VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
mo_1040
savage
VANagain
7 posters

Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber

VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber Empty Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber

Post by VANagain Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 pm

I finally installed the rubber weatherstripping from a Chevy S-10 door on a 1st Gen doghouse. That stuff snaps on so easily! We loosened up the hinges in the back and raised the lid to make room for the extra rubber. But when we went to close the lid, the front of the lid didn't quite meet the rubber up front. Take a look:

Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber Doghou10 Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber Doghou11

As you can see in the front shot, the lid is a little off center, I have to pull it towards the driver's side to line it up with the latch. And the rear right corner seems to hang off the back a little too far, but I don't see any adjustment for forward and back with thise hinges. We ended up tucking in the rubber up front by hand before latching it, hoping to "train" the rubber to fold back a bit. I though maybe the front of the doghouse was bent outward but it seemed straight and actually quite sturdy.

Has anyone else used the S-10 rubber on their doghouse? Got any advice?
    savage
    savage

Number of posts : 2626
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber Empty Re: Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber

Post by savage Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:08 am

I got it on my 64, works great. A real tight fit on lid, A little hard to latch. Mine had some damage to the back where I had to weld it back together. I did have to adj the hing all the way up. And the 64 got 2 latches??? You might have to trim it around higes??
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:58 am

I used s-10 seal also and pretty much looks the same as yours...the back and the sides fit really well but have to tuck the seal a little bit on the front.
    I'll eventually order the right seal but for now I can put up with the s-10 seal....
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/g-van-general-discussion-f4/restoration-specialties-t5108.htm
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:31 am

Guy's if your not happy will the s-10 gasket, restoration Speailties has just redesigned there doghouse seal to the factory correct grooves. He used a piece that I sent him to do it correct. They came out nice.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:27 am

Try the green van's cover on the blue van and see if that is the problem. Something is misaligned or bent,,,,,,,
    sparky

Number of posts : 195
    Registration date : 2010-01-05

Post by sparky Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:53 am

mo_1040 wrote:I used s-10 seal also and pretty much looks the same as yours...the back and the sides fit really well but have to tuck the seal a little bit on the front.
    I'll eventually order the right seal but for now I can put up with the s-10 seal....
    https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/g-van-general-discussion-f4/restoration-specialties-t5108.htm
    So is the S-10 seal an over the counter part somewhere? I need to get one till I can get the right one from Dave At Restospecialties
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I am sure you can get them from a Chevy Dealer,,,,,,it just depends how much you want to spend,,,,,,I just like the $3 price at Pick a Part,,,, and any S-10 or S-10 Blazer will work,,,,like from the 1980's,,,,,,the deal is to find a good one,,,,,,,passenger side ones seem in better condition,,,,,,and you hook it to the bottom part of your doghouse and remove all the old gssket,,,,,,,
    richie61
    richie61

Number of posts : 445
    Registration date : 2010-01-04

Post by richie61 Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I just did my doghouse with S-10. As Don said passenger side rubber is the best. It snaps right in and was about $5 instead of $2 per foot for new stuff.
    sparky

Doghouse seal - Using S-10 rubber Empty Have Any Advil?

Post by sparky Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

donivan65 wrote:I am sure you can get them from a Chevy Dealer,,,,,,it just depends how much you want to spend,,,,,,I just like the $3 price at Pick a Part,,,, and any S-10 or S-10 Blazer will work,,,,like from the 1980's,,,,,,the deal is to find a good one,,,,,,,passenger side ones seem in better condition,,,,,,and you hook it to the bottom part of your doghouse and remove all the old gssket,,,,,,,
    RIGHT ON!! Thanks guys, maybe now I will not have to worry about fume-induced headaches anymore!!
    sparky

Post by sparky Tue May 04, 2010 2:33 pm

So I go to the local Wrecking yard, walk in and go find an old s-10 blazer and open the passenger door and RIGHT ON !! good seal, pull the damn thing out and carry it up to the guy at the counter and he says "40 bucks".....I chuckle and say your kidding right? he says, "You have any idea how much those things are new" I told him yeah..35.99 and you want 40 for a used worn out one? are you serious..40 bucks? he still says "Yep" , I said,well thanx anyway, He then told me to put it back on exactly how i found it... I told him OK, I will get right on it, I left it right there and walked out..........40 bucks....sheesh
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 04, 2010 2:46 pm

WOW. Remind me never to go to that yard. I can't believe he said it with a straight face. I got mine at Ecology on half price day but normally they are around $10.00 on there price wall I think. I would of put it back right up his #@$@$ If that's your only option the new stuff from Restoration sounds like a plan.
    sparky

Post by sparky Tue May 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Yeah...and I have been going there for probably 20 years, I should have spoke with the boss who knows me
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

So you probably did not go to a Pick a Part,,,,but you had a plan and stuck to it,,,,,,,
    sparky

Post by sparky Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 am

I just found and installed the S-10 door seal to my doghouse, snapped right in!! then loosened the hinges to raise the lid like Vanagain had mentioned but found no adjustment there, hey VANagain Did you have to file notches in the hinge's bolt holes to get the adjustment there? mine is a 66 and when I snap the latch down.....the hook on the lid looks like its gonna rip right off the lid there.
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 11, 2010 11:27 am

Is your top bent or warped? It should work. Mine is a little tight when closed, I have to press down on the lid to get the latch to close.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 pm

So where is the problem,,,,,the front with the latch or the rear with the hinges? That latch has some adjustment for tightness and I would knock out the pins in the hinges, loosen up or remove the bolts in the bottom section, and do what you got to do to the holes to make the pin go back in and a tight fit on the gasket,,,,,,,
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 pm

All the way from Chicago Don...your suppose to be on vacation?? Hope that sausage sandwich tastes as good as it looked???
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue May 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Next is Italian beef sandwiches,,,,,,,but here I am, broadcasting from a driveway in Chicago, sitting in my motorhome,,,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I really need to get a seal.............gettin tired of the blow torch on my right leg.
    richie61
    richie61

Post by richie61 Tue May 11, 2010 8:57 pm

I like those as well. Is the Saturday night live place still open....no pepsi, coke...chips.....cheeseburger..cheeseburger..cheeseburger??
    sparky

Post by sparky Tue May 11, 2010 9:53 pm

the latch just pulls the lid down so far and tight that the hook for the latch on the front of the lid looks as if its gonna get torn off the lid because its soooo tight
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 am

Then if loosening up the bolts does not let the latch slide up enough to let the pressure off the hook, you need to take the bolts out and drill new holes or slot them upward. I doubt that any 2 doghouse lids were ever made exactly the same and when they flipped completely open, they surely get warped.
    sparky

Post by sparky Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm

gonna slot the hinge's bolt holes asap!! as soon as i get this carb thing handled, Thanx!!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 am

quick questions for anyone who's done this on a 2nd gen:

A: what did you do on the passenger side for the bar slider?

B: anyone else have troubles clearing the radiator on the passenger side?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:22 am