VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Newbie looking for some tips

Newbie looking for some tips Empty Newbie looking for some tips

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:48 am

I've loved the first gen Econolines since I first saw one. Now that I'm 18 I can sort of afford to buy one, and since I'm a college student full time, using it as a daily driver doesn't seem like a horrible idea. I have a few questions though and was wondering if any of you could answer them.

What is the highest speed you would recommend driving one? Assuming they're geared properly, can they keep up with highway traffic at 60-65? How about interstate traffic at 75? I know they'll be blown around a lot, but I drive a 2005 E-350 extended as of right now, so I was wondering how much worse it'd be.
    Do they drive well enough that I could use one as a daily driver without too much concern? Yes, I know, it's a 42 year old box on wheels, but are they terrible to live with?
    I'm sure there are more but I've forgotten them at the moment.

If anyone's curious, I'd like to get a Supervan with as little rust as possible, fix it up for a daily driver, clean up the inside, line it with carpet and throw in a couch and maybe a TV or something, install a roof AC from an RV to keep it cool and run with that for a while. Later on I'd want to swap out the 240 for a mildly built 240 or 300 backed by a 5 speed manual with a column shift. (I know it's been done, and overdrive is just nice to have) Then later on throw some axles from a Bronco under there and convert it to 4x4, giving it disc brakes in the process. Nothing crazy, just the minimum lift to clear the axles. Oh, and add steel to the frame to stiffen it up a bit. Is it a lot to do? Yes. But it'd keep me busy for one hell of a long time. Very Happy

Newbie looking for some tips Empty Re: Newbie looking for some tips

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:15 pm

If you get one with a 240 it will easily handle driving at freeway speeds. You can build a 240 to get 350 HP. Never seen a 5 speed manual on the column in one of these vans. Raising a supervan (ass hanger) like you mentioned in my opinion would look ridiculous. a shorty would be more ideal for that.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:32 pm

The idea would be to take a 5 speed manual with overdrive from an F-150 that had the 300 and mounting it to the back of the 240 or 300 or whatever's in there. The shift linkage would be the real hard thing of it all, but I remember reading a couple years back about a guy who chose a column shift 5 speed. Doesn't really matter how it shifts to me, and in all honesty a 4 speed automatic would work just as well, I just want overdrive so I'm not pulling 3000 rpms at 65.

As to raising the van... It would be in the pipeline for much later on, but an idea to look at. Probably unnecessary if I could put a limited slip out back, but just an idea to look at for the future. I'd really prefer the supervan, though, because the shorty is a bit too short in the back to me.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:01 pm

I am an Econo freak but I would recommend a Dodge A108 if you want a supervan. The 108 doesn't have the ass end hanging out like the Econo plus they come with either the bullet proof slant six or a 318 with auto and would look a lot better as a 4x4 than the Econo.. The Econo supervan is probably the cheapest though since most people won't buy them due to the ass end hanging out. One of Fords mistakes. Also putting any auto in an Econo requires that you have a short made for Econo tail housing or a lot of costly mods. I put a C5 in my 66 and it worked great with the 419 HP motor. Had to use the short tail housing from an Econo C4 to make it work right though. Even then I had to shorten the drive shaft to about 12"

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:56 pm

I don't really mind the ass end hanging out, I actually like it....

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:10 pm

what do you need the 4x4 for? if its just for the fun of having it or some light wheeling you should be fine but that ass end could be troublesome with any climbing and stuff. also if you insist on that god awful super van please get rid of those ugly tail lights and put the ones from the normal van on.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Well sounds like you have your mind set so good luck and hope you have lots of money and expertise. You will need both. The Econo weighs around 3000 pounds so if you live in an area that gets a lot of wind you will get blown around especially if you raise it. A friend of mine has one that he refuses to drive anymore because the Santa Ana winds here blow it all over the freeway. It has been sitting in his driveway for 5 years with a brand new 240 in it, no rust at all. It also has new front disc brakes. He might be willing to sell it.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:39 pm

HotrodSmurf wrote:what do you need the 4x4 for? if its just for the fun of having it or some light wheeling you should be fine but that ass end could be troublesome with any climbing and stuff. also if you insist on that god awful super van please get rid of those ugly tail lights and put the ones from the normal van on.

God awful !!!!!!!!!!! you got that right. I wouldn't own one if it was given to me. Pull all the good parts and junk the rest. Their resale value is terrible. Most people I know that are into Econos shudder when they have to look at one. Ford should have made them with a 108" wheelbase like the Dodge 108. I saw one once with an exaggerated California rake and it looked so ridiculous I didn't know if I should vomit or laugh my ass off. Talk about looking like a stink bug.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:46 pm

You guy's are being a little hard on the Supervans. Would it be my first chioce no, but its still a early

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:02 pm

yes I agree it is still an early, and still a major mistake for Ford. Sorry but that ass hanger is in my opinion the ugliest thing I have ever seen put out by Ford. To me it has no redeeming qualities. I did see one where the owner moved the rear end back 18 inches and it actually looked good but took way to much time and effort to build.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:03 pm

heres how to mod a supervan in no time!!!!!Newbie looking for some tips 15810
    Twisted Evil actually they are all very cool, especially when compared to your average hyundai sonata...

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:38 pm

anything is cool compared to a Sonata
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Man tough crowd on the Super's. I drove one for many years and still own 2 others. If you plan on sleeping in it they cant be beat compared to the typical shorty. Yes I prefer the exterior looks of the short van but the extra room inside is so nice to have. Try stretching out in a short van and you hit the doors or the engine box but not in a supervan. Plus theres more room for all your gear and if you build a bed it can be 18 inches longer and not block the side doors. It all depends on what you want. The nicest travel wagon I ve ever seen was Hopcraft's 67 Supervan. Fugly or not,I like em. I always considering altering the tail lights though. I know a guy who shortened a supervan and left the rectangular tail lights,it really messes with peope.
    Hangtime
    Hangtime

Number of posts : 64
    Registration date : 2008-09-11

Post by Hangtime Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:15 pm

Damn!! it looks like Amos does his BBQ a little on the overcooked side. Great timing on that photo. As for the supervan or any car build project, there is no right or wrong. If you like it, build it.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:35 pm

i agree with vanishingbreed, they shoulda stretched the wheelbase. although i'd rather have a super van than ANY newer car.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Four wheel drive would be for shits and giggles much later on... Years later. It would be used for light trails and snow and I'd raise it as little as possible.

I actually like the ass hanger, just because I don't like how the shorty has NO rear overhang and all that front overhang. I think the supervan balances it out a little. Then again, to each his own.

Mike, if your friend was considering selling his, how much do you think he would want for it?

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:59 pm

I can ask him for you. He hates it mainly because he lives in the desert and the winds blow everyday and he has a hard time steering it on the freeway. He gets blown all over the place when winds are just 45 MPH and when they reach 90 he can't drive it at all. I'll try to find out this week for you. It is primered right now and needs an interior but has new motor, new disc brakes and everything on the front end is new as well as all shocks. As far as I know no rust either and all new rubber around the doors.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Please do, I'd be more than happy to take a flight to the west coast, visit some relatives, then make a long and torturous roadtrip back home with a homely box on wheels. Very Happy

Winds here never reach 90 (unless we've got a tornado, in which case I don't really want to be driving...) and on the worst days they gust to about 40 mph so it shouldn't be near as bad here. Primer is good, makes it easier to fix any little problems without worrying about destroying some nice paint and I could borrow a friend's paint gun and paint it myself for cheap, and the interior isn't a big deal either since I just wanted to clean out the inside, line it with carpet and add a couch and a TV to it all. Cool

Post by Guest Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Okay, I've found a van! It's a 66 Supervan from Tennessee with very little rust that's extremely clean underneath, a pale blue on the outside, unfinished on the inside, with a 300 and a 3 on the tree and a lot of new parts. $2000 is well within my budget and the roadtrip would be either fun or suicidal, haven't decided yet. Very Happy
    Trouble is, the side panel doors are dented in (from what I don't know) and the rear doors seem to have started to rot out at the bottom. That and the driver's seat would need to be replaced. Otherwise, it's ready to go. How much would junkyard Econo panel doors be (passenger side and rear) and how much would a new seat be?
    61econoline
    61econoline

Number of posts : 655
    Registration date : 2009-04-16

Post by 61econoline Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 am

I have seen doors on ebay for 50.00 on up I just put nice Miata seats in my pick up for 50.00 had to fab some brackets but not a big deal
    southern man
    southern man

Number of posts : 486
    Registration date : 2008-05-21

Post by southern man Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:06 am

I have two good doors with windows for sale, but getting them to Nebraska without breaking the bank is the trick.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:41 pm

I got some more pictures in today... Underneath, it's pretty much spotless. Up top, not so much. the left rear corner of the gutter is a bit rotten and there's a bit of body cancer all around the rim of the gutter on the roof. They said they'd be willing to talk down from their $2,000 asking price. What say ye, Vanners? Worth it or not? Van in question is a 66 Supervan, 300 I6, 3 speed manual, a few new parts, empty interior but everything is there, needs side and rear doors and front windshield trim and the gutter rust problem.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 am

not worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 9:40 am