the carb to operate?

I have rebuilt many carbs before but never one like this. It's a 1 barrel Holly.

Thanks again.

BloodyKnuckles
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:44 pm

A quick search found this
    http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000021f~Z5Z5Z563614~P25.95~~~~~~~F#

In the View Picture view, it does not have the part you mention.
    The guy may have it separate, though.
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Thanks for looking for me though.

I have a few guys checking if they have a spare carb for me.

BloodyKnuckles
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Post by RodStRace Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

This guy has rebuilts for .......229!!!! What a Face
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Post by texasjohn Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:26 am

THE KIT FOR MINE DIDNT COME WITH IT
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:51 am

That's what I was afraid of.

Thanks.

BloodyKnuckles
    mr. duece

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by mr. duece Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 am

Welcome to the site. You've found a great community with loads of info and knowledge.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:08 pm

pony carbs will have it, john may not sell you one but he has them.
    welcome to the best site on the net! these guys are great.
    jeff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am