VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+9
sasktrini
jkr
BILLS66
61econoline
mcfly
kookykrispy
kiwimopar
texasjohn
G-Man
13 posters

what is the least fun thing you have done to your van?

what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Empty what is the least fun thing you have done to your van?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

so far for me its been the engine mounts, the aftermarket ones from the flaps are made a little different so the bottom hole is hard to get bolt in, had to cut some rubber away.

how bout you guys
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Empty Re: what is the least fun thing you have done to your van?

Post by G-Man Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

changing header gaskets, no room and even if it runs only a minute you can't put your hands up or down there

what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Empty Re: what is the least fun thing you have done to your van?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:30 pm

oh man you are so right gman hedder gaskets suck. i only run percy gaskets now.
    texasjohn
    texasjohn

Number of posts : 672
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by texasjohn Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:28 pm

PUTTING GAS IN IT......OUCH
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 am

Removing spring eye steel bushes and 40 year old rust Rolling Eyes
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 am

The least fun thing I have done to my van was wrecking my old '66 sportvan and being so sad about the extensive body damage that I just let her go to the junkyard in 2002. Rust in peace ol girl.
    mcfly
    mcfly

Number of posts : 626
    Registration date : 2008-11-10

Post by mcfly Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 am

Explaining to my wife why I needed to buy the second one
    after I used all my "A" material getting her to sign off on the first one.what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Bullbe10

As far as working on it ,
    I am not looking forward to the undercoating.

mike
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:18 am

Sanding off the 4 coats of paint from previous owners.
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:19 am

Cleaning and scraping the under side. Bill
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:15 pm

quote from mcfly --- Explaining to my wife why I needed to buy the second one

it is easier to beg forgivness than ask permission.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 pm

jkr wrote:it is easier to beg forgivness than ask permission.

Words to live by!!!

My worst? Stripping out old shag and insulation littered with mouse scat and spiders! ACK! Funny, also one of the best once it gets done!
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794

Post by Digz Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Considering everything I have done to mine so far, thats a hard call to make, I expected the worse on most of it , so it didnt upset me alot when stuff went tough. The small stuff you think should be easy gets me, and the most recent was the window fuzzies and channels . My arms looked like I had a fight with a bobcat when I got done.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 pm

pulling the fuse block out and repairing crispy wires.. while saving the original end clips for reinsertion Smile it sure pays off when all your lights work, though!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Replacing the shift linkage bushings for the colum shift. Im pretty sure these vans were built around that linkage.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:48 pm

My two top least things I hate to do on my van ... sandblasting underneath the floor and fighting with 30-40+ years of rust! After that... lots lots of sanding and 1000 bottles of arm lotion!

The crazy thing is... when I see the clean surface, I'm like the Cheshire Cat with a goofy grin!

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Calling AAA in the middle of the desert the day I bought her and was driving her home.
    gotavan
    gotavan

Number of posts : 242

Post by gotavan Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:42 pm

cutting it up in the driveway after the wreck
    what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Crash

Post by Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:29 am

gotavan wrote:cutting it up in the driveway after the wreck
    what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Crash

Crying or Very sad that had to suck big time!!!!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Having to fix the flex fuel line above the tank........

"ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!"

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

what is the least fun thing you have done to your van? Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

Post by Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Can't think of anything. I enjoyed everything I have done so far and I am 80% there now.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 pm

quote from mcfly --- Explaining to my wife why I needed to buy the second one

NEVER ask.... bring it home while she is at work.

King pins have been the worst so far.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

rope seal... bad job... make me angry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 am