VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

A100 Window Gasket Supplier ?

A100 Window Gasket Supplier ? Empty A100 Window Gasket Supplier ?

Post by Guest Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm

I got all the window gaskets from Steele, am putting in the rear window first. I've put windows in before, but no matter how much soapy water we use, the top of the window would just not go in. We got the bottom and sides in, but it seemed like the window was too tall. So I started measuring the old gasket vs the new gasket, seems like the new one is either made incorrectly or the rubber is just too hard to conform. It seems pliable enough because we can pull the inside gasket lip over the sheetmetal flange, but it seems like the rubber is too hard and the bottom isn't compressing down enough to let the top squeeze into the opening. Temp in the garage was 75

Either made incorrectly or the rubber is just too hard

Any recommendations on manufacturer or installation method?

Thanks much
    lear0
    lear0

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2017-04-28

A100 Window Gasket Supplier ? Empty Re: A100 Window Gasket Supplier ?

Post by lear0 Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm

once you get it in 90 percent are you banging on it with your hand to seat it

32dooscoop likes this post

Post by Guest Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestion... Yes, I'm trying that. The top lip won't even pull over, the rubber is too far from the frame. Seems that the little lip on the bottom rearmost edge wont compress enough to let the whole deal slide down and let the top in.

I called Detroit Muscle who I bought them from, they just said "yeah, they're oversized and hard to get in there, I dont want to deal with it, just return them".  So that's not helping me much.. noodling on the solution...

Also, it turns out they're not made by Steele or Precision, checking around to see who DOES make them. Detroit Muscle who I bought them from is not being helpful at all.

Last edited by BillWelter on Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Russell
    Russell

Number of posts : 698
    Registration date : 2015-12-08

Post by Russell Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 am

A100 Window Gasket Supplier ? Img_5914
    I had the same problem with the windshield seal from Steele on my Chevy, turns out the seal was just too long. After cutting it and re-installing it around the glass I could see why it didn't fit.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 am

More info - the windshield rubber is made by many companies, but the rear and corner glass seals for A100/108 Pickup is made only by Fairchild Industries, and sold through many suppliers like Weatherstrip Depot ($200 per set) and Detroit Muscle ($100 per set) (who doesn't want to deal with customer issues)....

Since there's only one supplier, I'll need to make these seals fit somehow....

Post by Guest Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:38 pm

OK, I dug up my old rear window gasket, still in pretty good shape. Measured the old one and the new one, there's a 1/8" difference all the way around ! No wonder there was 1/4" too much at the top on the new gasket, and it's so hard it won't compress much.

So I'll put the old rear window gasket back in, and look for some good used corner window gaskets...

To be continued....
    lear0
    lear0

Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2017-04-28

Post by lear0 Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:33 pm

so the way to put these type windows in is to run a heavy twine all around the rubber trough[?]till they are lapping each other at the bottom,then lots of dawn detergent soap on the rubber and pinchweld. set window in at the bottom,with someone on the outside pushing in,start pulling your string over the lip,letting the edge of the rubber over the pinchweld,do each side then come up over the top,pulling that rubber downward as it goes over pinch weld.there that was clear as mud,huh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am