VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Side Door Lock Issues.

Side Door Lock Issues. Empty Side Door Lock Issues.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Help!

My 1968 GMC Handi-Bus (right) side door lock isn't working. The issue isn't with the key lock itself, nor the lever near the window, it's something inside of the mechanism. I took off the interior panel to see if it was rusty, but the mechanism looks as good as new. When the door handle is at the 3 o'clock position (closed), I can't turn the key to get the lock to move nor can I get the lock to engage by pushing down on the lock stem near the window. When I turn the handle upwards to open the door, it is in this position that the locking mechanism functions by turning the key and by pushing down on the lock stem, but it doesn't actually lock the door. Does anyone recommend taking the whole mechanism out of the door to work on it or should I replace it?

Thanks!
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

Side Door Lock Issues. Empty Re: Side Door Lock Issues.

Post by Kakster Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:34 pm

I know if it were me, I would try to fix it first. As a last resort I would replace it. I am no expert on these locks but that would be my approach. See what others have to offer.
    Kakster
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 pm

The door handle, when looking at it from the outside, should point towards the rear at the 9 o'clock position when the door is closed and the rods are out. the rods come in and the door opens when the handle is turned straight up to the 12 o'clock position. The door becomes locked if the rod from the button pushes the lever in or the key cylinder lever pulls the lever down. The end of that lever has a tab that stops the handle which locks the door. That tab wears down and the door won't lock,,,,,,

Side Door Lock Issues. Side_l10

Post by Guest Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:10 pm

Donivan,

Right on.....the info. about the tab really helps. What should I do? (Does this require replacing the tab or the entire lock assembly and if so where's the best place to get the parts?) Is it easy to remove and install the assembly?

Thanks,
    Jason
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 pm

If you reach in there and feel that the button pushes that side lever back and the key pushes that C lever down, then you have a problem with the locking tab. The rivet could be loose, or the tab slide but you could rebuild it with a welder. SportVans got that fancy door lock button on the inside, but a plain one will work. And it has to be that forward side door latch. You can take yours out and maybe you can bend the lever so it hits the rivet and stops it.

Side Door Lock Issues. Side_l11

Side Door Lock Issues. Side_l12
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Post by ViewMaster Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Idea Another problem I've had with the cargo door locks is the old saggy handle.
    Side Door Lock Issues. 0807081414bm8
    This is usually breaks the outside base plate's stop off
    Side Door Lock Issues. 0807081411oz4
    or the rib in the handle. But if it has not been abused and is still intact
    Side Door Lock Issues. 0807081413zj4
    the play between the square tube that the handle goes in and the plate needs a little welding. A cure that Greg at VCVC.org turned me on to.
    Side Door Lock Issues. 0807081406rp5
    I've had mine not turn the plate enough and it was in the way of the locking bar from sliding up into the locking postion. So reach inside the door and see if you can slide the locking bar up with the handle in the closed postion. If not you''l need to take the mechanism out.
    Also saggy handles can be from the shafts of the handle being twisted, they should be square with the handle.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm