VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+55
Vannin Ken
SportVan
chester42
NipRing
Scotts_A100
millwright71
ndjarrett
66 Surf Wagon
Joe Van
Wheelie
Jay 13
Chevboner
Gothboy
sandyvan
dix
the_surfing_guy
southern man
kookykrispy
Space Truckin
vanny
dodge man
thatcherworks
ScottyJones
pan58head
Big W
m1dadio
austinmodhouse
mbasaraba
Lazarusvan
mrclean
LiveWire64
sparky
SDEconoTruck
EconoCarl
Twinpilot001
Nightmoves
BILLS66
sasktrini
Scott
Digz
64chevy
wylee
wacko
RipVanArkie
wideload
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
itruns
savage
BvrWally
Vanish
G-Man
Kakster
VANagain
donivan65
59 posters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by sasktrini Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:06 am

SUH-WEET!!! That's excellent work!
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Empty Re: Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe

Post by wideload Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 am

LOOKS REALLY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Empty Tranny hanger done, gas tank installed

Post by VANagain Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 am

Last weekend the things I tried to install and be done with all had problems that forced me to take them back off. The gas tank went in but came back out, and same with the tranny hanger.

But this weekend everything worked out! I trimmed the tranny hanger here and there so it fit better and the countersunk bolt made room to install the speedometer cable housing. And for some reason this time the hanger came out and went back in without the use of a hammer! Oh, and while the hanger was off, I tightened up the tail shaft and found that the output shaft still was not centered vertically within the rear seal. But I can move the shaft by hand to center it, so I figure when the driveshaft's yoke goes in there, the bushing centers everything up. I'll cross my fingers and hope for no leaks.

Now, back to the gas tank. I thought I was done adapting the Impala sending unit but ran into a couple more things. I was so wrapped up in bending it to fit inside the tank that I neglected to measure the part the sticks outside the tank! This photo shows how I had to trim off the two alignment tabs so I could have the inside parts aimed the right way (pointing forward in the tank). One of these tabs had the ground wire spot welded to it. I cut the wire off the old stock sending unit and drilled a hole in it and screwed it to the new unit.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Sendin15 Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Sendin16

Then when went to mount the tank, it seemed like something was hitting on the top. I measured and determined there is 1.75" of clearance between the floor and the top of the tank. This photo shows how I used some wood to recreate this spacing on the bench and saw that the stainless fuel line need to be bent down some. You can also see how I used a long hose so it can wind its way around to come straight thru the crossmember.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Sendin17

Oh, and I ordered a 3/8" sending unit, not realizing that our vans have the smaller 5/16" fuel lines. I had to really force the rubber hose onto it but it will work. I don't think there's any harm in having a larger size in the sending unit. But it was very difficult to bend. I wish I'd have gotten the smaller size.

The tank went in nicely. I recommend taping the four pads to the tank first because they are about impossible to adjust when the tank is up in there. I put strips of tar paper between the two straps and the tank. The hardest part was hooking up the hoses. No one makes the right diameter hose for the big one so I got the next size up. That went on real easy. But the breather hose was extremely tight going on and there isn't much room to man handle it. I used dish soap to lube the pipes but it took everything I had to get them on as far as I did. I reused the original, old style clamps because they look cool and they cleaned up so nice. And I had put a nice paint job on the filler tube.

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Filler10

Speaking of which, let me know if you could use a nice clean filler tube. I've got two. Both cleaned up pretty nice but I only need one. And I noticed the metal on these is kind of soft. A scraper would take metal off. I'm wondering if there isn't some lead in it. Anybody know? Maybe to reduce the risk of sparks when filling?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 am

Thats some nice work. I maybe lucked out and got the right size hoses at the local Auto Value Store. The 3/8" is good if you ever go to a V8 install and I was wishin' I had an extra filler tube when I did the side gas door thing, ended up doing some surgery(cut and weld) on the old one to get the angles right, so it isnt all bad having an extra around to play with if ya ever think of going that way. Also you made me realize I didnt put any pads back in on the top of the tank,,,lol,, I had nothing there to start with so didnt know any better. Thanks Smile
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Went over to VanAgains place while he was at the place he allegedly calls his work, and undid his tie rod ends and drag link. I see evidence of attempted King Pin removal going on ,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,a pretty transmission mount.........

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Vanaga17

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Vanaga18
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Since I've got the front brakes, brake hoses, backing plates, shocks, and steering knuckles all removed, it seemed like the perfect time to. Check out the kingpins and bushings. I was fortunate enough to get the pins out that hold the kingpins in but when the kingpins didn't just "fall out on my foot" as Don said they should, I didn't think I should mess with them. They have brass bushings so that tells me that they've been replaced. I was afraid to upset the magic pixie dust in this crucial component. I felt the same way about removing the pin in the rear end, but Don showed me how it all worked so I no longer feared the unknown. And I'm sure he's right about these kingpins. Like everything else on these vans, ya gotta know what you got.

Just before dark tonight Don dropped by with a tool that allowed us to press the kingpins out. There was enough rust on them resist but they did come out. And we found that the bottom drivers side had nit been lubed enough. It. Either rusted, worn, or both. Now I just have to decide between brass or plastic bushings.

While I've got these parts off I'm going to sandblast and paint them, of course.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:40 pm

,,,,,you ought to be more afraid of the spiders than the pixie dust,,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:07 am

So while VanAgain was blasting his parts, I was blasting the the big type bushings out of his front springs,,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Vanaga19

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Vanaga20

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Dscn2410

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Vanaga21
    BvrWally
    BvrWally

Number of posts : 946
    Registration date : 2008-05-19

Post by BvrWally Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 am

Now your cheating Don!!! You are suppose to use a BFH!!!! JK Smile
    B.W.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:32 am

These metal cartridges are REALLY in there,,,,,,it was rattling my brain until they started moving out,,,,,,,,

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Repair98

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Repair99
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am

Wow, serious work there! I like your air impact / c-clamp press!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:03 pm

They are 2 of the best things I ever bought at Harbor Freight,,,,,,,,the 1/2" Impact wrench is electric,,,,,quiet and big power,,,,,,and that puller is for ball and u joints and studs,,,,,,it has a bunch of adapters

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Img_0810
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Another important thing to realize about Don's cool tools is that most of them are portable. So he can handle just about any job on the roadside or in a junkyard!

Here's shot of more parts I sandblasted:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Sand_b10

After a bit more painting I can start putting these parts back on! Should go pretty smoothly, compared to the disassembly!
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Vanagain how did the sending unit come out????????? The bidding on the NOS one on e-bay is getting scary.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:20 pm

He is in Minnesota recovering from too much Turkey right now,,,,,,,,
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 am

donivan65 wrote:He is in Minnesota recovering from too much Turkey right now,,,,,,,,

Where in Minnesota? He didn't even come by to visit...had alot of left over turkey for him Wink
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 am

He will be there until Tuesday,,,,,,,I will find out exactly where,,,,,,,but I think Minneapolis,,,,,,,,,he probably would like to see someone other than his RELATIVES
    VANagain
    VANagain

Post by VANagain Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Hey Mo, Nice to meet a fellow Minnesotan! Wish I could drop by to see you but it sounds like you're up north, probably a ways from the Twin Cities.

I have not had a chance to test out my sending unit yet! I poured in 4 or 5 gallons of gas so I could start her up again but the van's not ready to drive to a gas station yet. I wish I would have thought to turn on the ignition to check the guage when I first installed the tank to make sure they guage was on E. It's not too often that you know your tank is bone dry. But I'll be sure to let you all know how my adapted sending unit works as soon as I find out.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by wideload Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks for the update Vanagain. Hope you have a safe trip back home.

mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:21 am

Yea the cities is about 3 1/2 hours away... I'm up in Hibbing... Been a really nice fall/winter up here so far. Hoping for a calm winter so I can get more work done in the garage... Have a safe trip home!!!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:30 am

At least he got there on time,,,,,,,he takes the same route that those pilots forgot to land and had to turn around because they flew past Minneapolis.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Empty Front End going back in

Post by VANagain Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:16 am

I've got some time off work and in between shopping and other holiday distractions, I've been able to get some front end parts put back on. Here's a before and after shot of the leaf springs and axle:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Fronte10

Hey, check out my steering link. Is it supposed to have this subtle bend in it? You can hardly notice it except when viewed straight-on like this:

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Fronte11

I have found some evidence of of some bumps and scrapes under here. One of the U bolts was bent, along with the anti-sway bar mounting bracket. And look at this tie rod end. How long would you say since it was last lubed?!

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Fronte12

Tomorrow I'll put on the steering knuckles with the new king pins!
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 am

looking good...
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:53 am

Sure is looking good... That's how we do it. "One Piece at a time" cheers

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Back to......VANagains NEWest 65 Chevy SportVan Deluxe - Page 5 Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:08 am

WoW What a sano job! Bill

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 pm