VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

64 Chevy Transmission Pull

wishbone
    wishbone

Number of posts : 18
    Registration date : 2022-04-18

64 Chevy Transmission Pull Empty 64 Chevy Transmission Pull

Post by wishbone Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:51 pm

Hello,

I'm a first timer here looking for advice.

I owned a 68 Chevy in the 1970's and got bit by the van bug again in my senior years. I have a 64 Chevy that needs a complete overhaul, in and out, top to bottom.

I figure the first thing to do is the drivetrain. It has a 250 from a 73-79 Chev/Olds/Pontiac. I don't know about the transmission because I can't find any listings for the numbers I have.

Anyway, in all the drivetrains I remember working on, I've never seen this rear trans mount... the way it's held from above, by a donut sandwiched inside the frame. I found a discussion from June 2015 and ya'll discussed making a crossmember for transmissions without this donut. My question is how does the trans pull out with that thing in there?

I hope I don't have to drop the drivetrain and slide it out from under. The van is not raised that high. I was hoping to disconnect the trans from the bell housing then pull the motor up and through the side doors and drag the trans out from under. Sure would be easier since the motor sits on the mounts.

Should maybe the drivetrain drop, then pull the trans, then pull the motor up through the side doors?

I know you folks have all the experience.

I believe at the end of this the tail shaft will be replaced and a cross member added, to make it easier for next time... in case there is a next time.

Any advice will be helpful and appreciated!

Thanks,
    wishbone
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12230
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

64 Chevy Transmission Pull Empty Re: 64 Chevy Transmission Pull

Post by donivan65 Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:32 pm

Once you remove the linkage, speedo cable, drive shaft  and 4 bolts, you remove that trans hanger bolt and just twist the trans until the mount clears the channel then slide the trans back until it comes out of the bell housing....You might have to loosen the motor mounts and exhaust to let the trans drop down a little for the mount to clear the channel...

savage likes this post

wishbone
    wishbone

Post by wishbone Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:25 am

Thanks for the reply, donivan65.

I started to think about that, but it didn't appear the support piece inside the frame could be cleared. However, I didn't think about loosening the motor to move it around.

I think it will be a long and bumpy road, getting this van on the road. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

I promise to always search for answers in the discussions before taking up valuable time.

Wonderful to be here! Thanks Again!

wishbone.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:28 pm

Ask away, thats why we come here,,,,to get away from the World,,,,,here is some bushing stuff,,,,the trans mount and leaf springs have metal cartridges and the hangers have bushings so we have to find or  make stuff work....

I got a picture of them if,,, pictures posting starts working again....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:47 am

64 Chevy Transmission Pull Dscn0227

wishbone likes this post

wishbone
    wishbone

Post by wishbone Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:12 pm

That's interesting.

Speaking of bolts... does anyone still make new bolts for the 250? I was searching for new bolts for like, the head, pumps, crank/cam pretty much everything.

I see GM only goes back to 1984. Do you know if they're interchangeable?
    gfleduc
    gfleduc

Number of posts : 371
    Registration date : 2015-09-19

Post by gfleduc Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:11 pm

For the transmission mount you may want to take a gamble on these working; they are listed for 2nd gen vans:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224562609213?hash=item3448f97c3d:g:5v4AAOSwqBBhDYaq
    wishbone
    wishbone

Post by wishbone Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:11 am

Thanks for the advice, but I got lucky on the mount. The previous owner had installed this drivetrain about 30 years ago, so it still looks pretty good.

I see Summit Racing has grade 8 bolts in assorted packs. I may give them a try for the engine bolts.

In our little town there's a limited supply of parts. I'd need to drive into San Antonio or Austin to buy parts direct. It's easier to order from the Internet.

Thanks Again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 8:55 pm