VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

What have you guys done/used for an AC unit?

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2015-05-08

What have you guys done/used for an AC unit? Empty What have you guys done/used for an AC unit?

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:31 am

I'm curious as to what some of you guys did, or have, for AC in a first gen?
    I was at SEMA this year and was looking for units that might fit, REASONABLY WELL, under the dash but, after talking with a few of the AC authorities, I think I may graft an AC unit behind the dog house and then vent it appropriately, forward and reverse. I can mount the controls on the dash as well.
    I'm open for ideas and suggestions. I'm thinking initially, this would be the easiest unless you know of a good small unit that fits well under the dash, and can take care of the rest of the van.
    Sidenote* I helped a buddy fab one under the seats of a '36 Chevy truck a while back. Worked fine.

Thanks again!
    Chaz
    redvango
    redvango

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2015-06-27

What have you guys done/used for an AC unit? Empty ac

Post by redvango Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:09 pm

Think about a small heat pump mounted just behind the seats facing down and the unit main mounted under the side doors? That's were I put a small honda radiator with electric fan for extra cooling for the engine!!

Skulptorchaz likes this post

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

What have you guys done/used for an AC unit? Empty Re: What have you guys done/used for an AC unit?

Post by Skulptorchaz Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:16 pm

I'm perplexed buddy. I've built a LOT of things in my day but this isn't my forte'. It sounds "outta the box" which I love but I'm not sure how it works.
    Can ya hum me a bar or two? Very Happy lol
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

La La La La hey hey hey good by!! pretty good !!!!!! Oh come on.... you know how dark it is inside the box? A house heat pump I saw on a camper their was the out side unit a heat on the back of it Heat pumps are low 120 ac power just need an inverter 12 volt dc to 110 ac. I have one for this old house I made the attic into a master bedroom (view of the Islands) and in the summer It would get HOT!!! and on the south side (sun all day) i put 34 solar panels with two ac coolers in the summer but just got to be a hassle so i had a guy help me put one in! their 120 AC but they don't draw vary much amps 5 maybe ?  Just check It out? It would be COOL!! who knows??? I live between Seattle and Vancouver BC! The GREAT North West With my moon roofs open an the windows on the back doors I'm all good! it's the engine heat!!!

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

What have you guys done/used for an AC unit? Empty Re: What have you guys done/used for an AC unit?

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:14 am

I will hit up a friend of mine that does all my HVAC. He will have what I would need and the knowledge to figure it out. This is very interesting..........
    Thanks!
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 am

heck i hope it works I'll do it to mine I think the bigger problem will mounting the inside unit in side the van? Not knowing what your in side looks like? mine I put stein wool on the side's and 5 mm wood on the roof (thin to bow the contour) and black carpet on roof with contact cement and did then the whole floor too and around the engine dog house and wheel wells! it was hard to get the shape right but I went slow and took the time I'll put some pics of it on

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:09 am

No interior in mine, sans the noise deadening, mylar bubble insulation - the first of the insulations - and an electric jack knife couch. It's still a blank slate. I want to get the body straighened out and HOPEFULLY a vista cruiser station wagon roof on before I do the interior.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:22 pm

Wow Shocked  the vista cruiser would be a nice touch!! my Brother is a car hoarder and two years ago he bought one for his wife so she would have a car to show of her own to show at some gatherings! He bought it a an car auction back east? My dad was a car sales man and i remember going to the car lot and got to sit in one and olds had the one the front seats swiveled! Have you got the vista!

Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:03 am

Nope, still trying to find one in the weeds or woods. In any shape, they command big bucks now.
    redvango
    redvango

Post by redvango Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:13 pm

I'll sneak over to my brothers! they won't notice the top gone for months (LOL)
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:14 am

We extensively discussed the idea of 110 volt stuff awhile back in this thread:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t53794-air-conditioning-idea-could-it-work?highlight=Air+Conditioning+will+it+work

I found and posted a fair amount of electrical conversion references in that thread....

I actually installed two alternators and two batteries in anticipation of running a 110 A/C from an inverter......My second battery and alternator can be isolated from the house electrical system....
    I figured that an onboard 110 A/C can be plugged into shore power while sitting still....
    My serpentine system also has a GM R4 compressor so I can also have dash air...
    Skulptorchaz
    Skulptorchaz

Post by Skulptorchaz Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:07 pm

I remember that Don. I was just curious if anything new had been figured out by anyone.
    I DEFINITELY appreciate all your info and experimentation, etc.!!!!!!!!
    At the ime, as you know, I was thinking 110 AC and converting but, I am now contemplating going 12V. and going the other way. I definitely like living "outta the box" and trying to find different/possibly better solutions. Discussing the ideas with fellow "creatives" such as you and others, is not only fun (in my book anyway) but, truly the best way to do it.
    HUGE appreciation to you my friend!
    Chaz
    kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:21 pm

I'm one of the Dodge boys.....I used a Vintage Air kit in my A100.

Works really well.....mostly for keeping the interior heat down from the angry 408 underhood.....lol

Skulptorchaz and raidmagic like this post

DanInWNY
    DanInWNY

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2020-07-23

Post by DanInWNY Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 pm

I always thought a smaller RV rooftop unit would work well.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:27 pm

I've never found/seen a RV rooftop A/C that wasn't Jye Normus!...

kiwimopar likes this post

kiwimopar
    kiwimopar

Number of posts : 744
    Registration date : 2010-01-23

Post by kiwimopar Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:50 pm

AzDon wrote:I've never found/seen a RV rooftop A/C that wasn't Jye Normus!...

Yep...like another doghouse on the roof....lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:03 pm