VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10

Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10 Empty Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10

Post by Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:04 am

Ignition switch and key is missing and a 4 wire plug is dangling behind the the control panel .Does anybody know how to hotwire this plug so that I can at least get the engine started . Vehicle needs to be moved over 120miles to my sons shop. Also where can get a matching switching and key that the plug will fit into the plug ....Nope I'm not stealing the van..lol it just required the van it be moved....Thxs for any help....
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10 Empty Re: Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10

Post by Scott Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 am

The wire diagram at the bottom of this page should help..

http://vintage-vans.com/chevy_parts_dept.html

What color wires are going into the 4-wire plug?

Looks like it should be 12g Red, 14g Pink, 24g Brown/White, and 16g Purple.

Red is the Hot Wire coming from the battery.

Pink should be Hot when the key is on, and may be a different color in the doghouse.

Purple should run through some kind of Neutral Safety Switch, but eventually ends up at the starter to turn it over, once the engine is running the power should be cut from this wire.

Brown / White wire runs back to the voltage regulator. Not sure if this needs to be tied in with the live wire or not. Probably, but I wouldnt want to be the one that causes you to fry your wire harness.

I haven't Hotwired anything before, this is just me reading that wire diagram and making somewhat educated guesses. I am in the process of rewiring my 68, so I've had a little experience with the engine harness.
    ViewMaster
    ViewMaster

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2008-05-26

Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10 Empty Re: Hotwireing ignition switch on a 1966 G10

Post by ViewMaster Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Make four 12 gauge wires about 6 inches long of different colors will help and crimp on a male spade on one end and strip the other end about a half inch. With the battery's ground disconnected stick the spade ends in the plug and use electrical tape to help them stay in the plug. Put the Red, Pink, and Brown w/white stripe together with a red wire nut. Jam the Purple wire into the wire nut to start. To turn off remove the red wire nut and put a yellow wire nut on the red wire. Remember when you have the Pink and Red wire together you are sending power to the ignition, so don't leave this on very long or you might burn up the points, etc.
    And no I've never stole a vehicle, maybe borrowed some........
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by savage Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Welcome Graham, I think you can get the Ing sw at Autozone,as I remember there the same for the pickup for that year, also the cyl with keys . If you cant find one let me know, got a few with keys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:21 am