VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

New to the site

New to the site Empty New to the site

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 pm

Hello Vanners. I'm a noob at this site. Been poking around a bit today, and it seems my van may be too new for this site as well, (at least from what I've seen so far). You guys have some cool vans here, and I am thoroughly enjoying the pics!!

Anyway, onto why I joined. I have a 1985 G series van, that I acquired ~9 years ago. It was sitting all that time, with a split 305 block from the crank to the head, wide enough to see into the water jackets, and a broken camshaft. I traded a buddy of mine an Olds 401 engine, for a 350, 4 bolt main, so I'd have a core for my Jasper engine. Long story short, I finally have a running and inspected van, with a 350, 4 bolt main, Edelbrock carb, headers, Dual 3" exhaust all the way back, with Magnaflow mufflers. This part of it is the good stuff.

The bad: Weather took its toll over the years, and I need the outer seal around the windshield. Seems it shrunk, and it looks like the windshield got sick, and threw it up, so it's dangling in a few spots. All of the weatherstripping needs replaced, and a plethora of minor parts need to be acquired for me to get to where I'll be fully happy with the van.

So did I come to the right spot, and if not, can anyone point me in the right direction? I know they made this body for ~10 years, and I have a few yards to go check out, but none of them are local. My local yards all jumped on the government band wagon, to destroy anything older than 10 years, or took the money from developers with fat wallets, and closed up.

Googling for parts doesn't seem to do much good either. It usually puts me on sites that carry mostly Fast & Furious crap, or they only list a handful of parts, (none of which I need). Thankfully, a guy from this site put a 22R Toyota engine in his van, and joined our RWD Celica forum. That's how I landed here. Hopefully someone has some good news for me. Looking forward to hearing back from y'all, but I'm also aware of the event going on this weekend in PA. It's a little over an hour away from me, and of course I am busy this weekend, so it's a slim chance I will make it this year. :-(

New to the site Empty Re: New to the site

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 pm

New to the site TheShagginWagon176-1-1

New to the site TheShagginWagon184

New to the site TheShagginWagon181

New to the site TheShagginWagon178
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:11 pm

You have a third gen Chevy van they made that style the longest 71-95 I believe. Most parts you need should be easily got at your GM dealer.
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Welcome!!! Well any auto glass shop should be able to get that seal. If it's not a grommet type seal and the windshield is glued in...then its a molding piece that is usually put in place when the windshield was installed. When ever I had a windshield put in, that strip was taped in place and had to remove the tape a few days later. I'd go to a auto glass shop and see what they say...
    Nice van by the way... I'd love to find one in that nice of shape!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks mo_1040. I had considered hitting the local glass shop, to see what they say, but I also am having problems locating other parts, such as the AC hose that comes from the R/D (accumulator), to the back of the compressor, and then to the condenser. The condenser is brand new. Sadly, it had a full charge of R-12 in it when I towed it home in 2000, but that hose rotted out at the condenser, and I lost it all. If I can replace the hose and R/D, I will recharge it with MacFreeze, or another R-12 compatible refrigerant.

I need a switch for the parking brake, because the light has been stuck on since I hit the parking brake, and I don't see anything visibly wrong with it.

The list goes on and on. Ashtray door was broken out, and needs replaced. Coolant reservoir cap is missing. Lots of stupid stuff like that, and there are accessories I'd like to have, such as an external spare tire holder and a ladder to the roof. I'm only 5', 6". I had to use scaffolding to get up to sand the peeling clear coat from the roof.

I got the van for free, from a previous job. They blew it up, and I wanted to save it from the junkyard. Thankfully, it only cost me the title transfer, and towing a few miles to get it.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 pm

G-Man, Thanks for that info. I was told it's only 85 to 96 for that van, but I will try to do more research on it. Dealer has discontinued some of the parts I need as well, and doesn't have them anymore. :-(
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:52 pm

85 , here a example of the parts range you have with your van. Really you are lucky finding parts will not be as hard for you as it is for us
    http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/1262091181.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/pts/1260929704.html

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:03 pm

I see. So they are the same chassis, and basic body. Grills, taillights, headlamp configurations, and glass configurations varied, but overall, they are the same.

Thanks G-Man!
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:26 pm

I have a 77 GMC van that I have sitting next my garage that I bought just for the motor and tranny. Body is shot but I can check it out...so if you can make a detailed list of things you need I can look to see what I have. Right now I'm just using the van to throw all my metal in and waiting for scrap metal prices to go up and then off it goes.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

I typed out a list to take to the yards with me. Don't get mad. I'm not screaming at ya. I typed it in caps on purpose. :-)

WASHER SOLVENT TANK AND PUMP
    COOLANT RESERVOIR CAP

BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FOR PARKING BRAKE
    TRANSMISSION TORQUE CONVERTER COVER - 700R4
    POWER LOCK AND WINDOW WIRING & SWITCHES
    BATTERY TRAY
    HORNS
    REAR STABILIZER BAR?
    RUST FREE SLIDER DOOR
    ASHTRAY DOOR
    ASHTRAY

RESISTER PACK FOR HEAT/AC BLOWER MOTOR

If you have any goodies you want to offload that I haven't mentioned yet, feel free to post pics & prices. ;-)

Last edited by 85Chevy-G-Vanner on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 am

Hey G-Man, I am talking with the guy from the Craigslist link you posted with the door. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I may be working out a deal on that door and meeting up with him to get it, as he will be hitting up Carlisle, PA soon. cheers

Gonna try to hit the van nats this weekend as well, even if it's just to stop by and meet up with Leadfoot Vanner, and some of the other guys for a bit, and then head home. Already have a full plate this weekend.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 am

I'm heading to the EZ-Pull in New Ringgold, to see what I can turn up, and then the Van National's Camp Grounds, which is roughly 1/2 hour from the yard.

Wish me luck!

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Well, I made out pretty well at the yard today. I also drove to the camp grounds afterward, and met Leadfoot & some other very cool people. I really wish I could have stayed!! My van looks like a real pile compared to what was running around the camp grounds, but it was inspiring to see all those beautiful pieces of artwork on wheels, rolling past.

I have lots of reading material now, and I think I found a new home on this forum. Looking forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully I'll be able to make some of the meets and Nationals in the future!

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:56 pm

Long day, but I accomplished quite a bit:
    Installed the ball for the hitch
    Swapped the washer solvent tank
    Swapped the washer pump motor bracket
    Installed the missing coolant reservoir cap
    Swapped the passenger door mirror, (just in time, so it seems, as the mirror glass came right out).
    Sprayed the ashtray door with Duplicolor®️, and replaced it. Mine was missing.
    Replaced the rusted ash tray with a clean/never used one.
    swapped a wooden cup holder from the yarded center console over to mine, (after a cleaning, scuffing, light sand and re-stain).
    Removed the bad horns. No replacements yet.
    Swapped the chrome door handle on the passenger door.
    Swapped the chrome window latches.
    Installed the rear door hinge straps.
    Installed the missing fiber optic clip for the ashtray lighting as well.
    Probably did a handful of other little stuff as. She's coming along, but it looks like a few more yard trips are definitely in order.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:46 pm

You can probably get a lot of help at vannin.com. Lots of folks there with a lot of knowledge about your van.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks vanishingbreed. I have seen that site, and will become a member.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:56 am