VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Keith D
Arnolt
6 posters

Death Wobble

Arnolt
    Arnolt

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2018-11-27

Death Wobble Empty Death Wobble

Post by Arnolt Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:30 pm

My A108 has an intermittent violent shake that occurs at some magic combination of speed and road surface. It only happens above 45 MPH and doesn't matter if the van's loaded or empty. It clears when I slow back down below 45. I've replaced the shocks, front wheel bearings, and spring bushings but still have the problem. The tie rod ends look good but those are next on my list to replace. Given that a new drag link is so expensive is there a way to verify if it's worn before I take it off the van? Any ideas of what else could cause this type of resonant shake? - Thanks
    Keith D
    Keith D

Number of posts : 405
    Registration date : 2016-11-25

Death Wobble Empty Re: Death Wobble

Post by Keith D Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:19 pm

Arnolt wrote:My A108 has an intermittent violent shake that occurs at some magic combination of speed and road surface. It only happens above 45 MPH and doesn't matter if the van's loaded or empty. It clears when I slow back down below 45. I've replaced the shocks, front wheel bearings, and spring bushings but still have the problem. The tie rod ends look good but those are next on my list to replace. Given that a new drag link is so expensive is there a way to verify if it's worn before I take it off the van? Any ideas of what else could cause this type of resonant shake? - Thanks

What exactly is shaking? Is the steering wheel vibrating back and forth, is it coming from the front suspension, from the rear (driveline), is the motor shaking, automatic or manual transmission, if you speed up faster when it starts does it get worse or better?

Check wheel alignment, king pins wore out, wheels balanced, tires have a weird wear pattern or flat spot.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:39 pm

1st thing, rock the steering wheel back and forth with 2 fingers, if it moves about a 1/2 inch or more, have someone look and see if pitman arm is moving while you rock it, if its not,  then problem is in steering box, you might be able to adjust it,,,,if pitman arm moves, then look at both ball joints on drag link, see if any of those move,,,,then check each tie rod ball joint, you are looking for looseness, you can try rocking the steering wheel harder but not hard enough to make tires turn and see if anything moves from the steering box all the way down to each steering knuckle. Another test, jack up each tire and push and pull it in and out, up and down and left and right to see if there is any looseness in wheel bearings, kingpins and all that steering linkage.

sweetvan likes this post

Arnolt
    Arnolt

Number of posts : 10
    Registration date : 2018-11-27

Post by Arnolt Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:40 am

It feels like the suspension is hitting a resonance that goes away when I reduce speed. The whole van starts rotating about it's long (front to rear) axis. It first happened when I had a very heavy load in it but now it happens even when unloaded. It seem ok on an even road but if I hit bumps it sometimes will go into that bad rocking mode until I slow down. I haven't tried to speed up to see what happens. I'm also able to steer the van ok while it's doing it.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:12 am

You got nothing to lose by switching tires front to back, you just might notice something out of place.
    AzDon
    AzDon

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:42 pm

Your last post suggests that it isn't an issue if the road is smooth....It also suggests that the van rolls side to side rather than just having a severe tire shake.....
    If I have that right, I believe what you are experiencing is called "bump steer"....
    Other symptoms of bump steer include the steering wheel shuffling left and right over uneven road surfaces at 25-35 mph.....
    Assuming you have already taken the suggestions from the other replies and made sure everything is tight and without steering slop, I have a couple of easy ways to diagnose bump steer:
    1) Bounce the van up and down by jumping on the center of the front bumper.... Does the steering wheel turn left and right?.... That would be bump steer!
    To further verify
    2) Take note of the steering wheel position, even marking the hub2collar with a sharpie... next, jack the chassis squarely up in the front until the wheels almost lose contact with the ground.....Now, If the steering wheel is still in the same orientation.... no bump steer.....

If You've just got severe shaking or even a hopping wheel, it could be a tire coming apart, a bent rim, bad balance, or out of round wheel.... Usually you can isolate and verify by switching front wheels to see if a bounce or pull switches sides....

You will need to very carefully assess what is actually happening to get more specific advice!

sweetvan likes this post

hometeam
    hometeam

Number of posts : 101
    Registration date : 2013-01-21

Post by hometeam Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:36 pm

be sure to check your u joint - at high speed it could start to wobble
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm

im digging up some old history
    but in 1974 my brother and i had the problem on a
    1967 chevy van, we changed the king pins and
    i dont recall ever having the problem again.

Number of posts : 742
    Registration date : 2014-01-20

Post by AzDon Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:11 am

Another issue that hasn't come up in this thread is caster....
    Does the van naturally go effortlessly straight if you let go of the wheel at 25 mph or do you have to fight to get to and stay centered and going straight......If it wants to go everywhere but straight, you likely don't have enough positive caster....
    Others have suggested stuff that might be loose ( kingpins, steering ball ends, steering box adjustment) which should all be taken care of first.... also front wheel bearing condition and adjustment.....
    Next would be wheel and tire condition and balance....
    Then things like caster and bump steer
    Good Luck!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:39 am