VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

steering front

wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 920
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

steering front Empty steering front

Post by wylee Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:44 am

hey gang, is the manual steering box the same for the 108 as for the a100. is the an aftermarket one? will one from a dodge pickup work? thanks.
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 749
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

steering front Empty Re: steering front

Post by kiwimopar Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:13 pm

Not sure, and No.

Pickup steering box will not work....without serious modification. The A108 might be the same, but I cannot be 100% certain.
    I do however know that the only steering box that fits our vehicles without any trouble is the OE model.
    Orientation of the input shaft, output shaft and physical mounting is all a big can of worms.

I tried to get a Vega box to fit - and that to me is the closest - but still requires a ton of work to make it fit. Also I had to special order the Vega box with reverse action to make it do everything it should. By the time I had it landed here and all the money spent, I had been convinced to forget about that - all the extra hoses and pump required....takes up too much real estate under the hood (engine cover) and electric is the way I am heading now.

Still not got the electric sorted, but at least I have the parts to convert now. That in itself took a ton of research and scouring parts yards.

wylee likes this post

Number of posts : 444
    Registration date : 2016-10-18

Post by 69 Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:07 pm

At least the parts book doesn't show any difference between A100 and A108 (including the A100 Pickup). Makes sense to me, as the fronend is exactly the same...

I think, Kiwi meant the D pickups when he referenced "pickup doesn't fit".

dix, wylee and gary h like this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 749
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:52 pm

69 wrote:At least the parts book doesn't show any difference between A100 and A108 (including the A100 Pickup). Makes sense to me, as the fronend is exactly the same...

I think, Kiwi meant the D pickups when he referenced "pickup doesn't fit".

Yes....D series pickups is what I meant - thanks @69

Totally different shape of steering gearbox.

dix likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:49 am