VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Mysterious tube on 240

Mysterious tube on 240 Empty Mysterious tube on 240

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 am

In the midst of the installing my new carb on my '65 240, I noticed the PO had plugged a 1/4" steel tube that originated from the exhaust manifold here...
    Mysterious tube on 240 Img_0110

It looked like it was meant to go to the carb or the air filter housing, but I'm not sure since the PO had the wrong carb on there and one of those tiny air filters. I pulled on the tube and it broke off! I poured over the shop manual, but couldn't find that tube in there at all. Can someone shine a light on this mystery tube? I'm hoping it's not really necessary and doesn't even need plugging.

Mysterious tube on 240 Empty Re: Mysterious tube on 240

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 am

I think that is a choke tube. It goes from the exhaust manifold to the automatic choke bringing heat to the choke.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 am

That was the 1st way they used when they put an automatic choke on a carb,,,,,there is a bi metalic spring on the side of a carb that closes the choke butterfly when it is cold,,,,,when the engine starts a vacuum port pulls hot air up through this tube from the exhaust manifold to heat up the spring and gets the choke to open up. There are repair kits to replace this tube if you still have that type of carb,,,,,but its just a plain piece of tubing,,,,,or you can get a carb that has a manual choke or an electric one if you really need a choke to get your van to start when it is cold. If the pipe makes noise from exhaust leaking out, you can put a screw in there

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:08 pm

My carb has a manual choke, I'll plug it if necessary. I have a feeling the tube goes right through the manifold and won't leak exhaust gases.

I also found another tube. It's aluminum, 1/4" and has a compression fitting on the one end. The other end was attached to the top side of the exhaust manifold I think. It has a cloth or fibreglass cloth covering. Any idea's?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 pm

It could be the repair part for a broken tube,,,,,,,it screws into the black plastic choke housing with a ferrule compression fitting. Is there a place for it or sometimes they would just use a big hose clamp to hold it against the exhaust manifold to transfer heat up to the choke,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:23 am