VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

More Questions?!

More Questions?! Empty More Questions?!

Post by Guest Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks again to everyone for your feedback on recent posts; it really helps!

A few more things:

1. Regarding wheels / tires, I currently have the original 14" wheels, but they are really rusted and I think I should replace them. If so, is there any reason to keep the originals and have them reconditioned, (is there any value in this?) If I replace the wheels, should I stay at 14" or go bigger for any reason? Regarding tires, the previous owner suggested that I use at least 6-ply tires on this van due to it's weight and for use on dirt/gravel roads. What are your thoughts on tires for this vehicle so that I can get the smoothest ride in tandem with having tires that can handle minor off-road use?

2. Gas cap area: As you can see in the picture, there is significant rust in this location. Has anyone else had to deal with this? Any recommendations on how to fix it? (NO BONDO!)

3. Gas heater, (in rear of vehicle): The previous owner didn't like it and I don't see a need to have it, (nor do I like the idea of having propane on-board.) I'd like to remove it and have the exhaust hole covered, but does this detract from the value of the van? If anyone is interested in it, let me know and we may be able to work something out.

4. Fuse panel: Rusty! Please let me know if you have a replacement or know where to get one. (see picture.)

5. Right side rear door: -is dented in and there is a gap between the doors as a result. Are these doors easy to find in good shape and how much do they go for?

6. Interior: Is there a specific online source for door panels and / or interior parts?

7. Seals: Around the front windows, the weatherstripping needs to be replaced....does anyone have this or know a good source?

8. Windows: The chrome/metal finish of the window frames (exterior) is rusty....any way to fix this? Can these be replaced?

9. Towing: I have a 307 V8 that runs strong, but I'm wondering what experience people have with using these vans for towing.

10. Seats: The seats are beat up and I'd like to replace them.....any advice on what seats fit / work well?

*I'm sure I'll blast everyone again, but for now I appreciate any feedback!

Take it easy,
    Nabor J

More Questions?! _dsc1610
    More Questions?! _dsc1410
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

More Questions?! Empty Re: More Questions?!

Post by Scott Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 pm

Hey Nabor,

You will also find plenty of information in the 'Original Forum'..

I'm sure youll find some of the answers your looking for, just dig into the different sections and flip through the topics. Theres plenty there to digest, just take your time.
    gp70
    gp70

Number of posts : 162
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by gp70 Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:58 pm

4. Fuse panel: Rusty! Please let me know if you have a replacement or know where to get one. (see picture.)

I had the opportunity to grab some parts off a 73 or 74 Chevy Pickup and one of the things I grabbed was the fuse box. On my 70 the fuse holding tabs were rusted thru and hardly made contact anymore. Didn't give the 73 PU fuse box a good look but thought I could draft it into the 70 somehow. Well, when I did take a look at it and compared the 2, son of a b***h, if it isn't a direct match to the one on the 70. Talk about lucking out. It bolts right in the same holes as he original. There will be some splicing involved, but if anyone is looking for a replacement fusebox for their Sec. Gen., look no further then a 73 pickup. And I suppose you could grab as much of the wiring harness out of a 73 and keep the splicing down to a minimum.

Original

More Questions?! 607_640

73 pickup

More Questions?! 606_640

Hope this is of some help. It took me a couple hours but it was a no brainer for me, and all the electrical works fine now
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:17 pm

I tried 17" wheels on mine and they fit,,,,,so wheels from 13"-17 " would fit with the right tires. All our vans got or had rust,,,,you need to cut out the rust and weld in a good piece of metal in its place,,,,same thing for fixing holes,,,I have towed cars across country, over the Rocky Mountains in the snow with my 6 cylinder 1965 Chevy Van,,,,side doors with windows are easy to find,,,,lots of seats can be made to fit in the vans,,,,,I have Mazda 626 seats in my van,,,,,$15 each,,,,door weatherstripping from a newer Dodge Van,,,,,,$1.50 each,,,,,I would not worry about the Vans value,,,,,,they don't have any to the rest of the world,,,You will never get your money out of a Vintage Van,,,,we do it because we love em,,,,,
    wacko
    wacko

Number of posts : 423
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by wacko Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 am

Hey Don,
    Are you using the newer Doge van weather striping around the doors on your van? How much do you get for $1.50? Do you have a part#?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:14 am

I get my weatherstripping from the wrecking yard,,,,out here the Pick a Part yards have 1/2 price sales each month so I climb through all the cars and trucks to see what I can find that can be made to fit my van. Like this front door weatherstrip off an S10,,,,,fits perfect on the Doghouse,,,,and the Dodge Van front door weatherstrip is trimmed to fit my van doors,,,,all of them,,,,you just got to find vehicles that still have good weatherstrips still on them......Just like the seats,,,,anything that is less than 22" wide fits,,,,,you will need to figure out how to mount them,,,,,,

More Questions?! Weat10

More Questions?! Wstrip10

More Questions?! A_litt10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:01 am