VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
Vanish
DanTheVanMan
savage
wylee
Nightmoves
Digz
G-Man
itruns
wideload
13 posters

One Thing Leads to Another

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

One Thing Leads to Another Empty One Thing Leads to Another

Post by wideload Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Made the decision to go to Baker's again this June, this will be my second time. I started doing some needed work on my 67 to get ready for the trip. First thing was to install a new set of gauges that I got for Christmas.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3513
    I was going to put them on the bottom of the dash but after going to nearly every parts store in town and not being able to find any tubing for the oil pressure gauge longer than 6' I decided to put them on the front of the doghouse. Also installed a multiple 12v accessory plug to run the MP3 player. Front of the doghouse worked out fine, the 6' tubing was long enough and the gauges are easily visible from the driver's seat.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3610
    While doing this I noticed that my idiot lights weren't working properly. Finally traced that to a bad connection at the plug where the wiring harness goes into the doghouse. I removed the plug and hard wired all the wires together to eliminate that problem.
    Have had a little problem with the 292 running warm in the summer weather so I installed an electric pusher fan (my hamburger fan) on the radiator and got an external transmission cooler for the powerglide.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3611
    After I got everything installed I gave the inside of the doghouse and the 292 a bath.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3514
    After letting everything dry for a couple of days I started it this morning to make sure I hadn't drowned anything out. Started fine and all the gauges and lights worked fine.
    It's never had any dome lights since I got it and the headliner over the front seats was sagging a little so I decided to try and install some dome lights and cure the headliner. This is what I found when I removed the headliner.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3515
    After seeing this I decided to remove the entire ceiling to make sure there wasn't any other damage.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3516
    The rest of the roof braces looked fine so the next step was to remove the damaged roof bow. I was afraid to grind the welds because the insulation is the blown in type cellulose(flammable). This chisel did the trick fairly easily.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3517
    Thanks to my parts vans I already had a replacement roof bow. I'm going to pop-rivet it in place instead of welding it and chancing setting the insulation on fire. There's always been a smear of silicone on the roof since I got the van from Portland Oregon. The previous owner ran a roofing business and I was hoping that it was something that just got spilled on the roof. Not that lucky!!!!!!! That white thing hanging down just in front of the roof bow is the silicone on the inside. I guess while I've got everything apart I'll be doing some welding on the outside of the roof. At least its in the middle of the roof and you won't be able to see it from the ground until I get around to paint.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3612
    I cleaned the new bow up and the roof and put a coat of Rustoleum on them. At least the wires for the dome lights were still there and worked. Just lucky that hadn't caused a problem because they were cut but hadn't been taped,just hanging loose up in the ceiling.
    Now I'll have to make a decision on what kind of ceiling I'm going back with and what kind of dome lights to install.

One Thing Leads to Another Empty Re: One Thing Leads to Another

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Laughing Man, I know how that kinda thing goes! One simple chore turns into a major undertaking! It's good though....you'll make lots of progress! Keep on keepin on...
    itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Lookin' good.

I thought the 12V port was a coin dispenser. I guess I'm just too old school Smile

That white thing hanging down just in front of the roof bow is the silicone on the inside.
    Some may see a drip, I see a spot to mount an antenna. Satellite, CB, Police scanner Twisted Evil

Post by Guest Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:50 pm

...or a search light. Wink
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:23 pm

Mike she will be road ready in no time , you have got alot done. I like the gauges there.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Yeah ,, it all looks good ! ditto on the antenna idea , i got a hole in my roof there to,, left it there for a CB or somethin'
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for the ideas on the hole in the roof guys. I was set on welding it up but for now I think I'll clean off the silicone and put a bolt with a rubber washer through it. Would make a good spot for a CB antenna but its a little off center of the roof.

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:30 pm

man-o-man! the ankle bones connected to the leg bone,ect. seems like thats how all simple fixes go.good thing youve got a spare or two to rob from.i think the guages look pretty cool on the d/h.coming around good mike.
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:45 am

love the gauge setup. ..
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:27 pm

Been trying to decide on a new headliner in the 67 and taking some measurements. Decided that if I added a extra roof bow that it would take one less 4'x8' sheet of whatever to cover the roof. I fixed the original roof bow that was bent(its going back in the original position) and welded the extra bow to it with a 1" space between. This will allow for an 8' length to run from the rear of the van to the center of the added bow. That way two sheets will do the rear of the van and one will do the front over the driver's and pass seats.

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3613

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3614

I need some input on what kind of adhesive to use in between the roof and the roof bow. Any body got any suggestions?

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3615

Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 pm

If your going to weld or rivet that extra bow in place I would just use some seam-sealer. I know stuff like Liquid nails and such doesnt like the heat ya get from the sun on the roof, it dries out and cracks from moving. Maybe that panel bond the body shop guys use?
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks Joe. I've got a friend that runs a body shop, I'll check with him Monday.

savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:10 am

Eastwood got some good stuff
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 pm

Got the roof bows installed. Used silicone between the roof and the bows and 1/4" sheetmetal screws to attach the bows at the wall. Used a jack to push everything up against the roof good and snug then installed the screws.
    Got the front section of the new head liner installed today and the front dome light installed and working. Feel like I've been beat with a ball bat from working over head so much. Used 1/4" masonite with a brushed stainless finish for the headliner.

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3616

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3617

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm

That looks sweet Mike. Just tell the young ladies to wear turtlenecks. Very Happy
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 pm

It has a nice clean look Mike , nice job
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:19 pm

I was originally planning on going with a white ceiling but found the brushed stainless stuff at a local discount building supply place for $13 a sheet. Planning on doing the rest of the interior in mostly grays so it worked out fine. Had never seen any with that finish before.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm

That headliner looks great!
    Digz
    Digz

Post by Digz Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:50 am

Hey Mike, what did you do to help hold it up at the front over the windshield? Or didnt it need it? It looks like a very tight fit on mine in that area, not even sure if I could get an 1/8" stuck in there. Thats looks good and is a cool idea.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:21 am

Joe on the 2nd gen it just barely slips in between that top rail and the roof. I used a piece of paneling that I removed from the 66 for a starter pattern but had to go a little larger for the 2nd gen. I'll check later today but I'm pretty sure it was in the same place on the 66 and on my 65. It's tight and just barely goes in enough to hold it. Think I'm going with a piece of wood trim fastened to the front and side rails up next to the roof to help hold it in. My 65 already has pieces like that down both sides, about 3/4"thick. I'll get you some pic's of the 65 today so you can see what I'm talking about.

DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 am

WOW, Big difference Mike. Lokks great! cheers

Dan

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

One Thing Leads to Another Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    Vanish
    Vanish
    Admin

Number of posts : 5155
    Registration date : 2008-05-02

Post by Vanish Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am

MIKE THAT looks GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks Guys !!!!!!!!! I got the rest of the panels up today and finished up the dome lights.
    One Thing Leads to Another 100_3618

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3619

Haven't taken time to wipe it off yet so what your seeing is not scratches it's the dust from cutting it. Now all I like is some trim around the top of the walls to cover the gap and some wood bows to cover the screws. Going to use wood trim stained and cleared.

Digz your right the 65 doesn't have enough room for the paneling to slip in at the top like the 2nd gen. I checked the 65 and it's just butted against the front of the windshield frame and supported down the sides with the trim pieces.

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3620

That's another change from 65 to 66. The 66 has at least 1/4" maybe 3/8" gap to allow the panels to slip in like on the 2nd gens.

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3621

One Thing Leads to Another 100_3622
    Kind of hard to tell in those pic's but the gap is there on the 66.

Going to work on putting some Fiero seatbelts in tomorrow and pick up the trim this weekend. Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:27 pm

I like it!!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Very Nice Mike!!!