VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+10
Magic Bus
RodStRace
texasjohn
61econoline
mcfly
itruns
rev.chuck
G-Man
Digz
BloodyKnuckles
14 posters

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Number of posts : 43
    Registration date : 2010-03-14

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

Post by BloodyKnuckles Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09 pm

A guy on another site decoded my vin and said it was a 170 instead of a 144. I am happy to hear that but is there markings on the engine that could differentiate the two?

Thanks for all the help and kind words.

BloodyKnuckles

New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Guy, New Project...1961 Econoline Van...Am I An Idiot!!

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:04 pm

beautiful van and welcome to the site!
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks again for the kind words.

Just a bit of an update. I have been collecting all the vital replacement parts like; fuel pump, water pump, brake hoses and wheel cylinders, belt, radiator and hoses and some tires.

I just acquired a Holley 94 that has a fresh rebuild from a close friend. I am planning on running it but I need to build or buy an adapter. The radiator I picked up is a new one that was ran only once. I am excited to say that I only paid $40 for it.

I have been looking for the best deal for a mustang gas tank. I haven't purchased one yet.

I am so excited about this van. I have neglected 2 other projects because of this thing. That's OK.

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Sun May 30, 2010 2:19 pm

So, I have some good news;

I DROVE THE THING TODAY!!!!!

I'm a bit excited as you may be able to tell. I have been pecking away at it as much as I can lately.

I replaced the water pump, fuel pump, radiator, hoses, belt and I rebuilt the carb. I fired it up today and other than no brakes I saw no reason not to drive it. I just did a few laps around my driveway.

Pretty cool. Brakes next.

Also, I know it's been done but I'm having a hell of a time finding info on it. I'm to the brake section of my van and I have everything I need except a MC. A new one is about $100. I would rather upgrade to a dual and spend my money wisely.

I hear a lot of talk about '67 E-100 MCs being what a few guys have done.

I would love for someone to shed some light on the subject in detail. I can fabricate if need be. Just need some solid info.

BloodyKnuckles
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Sun May 30, 2010 2:40 pm

I musta missed out on tellin you welcome to the site.Thats a heck of a find you got there.Just think...28 tears of sitting,and a hand full of basic parts,& you DROVE it ! Theres not a lot of us who can say that.Glad for you bud.
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks for the kind welcome. I'm really enjoying this van. I have big plans and can't wait to get it driving and safe.

My goal is to do a dual MC swap. If I do it I will document how I did it and post pics.

Thanks again,

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Guys, thanks for the heads up on the Mustang tank. With about an hour and a half worth of work I have modified the new tank and I plan on installing it on Friday. Run new fuel line to the pump and the only thing left will be the braking system.

Woo hoo!!

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I know it's been a while since the last update but life got in the way again.

Well today I replaced the rear wheel cylinders, the hard lines on the axle and installed the tank finally. I was happy to find that the brakes are completely new inside but the WCs got all screwed up after sitting for 30 years.

Tomorrow is replacing the hard lines on the frame to the master, replacing the front WCs, rebuilding the master cylinder, running the fuel line.

I'm hoping to have it completed tomorrow. We'll see.

BloodyKnuckles
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 am

Nice van Smile
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:23 pm

slowflapper wrote:Nice van Smile

Thanks alot man.

Well, I got it finished tonight.

I replaced all the wheel cylinders, rebuilt the master, replaced all the hard and soft brake lines, installed the gas tank, ran new fuel lines, adjusted the carb again, installed a set of wheels and tires I got in a trade (...not bad, just not permenant).

Few things need attended to;

1.) I need to change the rear diff fluid
    2.) I need to find a good exhaust manifold or a set of headers
    3.) I need to replace the plug wires
    4.) I need to find the fuse and check them
    5.) I need to make sure all lights work properly
    6.) I need to Figure out why the new gas tank doesn't register at the gauge
    7.) I need to get the wipers to work
    8.) I need to get the heater to work
    9.) I need to change the transmission fluid

All of this info is primarily for me so I don't forget.

Pics tomorrow.

BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles
    BloodyKnuckles

Post by BloodyKnuckles Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Here is an update that I posted on the "E" board;

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/e-van-general-discussion-f5/got-the-61-on-the-road-safely-t16734.htm

So a new chapter begins.

BloodyKnuckles

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:17 am